Fire prisms rending falcons obsolite? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fire prisms rending falcons obsolite?

with the new rules i cant see any reason to have a falcon any more. the new submotion thingy is uber powerfull when combined. any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

Personnaly, I like having Redundancy(sp?)

So I'd still take at least 1 Falcon, because the enemy doesn't have to kill both Prisms to render them ineffective, but they'd have to kill2 Falcons to stop them from shooting.

Plus there is the transport capacity, a plus in my book.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well are you sure you want that tank so close to the enemy?

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

Bu tif your unwilling to move, how are you supposed to get to and hold objectives?

In war, risks are mandatory.

Its a trade off, you have to put the Falcon and the unit inside at risk, but you can't srtay at the back of your deployment zone either.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Astroth View Post
    with the new rules i cant see any reason to have a falcon any more. the new submotion thingy is uber powerfull when combined. any thoughts?
    Why so worried dude? This is the second thread by you that has this theme. A combined submunition shot is cool but its also a lot of points and 2 HS slots for something that may miss. Yes there will be times when the new Prism is better than a Falcon. Other times the amount of shots a Falcon can pump out will be far more valuable (MC's for example).
    Senario objectives might mean the transport of 6 models (harlies, farseer) usefull/maybe vital.

Give the new codex some time to settle before writing off some great units...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

One is not strictly better than the other. It depends what you want the tank to do. Versatile firepower is the fire prisms department, while volume of support fire for a transported unit is what the falcon is for.

So a fire prism isn't much good if you're trying to push forward something like fire dragons or a small objective taking unit.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

59 (x1)

Falcons are not Obsolete. Not by a long shot. I love carrying surprises in my Falcon. Most recently, I had a unit of fire dragons inside, and they jumped out and fried a Hive tyrant.

Plus, with the boost in effectiveness of the scatter laser, the stock-standard version is worth something. While they arent as super-survivable as they were with Holofields-Spirit Stones, they are still a great unit.
    * "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken2544 View Post
    ..Plus, with the boost in effectiveness of the scatter laser, the stock-standard version is worth something. While they arent as super-survivable as they were with Holofields-Spirit Stones, they are still a great unit.
    Granted the scatter laser is at least reliable now

But is it the best secondary weapon - I was wondering about starcannon and shuriken cannon upgrade?

Pulse Laser & Starcannon gives me up to 4 AP2 shots and SC gives me up to 3 at AP5, whereas the scatter laser is up to 4 at AP6 so if I target things the Scatter Laser can hurt the Pulse laser is overkill - otoh if I target with the P/L the S/L probably won't dent it, but the S/C might?

What do you think? Is there a best fit weapons load out for the Falcon - (especially where it may be the only tank in the army)?

?
    Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken2544 View Post
    While they arent as super-survivable as they were with Holofields-Spirit Stones, they are still a great unit.
    Whats this now? I still won't be able to get a codex for a week, but from what people had said I thought that

-holofield is the same
    -spirit stones are now extra armor (which is actually better for falcon survivability
    -vectored engines mean you have to roll boxcars to take out a moving falcon (though it's really vunlerable on the ground.

If what I believe is true the falcon is still a great unit. I often even play mine out in front because they are so resiliant and they force leadership tests to shoot at my more vulnerable stuff. Also they tend to get close for fire dragon or other aspect warrior delivery.

Frankly I'm not that highly impressed with the fire prisms. You essentially need to buy two of them to get yourself a weird Leeman Russ. I don't think they're bad. It's just I don't think they're a great deal better than a falcon.

Of course if the holofield is nerfed than maybe it's time to put those troops in waveserpents and fire up the prisims.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

59 (x1)

Best secondary weapon?

Well, lets look at what you want it to do.

The Scatter Laser and Starcannon have the same strength.
    -Against MEQ's, you will be wounding on the same die roll.
    -The Starcannon has 2 shots, while the Scatter Laser has 4, which means you are more likely to inflict wounds with the scatter laser. Now, your opponent will likely get a save against the scatter laser, whereas the Starcannon's AP value prevents that.
    -With some lucky rolling, a Pulse Laser/Starcannon combo can kill up to 4 marines (even terminators). With the Pulse Laser/Scatter Laser, you can inflict up to 6 wounds, and denying 2 armor saves with the pulse laser.
    -Against vehicles, you have the same chance of doing something with either the starcannon OR the scatter laser. As far as vehicle hunting goes, the Falcon is mediocre at best.

I don't take the starcannon unless it will be guided, or I really need the AP. And since I have Wraithcannons, D-Cannons, Howling Banshees, Bright Lances, fusion guns, etc...I normally don't need the starcannons. (I have a vyper squadron for just that purpose)

The falcon is nominally for infantry suppression. In my opinion. Use it to chew up infantry, and the pulse laser can help reduce pesky armor from the equation. I've dropped more 2+ save Hive Tyrants/Carnifex from weight of fire than AP 2 weaponry. And after pulling that off...a squad of space marines is like a walk in the park. The Falcon I am building is Pulse Laser, Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon. Its goal in life is A: transport Hunting, B: Light infantry suppression, and C: Transportation. In that order.
    * "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast