Uses of the Shadow Weaver - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Uses of the Shadow Weaver

Now we have all hated support weapons and I must say with the new codex everyone still hates them. I must say I agree that the d-cannon is now identical to a wraithcannon (why pay for it when you can get wraithguard?) and the vibrocannon needs LoS to shoot meaning it will get gunned down unless you spend the points for 3 with conceal.

However I'm taking a look at the Shadow Weaver. A serious enough look that I'm considering dropping my reapers for them.

Anyway now that they are so cheap does anyone else think they are good enough to use?

They are pinning right? (multiple barrage) so that means they can be used quite effectively against enemy dev squads huddled into cover. Indeed anything that wants to huddle into cover will be hurt by the shadow weaver.

Also not every army out there has a 3+ save, imagine what this could do to Imperial Guard.

Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

Actually, Vibrocannon does not need LoS. (They deliberately removed the "Within range and LoS" from the entry)

You choose a point within range, and draw a line to it. It works just like Fury of the Ancients except A) We have a range limit, We have to roll to actually hit anything.

I use all of the support platforms. Not regularly mind you, but often enough to know that they have their uses.

Shadow Weavers have the benefit of range, can cause pinning, and will wound just about anything under the sun. No AP value to speak of makes people dislike them, but as long as you are going after infantry, the AP value would be moot against most non-MEQ armies anyway. (And if it could affect them, we wouldn't be having this discussion ) Against horde armies, they are worth their weight in gold. (I like to use them to hunt IG command squads )

Vibro Cannons for what they do now, are absolutely Golden! Razing a squad apart with sonic resonance just seems nasty. High Strength, and auto glance, makes these a very nice all rounder.

D-Cannons. Somewhat dumbed-down. No longer using the ordnance table for Penetrating hits, and the reduction of their Strength makes them somewhat less appealing. However, they still evoke fear in even the most stalwart heart, and when used for area denial, really come into their own. I use these as "shepherd guns" forcing my opponent to engage me on my terms. Works quite well if I do say so myself.

Now, do I think they compete with the Falcon, Fire Prism, War Walkers, Wraithlords, or Dark Reapers... That is for another thread. Do I use them? Yes. Are they my first choice? No. But, they are one of my first choice of my second-string.
    * "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Forsaken ahs provided a realyl good list of the weaponry there for su[pport weapons and its uses, I would go further, I agree with this statement that like for like they dont compete with reapers , falcons, walkers etc, but they can complement them, and they are comparably cheap, e.g short on anti tank? take a vibro cannon it wont eat your points, it doesnt scare people, right up to the point where it takes out a vehicle per turn
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Forsaken ahs provided a realyl good list of the weaponry there for su[pport weapons and its uses,
    Chere, you're slacking!
    AGLOCO - Earn money by browsing the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Krevzi and Me
    Warhammer is like crack. But more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Learn parasite, that us Chaos players like to have our cake and eat it. In fact, we particularly like stealing the poor necrons' cake and eating that too, because they're too slow.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

Oh I am so looking up the vibro cannon again when I get back to my codex.

Are you saying that it can punch through trees and mountains on the way to that basilisk or land raider? If so they just shot way way up in my esteem.

I used ot use D-cannons but I don't like them anymore. They're still respectably threatening. The real difference is that with my starcannon guardians and CTM starvypers the enemy had to come to me and thus into cannon range. With the advents of crappy guardians and the stargun I now have to go to my enemy, meaning the D-cannon would be harder to use.

Being cheap I am tempted by the shadow weaver. But not a lot.

EDIT: OK it looks like the vibro cannons do shoot through mountains! I think how they work is fairly spelled out against infantry. But how many hits are assigned to vehicles?

For example if a unit of 3 cannons roll a 1 4 and 6 and then the line lands on a vehicle how many glancing hits does it take?

I could see arguments for.
    1 (only one line/battery)
    2 (the number that rolled a "hit")
    3 (the full number are counted against infantry after all)
    d6 (the number of hits a "unit" takes)
    Last edited by sunnyside; November 10th, 2006 at 03:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's just one hit. "a target with an armour value always suffers a single glancing hit." Seems quite clear to me.

BTW little upgrade for the D-cannon (a mate of mine pointed out) since the blast doesn't have a strenght anymore, it can't be halved for not getting the center hole on the tank. So if even the smallest part of your blast hit's the tank after scattering, it's still the same dice roll. That's a little advantage over the old one...
    The Morbidos Fleet will reclaim the Eldar empire. This time there shall be no mercy. Let them choke in their own blood!

+ Reply to Thread