The Horror! The Horror! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

The Horror! The Horror!

In the description of 'The Horror' Hive Mind power, it says "Any enemy unit that wishes
    to assault a creature with this power... "

I always assumed this meant it worked only for the first phase in which a unit attempts to charge a beastie with The Horror: they declare a charge, make a Ld test, and if they pass they can assault as normal.

However, one of my opponents suggested that the wording might mean it works on EVERY assault phase that a unit is fighting with the beastie, meaning that there is a chance the unit will just stand there and let the beastie tear them to pieces. This seems a bit unfair.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

Personaly, I feel that the wording "to assault" means that you currently aren't in assault, so that means it only works when they charge.

AFAIK.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

Its definatly for the first phaze only. Once your locked into the melee of hand to hand combat your technically no longer assaulting, youve already assaulted and now your ripping the snot out of each other

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

I've seen a 4thEd newbie try to argue that it works for every round... What he failed to grasp is that the wording has changed a bit between editions, and that GW generally has a less than stellar track record for wording their rules clearly.

Back in 3rdEd, "Assaulting" was used much more commonly. Nowadays, it has been mostly replaced with "Charging". The 4thEd book still uses Assault in a few places, the obvious one being "Assault Phase". However, many instances of using Assault as a verb are contextually more clearly equated with charging. Though again, many, not all.

Basically, "make an assault" equates with "charging" which is different from "fighting in an assault" (at least using 3rdEd logic). Also, "wishes to assault" equates to "charging" because that's the only time You have the option to decide what to do: Once in combat, You fight and wishing is irrelevant.

Here it would likely help to know that Horror is a copypaste from 3rdEd Tyranid Codex and that GW didn't bother to clean it up at all for 4thEd. Thus us old fogies would know the intention, the problem is just proving it to people who never played 3rdEd.

Even in such a case I'd see it contested as "unclear", as the wording certainly doesn't explicitly support the intepretation that it would work on every round of combat. As it can't be argued clearly, this issue is one I would tread carefully on and assume it works only when an enemy is trying to charge the model with Horror.
    Last edited by Uzi-99; November 2nd, 2006 at 10:17.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Thanks for the suggestion - I am also a 4th ed noob but I have bought a copy of the 3rd ed codex and I can borrow a 3rd ed rulebook to do some back-tracking.

I think the problem lies in the combat part of the turn being called the 'assault phase' and the wording of the power.

+ Reply to Thread