Serpents of Fury - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Serpents of Fury

I apologize if this is nothing new to veteran Eldar players. I admit before hand that I know Jack and Squat about the Eldar, and Jack left a few hours ago.

However, I'm always on the lookout for new, interesting tactics. Especially ones that are "less than the norm." For instance, I like all infiltrating armies, or all Drop Pod armies. Anything unexpected that makes life harder for the opponent. So the idea of an entirely mechanized Eldar army appeals to me.

Tau have a good reputation for the 'Fish of Fury' tactic. What I'm wondering, is with the boost to Dire Avengers, can Eldar now pull that off, but better? If the Tau can do it, and effectively, just how good can the Eldar do it?

Some points to ponder:

Pros:
    • Dire Avengers have better Ballistic Skill than Fire Warriors.
    • Dire Avengers have better range than Fire Warriors, offering more manueverability.
    • Dire Avengers boast higher Leadership.
    • Dire Avengers have exactly the same survivability, with the exception of Bonding Knifes. Which Tau players don't usually take.
    • The Wave Serpent has better armament than the Devilfish, with the Shuriken Cannon and Scatter Laser. Seven S6 shots is nothing to sneeze at, and at a better range than the 'Fish.
    • Wave Serpent is much more survivable, with Spirit Stones and whatever else it may have.
    • Most importantly - Bladestorm. Up to, what, 42 shots per unit?
    • Doom. That + Bladestorm = 7 dead MEQs.... from Dire Avengers!

Cons:
    • Lower strength of the weapon. That's not such an issue, since you'll be hitting with more shots.
    • Perhaps cost? Not sure exactly what a full unit would cost.
    • Bladestorm reload. Though, you could use this turn to hop back into the Serpent and relocate to a better position.
    • Having to paint that many tanks.
    So is this something that all Eldar players already know, and I just never hear about? Or am I on to something? Perhaps I've over looked something critical? I haven't recieved my copy of the Codex yet, so I'm speculating with what information I do have avaliable.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

think it would work out rather good. dont think that painting alot of tanks is a con tough

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking of going that route. I once ran 2 ten man Guardian squads in the last and it did quite well.
    "They say the Darkness consumes you. They don't say what happens after It's done."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

Well from what i've read it sounds like a solid plan Caluin, I can comment further when I get my dex tommorow. Back the up with fire dragons and howling banshees (mechanised of course) and it has very high potential of being a deadly tournament/friendly list. What are you think about for HQ if any besides the Farseer?
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

The only thing I see wrong with it is that we have better things to stick in a wave serpent. Tau can only really choose fire warriors. We can put in 10 banshees or fire dragons and dish out much more damage.

Its a good tactic though, one that I'll try out once I get to GW.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

I'll disagree that all drop pod armies are all that unusual.

But people are discussing the fish business.

Now we've been "fishing" in fully mechanized Biel Tan armies for a while. However we'd use fire dragons. Not as many shots but their weapons make a mockery of Marines units. Which playes into my favored "and they shall know no armor saves" style of play.

In fact even after bladstorm the dragons are still better at taking out MEQs in the field and they don't need any dooming. And a squad of ten can really be relied on to drop anything less than a monolith.

Alas biel tan seems to have been struck down and now all mechanized means dire avengers.

Though the 18" range is significat as one of our logistic problems has been that serpents deploy to the rear not side, so we can't put our models into the "V" . This was solved by making a weider V where the serpents hips are together. The new DA range means we have more flexibility.

My reluctance is that after all the points you have to sink into DA's, serpents, and farseers your MEQ kill rate still isn't that good. Not as good as the kill rate from guardians with starcannons(not the new starguns) at any rate. But I bet people will try DA fishing now.
    Last edited by sunnyside; November 4th, 2006 at 04:49.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by LordLink View Post
    The only thing I see wrong with it is that we have better things to stick in a wave serpent. Tau can only really choose fire warriors. We can put in 10 banshees or fire dragons and dish out much more damage.
    Ah, but do those Fire Dragons or Banshees count as Troops choices? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside
    In fact even after bladstorm the dragons are still better at taking out MEQs in the field and they don't need any dooming. And a squad of ten can really be relied on to drop anything less than a monolith.
    True, but the Dire Avengers will fare much better against non-MEQs than the Fire Dragons will. This would essentially be a "Take All Comers" list, so having something that's good at both taking down MEQs and Hordies is a good pick.

I only used the MEQ killing power as a reference for how much fire power they can dish out, since that's what most people measure it by.

Quote Originally Posted by Helbrecht
    What are you think about for HQ if any besides the Farseer?
    Probably an Autarch, if anything. The Avatar doesn't fit into the theme of the army, but a Winged Autarch does. And he could be build for tank busting, since the Serpents would be using Scatter Lasers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Well I plan to take a mix of both. Banshees and Harlequins in falcons, scorpions, fire dragons and dire avengers in wave serpents.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Caluin
    Tau have a good reputation for the 'Fish of Fury' tactic. What I'm wondering, is with the boost to Dire Avengers, can Eldar now pull that off, but better? If the Tau can do it, and effectively, just how good can the Eldar do it?
    This tactic was well known before the {spists} Tau and it was called ''the guardian fists'' I believe that it was published on 40konline if not even on the forgotten eldar-online site. However it wasn't been very popular since people rather used transports to transport aspect warriors (Banshees, Scorpions, Dragons, Seer Councils) to the fray, this may now change however, since even a small Dire Avenger squad can fire a huge number of shots and unlike Tau we have the tools to finish the job, even if this means getting a little bloody.
    This above all; to thine own self be true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caulin i like this idea alot, although if you are playing an army like mine, where lascannons and missle launchers are common( they are our best friends!) the wave serpents could be killed befor they get to unload their dangerous cargo. once those banshees/firedragons/avengers are stranded EAT HEAVY BOLTER MUHHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!( they are our other friends)

"and they shall know no armor saves"
    Well that about sums it up.
    Zoe: Doesn't the bible say something specific about killing?
    Preacher: Yes, but it's somewhat fuzzy on the subject of kneecaps.
    -Firefly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast