Do you use Wych weapon models? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Do you use Wych weapon models?

Just thought I'd ask whether people actually use the Wych weapon models in their squads when they do in fact have Wych weapons. I'm kind of a stickler for WYSIWYG, which then leads to a frustrating conundrum. All wyches have splinter pistols, and in theory all wyches have the wych weapons, even though only a few models are required to show them. If you use the wych weapon models, then they are without splinter pistols, and thus not WYSIWYG. Alternatively, if you don't use wych weapon models, well, in theory your opponent can have a winge. Now, I just use normal wych models all around (plus the succubus model) since I just play with my friends (and they were cheaper than the wych weapon models), but my two questions are:

- Does anyone do what I do, and just use regular models and claim wych weapons?
    - If you do that, has anyone ever complained? If so, was it at a tourney, or just a club game, were they just a big sook or did they seem to make a fair point of it?

Wych weapons are pretty much standard these days, I can't imagine not taking them, so I'm just curious to know what other people's experiences are.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I know, you can have wych weapons as well as a splinter pistol+Close combat weapon. So when modelling, you can use the normal wyches and say 'hey, these dudes have wych weapons, k?' Or can even explain that the CCW that they have is the wych weapon.
    Just wondering are you using the codex that explains wych weapons such as 'shardnet and impaler'? If so, you should check the Dark Eldar Codex Updates.
    ;o

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Wych Weapons

I personally have had no problems fielding models of any of these choices. No one has said to me "hey that wych there has no wych weapon shown on it" or "you can't shoot a pistol from that one as it is not modelled with one."
    But I see your point here if you are sticking strictly to the rules. I usually equip all my wyches with wych weapons and fleet instead of shooting so this specific problem has never come up. This is a case of discussing the problem with your opponent prior to the start of the game.
    Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by wickywacky1 View Post
    I personally have had no problems fielding models of any of these choices. No one has said to me "hey that wych there has no wych weapon shown on it" or "you can't shoot a pistol from that one as it is not modelled with one."
    But I see your point here if you are sticking strictly to the rules. I usually equip all my wyches with wych weapons and fleet instead of shooting so this specific problem has never come up. This is a case of discussing the problem with your opponent prior to the start of the game.
    Cheers.
    Well my wyches use the witch elf models so I can just say they all have hydra knives. Glue the holstered pistols from the warrior sprues to their sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

I thought the entry for wyches pointed out that you only need a few wych weapon models to meet WYSIWYG?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

198 (x7)

Thats completely true, doesn't mean you can't have more.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenozuma View Post
    Thats completely true, doesn't mean you can't have more.
    Sorry, that was directed at the OP. Because the entry says this, having one or two means he IS fulfilling WYSIWYG, so the problem doesnt exist.

Sorry for the mix up. (I use Dark Elf witches too..)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wych weapons were important under the first revision of the DE codex when there were different versions of weapons(each having different abilities). When they revised the wyches, all those weapons (like hydra knives et) are no longer apart of the dex. Now, they are just a squad upgrade. The wych models still come with them and you can use them certainly. But they are no longer delineated as being different.

Its a little along the lines of an agonizer. What exactly does one look like? Is it the trident spear that the female lord holds? Beats me

I'm betting that if we do indeed get a new dex/models in 08, you won't see whats depicted on current models.

Like Tenozuma, I use Dark elf witches. On about half the models, I cut off the swords and attached splinter pistols. I used some kroot grenades attached to a few models to represent plas grenades. I can't for the life of me remeber the true wych models having any grenades in their blister packs.

Anyway, I have played quite a few tournies and have never had a problem. I think you have to have a reasonable approach when playing someone. If the model has an option and its a big item, then it should be represented. Squad options where they all get the item or none do is a case in point. I don't get worried if a marine player doesnt have melta bombs on his marines. As long as he paid the points.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

225 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Redant View Post
    Anyway, I have played quite a few tournies and have never had a problem. I think you have to have a reasonable approach when playing someone. If the model has an option and its a big item, then it should be represented. Squad options where they all get the item or none do is a case in point. I don't get worried if a marine player doesnt have melta bombs on his marines. As long as he paid the points.
    Bingo! I think Redant summarizes this perfectly and that is how I deal with this situation.

I use the Dark Elf wyches too and gave them pistols as well. The only thing that I am a stickler for is the difference of a Punisher vs. an Agoniser. I will not let myself use one or the other without it being on the model - its a personal thing, I like to think that I am doing as much as I can to stay WYSISYG but I have to admit I dont do the grenades (I think that is cool however!).

Any pole weapon with a blade is a punisher - Leliths trident is a punisher but the others are not.
    Any whip is an agoniser.

The claw like weapon on the Sybarite I have cut off and put it on the Reaver succubuses for power weapons and the glove claw thingy on the Lord I use on a Reaver Lord as a power weapon as well.

Wych weapons I dont bother modelling and as long as it is in the list then all is good.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

188 (x4)

It seems like most of this has been covered but oh well...

I also use the fantasy witch elf models. Half of them have the little dagger thing cut off and replaced with the pistol from the warrior sprue. The other half of them have converted wyche weapons made in the following ways.

hydraknives: cut the bayonet blade and the stock blade off warrior splinter rifle. Glue to top and bottom of witch elf hand.

Falchion + razorsnare: Use the chain things that came with the reaver boxed set.

Shardnet + impaler: net made using green stuff, impaler made using Saurus cavalry spear with daggers from witch elves added to the sides.

Plasma grenades from guardian sprue added to random models

Makes for a great looking squad and no one can complain about WYSIWYG cause they are totally by the book.

As far as agoniser/punisher/power-weapon confusion, I'd say to keep a common theme throughout your army and no one will complain. In my army they look like this

Punisher: Halberds
    Agoniser: "Wolverine" style claws (and whips on beast masters)
    Power Weapon: Sword

really easy to tell the difference so there's not much room for argument from opponents.
    The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. Bring them understanding of the power of ourselves through our strength and their fear. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all fragments will be smashed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be consumed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast