Help! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help!

Hi i am new here and was thinking of starting a Tau army. I am leaning more towards Dark Eldar but i want to know your opinions on why i should choose Tau. I like em for long range and all that but i need more info. I have posted this in Dark Eldar section too. Oh and i am getting either codex tomarrow i think so i am excited! also this will be my first army.

thanks in advance.

This is our most precious gem...it lives forever...repeats itself...and you cannot run from it...it is our HISTORY

Find it...Consume it...Live it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cuz Hamerheads>raiders. I mean >>>>>, >>>>, way >.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Dark Eldar and Tau are similar in some respects but at the same time occupy totally opposite sides of the spectrum.

Tau have many advantages that make it hard for other armies to oppose them, Dark Eldar especially.

Our tanks are significantly tougher than Dark Eldar, and have better weapons for taking down tanks, though in smaller quantities. The Dark Eldar are very much focused upon getting some unit into close combat most of the time, and have enough speed to do it; The Tau are very much focused upon keeping all their units out of close combat all of the time, and generally have enough speed/sheer firepower to do it.

The Tau are for those who wish to have an alternative to the rather bland Imperial Guard 'firing line' army that consists almost solely of pointing and shooting. We have slightly less firepower overall (We have no masses of heavy weapons like Lascannons in infantry squads, so our firepower is actually significantly less), however we have something they can only dream of; Mobility. All of our tanks are skimmers, and have access to gear that allow them to move a full twelve inches and still fire, despite not being fast vehicles and having decent armor to start with. This allows them to take advantage of the Skimmer Moving Fast rule, downgrading all hits to glancing no matter what, and still fire the monster who's name instills fear in the heart of all... railguns.

However, for all our firepower we have severe issues. No dedicated close combat units, no especially tough units (Everything in our army is capable of being insta-killed), and a severe lack of Ap 3 or better weapons.

It's not the easiest army to start, and many battles will be uphill, especially Tyranids and Necrons. The Tyranids have sheer numbers, speed, and the extra push in their monstrous creatures to break a Tau static line and are still problems for mobile lists as well. Necrons are notoriously hard to kill, having a statline identical to that of a space marine (with the exception of leadership and initiatve; They're as slow as dirt and almost never run away) and an extra roll that allows them to simply stand back up after you manage to knock them down. One is speed, the other is toughness, and we simply can't deal with that.

Imperial Guard armies can cause trouble through the sheer amount of firepower they can direct at you, but this is about an even match for Tau most of the time, especially in 'to the death' games when they simply have numbers and their tanks are tougher.

Overall, the Tau are an effective army, but they can't really be 'cheesed out' like other armies can. We're moderates.

The Dark Eldar have an extremely tough time with everything though, so I would recommend Tau if you're just beginning and want an army that you'll be able to win a couple games early with. They're simply too brittle to make their punch mean anything. Only go with them if you really feel you must, because they are an extremely hard army to play and master.

Hope this helps.
    "My capacity for hard work is immense. It's my willingness to do said work that's lacking..."

Fluffmaster Clan Member

Shas'El A'ava Mont'Ein D'ran O'Kroot - Tau Fluff HERE

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I think Tau beat IG handily. Vehicles beg for Rail guns, of course. Submunitions, Stealths, and Kroot can just chew through their ranks like it's a holiday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau and ESPECIALLY Dark Eldar are pretty tough starter armies. Both are very mobile and fragile so you can lose a large chunk of your army pretty quickly when you make rookie mistakes.

Arent Dark Eldar getting a new codex sometime in the near future? When they do, many of the rules and probably much of the (outdated and ugly) models will change.

On the other hand, Tau arent really an overpowering army.
    KROOT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

I don't know what armies you play, but here there is simply so much high strength, low ap, long rang firepower sitting across the board that it's almost impossible for me.

Sentinals and Bassies aren't too bad to take down, but Leman Russes are not even a fifty-fifty chance with a railgun shot. Even with broadsides and drones, the amount of targets that need to be taken out is staggering.

All the Leman Russes, The Heavy Weapons teams (The HQ platoon with six lascannons and three assault cannons), the Sentinals, it's all spread out so that if I move I get blasted in the side, and if I don't I'm going to get penetrated by something or other at some point. It's not the infantry that gets me, it's all the heavy weapons and just the sheer numbers that do it. JSJing can only do so much.

I've never had an easy game against the Guard. I don't know, what are some tactics you suggest?
    "My capacity for hard work is immense. It's my willingness to do said work that's lacking..."

Fluffmaster Clan Member

Shas'El A'ava Mont'Ein D'ran O'Kroot - Tau Fluff HERE

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the secret is, and this is a big one...........is that if you have less than a 50% chance with one shot, then you are going to need two shots!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorCurly View Post
    I don't know what armies you play, but here there is simply so much high strength, low ap, long rang firepower sitting across the board that it's almost impossible for me.

Sentinals and Bassies aren't too bad to take down, but Leman Russes are not even a fifty-fifty chance with a railgun shot. Even with broadsides and drones, the amount of targets that need to be taken out is staggering.

All the Leman Russes, The Heavy Weapons teams (The HQ platoon with six lascannons and three assault cannons), the Sentinals, it's all spread out so that if I move I get blasted in the side, and if I don't I'm going to get penetrated by something or other at some point. It's not the infantry that gets me, it's all the heavy weapons and just the sheer numbers that do it. JSJing can only do so much.

I've never had an easy game against the Guard. I don't know, what are some tactics you suggest?
    Kind of sounds like you're playing on planet 'bowling ball'. Does your shop use the doctor recommended dose of terrain? Because if you can't get of of line of sight once in a while then there aren't very many tactics that will work for you.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+ Reply to Thread