Vyper ideas - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vyper ideas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

Vyper ideas

I wsa thinking about taking a unit of cheap vypers with 2 shuriken cannons each to harass enemy flanks, provide infantry suppression, and provide close in air support.

The second squadron of vypers will have missile launchers. To provide a bit of stand-off firepower. Now, these guys are fragile, but I am thinking that if I have more valuable targets for my opponent to shoot at, these guys would be a really big nuiscance.

I really want to use these guys. But I have a problem reconciling the cost to effectiveness. I hope that you fine people can give me a few pointers in making them rock as much as I want them to.

It's not so much about my list, as it is about the chance to use something unorthodox effectively.

(No one uses Vypers around here)

* "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

OK Vypers 101:

1. (And this applies to all eldar) look at that BS - naff isnt it, so dont give a vyper a weapon that is single shot (typically Brigh lance or star cannon - you will be relying on that sort of weapon to take out some tank, and half the time the vyper will miss), until the new codex, teh most effective form of vyper was star cannon and shuriken cannon, however, nowerdays I suspect 2x Shuriken cannon or shuriken cannon and scatter laser woul dbe the prefered route

2. Look at that armour - naff isnt it? you can bring down a vyper with a spud gun, a whole unit of vypers can be brought down with a whole unit of spud guns, but if you split your vyper unit up into 3 single units, his spud gun unit can only tatrget one vyuper per turn. so always minimise the number of vypers in a unit and maximise the number of units
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x3)

Something else I'd heard of doing is taking the dual shuri vypers and,knowing they're probably going to die swifty, put them in front of an advancing melee or devestator unit. When they get blown up they'll slam down some terrain that will block LOS and make it hard for the enemy to walk.

Also with dual shuris I strongly advise trying to get them deep into enemy territory. You'll want to hit that rear armor and make opponents choose between either not advancing or not shooting at the thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My prefered use of Vypers is to give them one shurikannon and hide them until turn 6 or so and use them to zip onto an objective.
    "They say the Darkness consumes you. They don't say what happens after It's done."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x3)

Also you can use terrain to keep them shooting and safe. Basically you ust position the so they have LOS on something that can't return fire, like regular troopers in a devestator squad, while having a woods sheild you from everybody. Of course the question then is are the 6 BS3 shots you'll get worth the points?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you should even use them unless you spent an insane amount of money on them. they are only going to hit half the time and with two shuri kannons that is 6 shots. use the points elsewhere
    Zoe: Doesn't the bible say something specific about killing?
    Preacher: Yes, but it's somewhat fuzzy on the subject of kneecaps.
    -Firefly

+ Reply to Thread