Swooping Hawks VS Walkers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x1)

Swooping Hawks VS Walkers

Hi all

Just a quick question

Does the swooping hawks intercept skill work in close combat with a walker, it clearly states that it is effective against all vehicles, I'd imagin not due to walkers fighting differently in close combat to tanks and such but I thought I'd just check to see what other people think

Thanks

Project Genestealer Cult

Blood Bowl > You

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Interesting question..

I say yes, they do. It doesn't specify anything about walkers in the description of Intercept, it merely says vehicles. Since walkers are vehicles, it seems logical that it applies to them. It's a special circumstance which overides the rules in the main rulebook. I'd imagine you'd be wanting to use haywire grenades anyway.. since grenades only hit mobile walkers on a 6+, it seems that the situation is just like if you were attacking a skimmer or moving vehicle to me. Weapon skill doesn't come into it.

This could be a brutal, but potenatially very rewarding gamble.. Players who haven't read the new codex are going to be pretty damn surprised when your hawks charge a dreadnought and haywire grenade it with their high initiative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

I'd agree with the previous poster. I haven't read the Eldar codex, but from the sound of it, that's how it should work. Dark Eldar players have a neat little trick where one of their units can get an item that allows them to always hit in hand-to-hand combat on a 3+, and then they take haywire grenades. The only minor catch there is whether "hand-to-hand combat" is meant to be taken as being synonymous with the assault phase, or whether it actually means you need someone fighting back.

I've heard about this tactic being used to take down Necron monoliths with ease though (something that they seriously struggle to take down otherwise).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

The thing is that dark eldar upgrade maks enemies hit them back on 3's too. And not only that, but only a succubus can have it, which is a wych squad leader thus meaning they have to give up what they really excell at for being a below mediocre, expensive, very vunerable tank hunting squad. Swooping hakws on the other hand are awesome at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there,

I dont think Dreadnoughts are classed as Vehicles. They are classed as Walkers and have seperate rules. They just use a vehicle profile. Just the same as a Wraithlord is a walker but uses and infintry profile. Neither are classed as vehicle or infintry, just walker so I'd say no in this case.

Regards Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I honestly believe that you can use the power.

In the previous edition you couldn't, as walkers had to be fought using normal assault rules, but in this edition you can choose to lob a grenade at them on a roll of 6... fixed roll, regardless of WS, just as if you were trying to hit a skimmer vehicle, thus intercept grants you the ability to hit on a 4+.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by sharkimus View Post
    Hi there,

I dont think Dreadnoughts are classed as Vehicles. They are classed as Walkers and have seperate rules. They just use a vehicle profile. Just the same as a Wraithlord is a walker but uses and infintry profile. Neither are classed as vehicle or infintry, just walker so I'd say no in this case.

Regards Mark
    A wraithlord is not a walker, it's a Monstrous Creature.

Walkers are still considered Vehichles, and Swooping Hawks can hit them on 4+.
    Nights Justice Space Marines
    Eldar Eth Kariel Craftworld
    Spear of Kurnous - High Elf Expeditionary Army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

I dont think Dreadnoughts are classed as Vehicles. They are classed as Walkers and have seperate rules. They just use a vehicle profile.
    Walkers are just a particular type of Vehicle, much like Fast, Tank, or Skimmer are all kinds of Vehicles. Walkers still use the Vehicle Damage Chart, still have armour values, and can be effected by Krak Grenades and Meltabombs.

Just the same as a Wraithlord is a walker but uses and infintry profile.
    Actually, the Wraithlord is not classified as a Walker. It's technically a Monstrous Creature now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If a dreadnaught is a vehicle then it cant be locked in melee combat. This would mean that it can move back 6" from melee combat, shoot all its weapons, then charge back into combat getting all its melee attacks plus bonus charging attacks.
    EVERY ROUND!

Vehicle or not?

cya

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Yurtalpus View Post
    If a dreadnaught is a vehicle then it cant be locked in melee combat. This would mean that it can move back 6" from melee combat, shoot all its weapons, then charge back into combat getting all its melee attacks plus bonus charging attacks.
    EVERY ROUND!

Vehicle or not?

cya
    Nope, that's incorrect. The key difference is that the Dreadnought has a WS statistic, where most vehicles (like Rhinos, Devilfish or whatever) don't. Vehicles without a WS can't actually participate in a close combat, as they had no means of striking back, where a Dreadnought most certainly can.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast