feral orks, why do we play them - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -38 (x0)

feral orks, why do we play them

feral orks, why do we play them is their something im missing besides loads of mad boys and the squiggoth why bother? this is a serious question and i dont mean to be rude, but i dont get it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by turborobo View Post
    feral orks, why do we play them is their something im missing besides loads of mad boys and the squiggoth why bother? this is a serious question and i dont mean to be rude, but i dont get it.
    Because it's a variant army list, and because people might want to. Why do people play with the old Craftworlds from the Eldar army list? Why do people choose specific Legions in the Chaos army? Why do people use Blood Angels, Space Wolves, or Dark Angels Space Marines? Why do people use the Ork Klans? I could go on and on.

Short answer - variety, and they want to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -38 (x0)

so its not for some special strat. to win. its because its a fun thing to do. i guess i could get behind that so what do i put in a feral ork list besides a bunch of mad boyz and a squiggoth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, There are alot of ways to field a Feral Orks army, as it is basically a codex within itself. I suppose it's really up to you. In my own opion, I think that the Wild Boyz are an interesting choice, as they forgo the use of the slugga, and instead use another often primitive weapon instead. Also, the Hunta's with BS 3 is actualy kind of interesting. They are essentially Imperial Guard shooting boltguns, except tougher. Gretchin are always a good choice as well. As far as fast attack goes, I think that the boar boyz are kind of cool and definately fit into the army's theme. I have actually used wyrdboyz in an ork army with my opponents consent, and they are a lot more useful than they seem. Plus, the Giant foot of Mork is just too cool not to use them as support models. Or, just charge them towards the enemy and have him throw up all over them. Finaly, if you can afford a squiggoth, go for it. They look really cool finished on the table, but they are very very expensive money wise, but hardly at all points wise. Other than these units, the others are either kind of a point sink, or only very useful against very rare and often unruly armies. The one thing I do want to say, is that Mad Boyz I have also tried, and they don't do anything good at all. All mine did was squabble and fight amongst themselves, and then run into the way of a firefight and got shot down.
    hope this helps
    -JL

Senior Member Badruk the Mighty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cos it save you some money. Instead of buying seperate WH40k and WHFB armies, you can just fork out the dosh for a single horde and use them as the core for both games. :w00t: Kick the crap out of some skaven one week, then stick the boot into some necrons the next. Marvelous!
    If you drop a shell on your foot an it don't urt, your shoota aint big enough!

coz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

also its because you cant do a proper snakebite army using codex orks.
    I miss them old boarboy models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

I would challenge anyone to find a sillier unit than madboyz in the entire game..

They have a near-guardsman cost with marine strength and toughness, multiple attacks, the ability to be doped for even better stats and a 'weakness' which only kicks in one in every 6 turns and otherwise makes them fearless. The one downside is the lack of special weapons.. but with stats like that who cares.

I'd bet money on there not being a more cost effective unit around. If I was play an ork army, it would be feral orks with maxed out madboyz..
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; November 26th, 2006 at 18:28.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis View Post
    I'd bet money on there not being a more cost effective unit around. If I was play an ork army, it would be feral orks with maxed out madboyz..
    Yeah.....it looks good on paper, but it's not as great as you think. Simply put, Madboyz are not dependable. I've run them in multiple armies at multiple point sizes. They have more often than not been my own worst enemy. That 1 in 6 chance really starts showing up when you have 6 squads of Madboyz.

My favorite experience was:
    Turn 1 - rolled a 1, bummer. On the chart rolled a 6 for extra movement, awesome!
    Turn 2 - rolled a 1, bummer. Fall back. Oh well, still technically on "schedule"
    Turn 3 - rolled a 1, sheesh. Fall back. Great.....
    Turn 4 - didn't roll a 1, thank goodness. Hopefully they'll still have a chance to get stuck in.
    Turn 5 - rolled a 1, OMG! On the chart rolled a 1! Free wounds for my opponent, Hooray!
    Turn 6 - didn't roll a 1....but who cares by this point. They are only halfway across the table. 140 wasted points.

One botched roll per squad per game (which, statistically should happen) can put a damper on any plans you might have had with the squad.....and if they were at an important area, it impacts you even harder. If you get unlucky enough to get two botched rolls for a squad, you're likely squigfood. I'd much rather pay the extra 2 points for dependability. Remember, a squad of 12+ Slugga Boyz is just a s fearless as those cheaper Madboyz.

Personally, I play Feral for Huntas, Boarboyz, and the almighty Squiggoths! Man....nothing draws heavy fire like a dinosaur.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually tried an Feral Ork Army once. it was very dissapointing...at first.
    Besides the fact that you have to get 'em across the field without too many (note that many and too many are two different things ) casualities is a hard thing to do. especially when you have a bunch of foot sloggers.
    what made the army worth while was when i finally engaged the enemy. then it was choppa time. i regret that i didnt have a squiggoth or any boar riders and i am sure that they would of been more than a boost to the overall game. but feral orks do have thier qualities...what they are is something that the ork player has to figure out on thier own.
    wWWwwAaaaAAgggGGGhHHHhhh!!!! = DeAth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

What about an army with 3 units of the infiltrating elites. 6 units of madboys with a loaded pigdok. 3 jumbo squiggoths, and a warboss. Put rocket launchers on everything that can take em. That would be pretty sick. You line the squiggys up and place your mad boys behind em so your opponent would have a very hard time drawing line of sight to them. Your 30 (huntas is that infiltating ones?) Get in close to the enemy and tie the up with their fire. They are a 100% distraction. With 3 monsters and and over 120 dead 'ard boys running accross the field combined with 30 sneaky gits infiltrating/disrupting/tieing up fire...The Green Horde would be pretty tough. If possible throw in a wyrdboy. I am thinking about making this army. I think it would be fun to play. Take a long time in the movement phase though LoL...but man if that wave ever hit cc...it would be over i dont care what it is. A unit at half strength would throw done 40 attacks (at a good chance of being str. 5) Thats insane...

Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast