Disintegrators being defensive weapons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Disintegrators being defensive weapons

I've always enjoyed packing my Ravager up with 3 Dissies and cruising around at 12" a turn spraying 9 S4 AP3 shots a turn. I did this on the basis that the Disintegrator was being fired as a defensive weapon.

Last night I was talking to a fellow that's generally quite knowledgable in terms of 40K rules, and he said that it had been clarified that if a weapon has a mode that is S7 or better, then it counts as a primary weapon, even if you choose to shoot it at the setting that would be considered a defensive weapon. I checked the rulebook errata and didn't find anything on this.

Is anyone aware of the current ruling on this topic? Because I'll be quite frustrated if what he said is correct.

(Note: He wasn't trying to screw me over, we weren't even gaming at the time)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

I think its a matter of which mode you plan to use, maximal for offensive and sustained for defensive. No where in the rule book does it state anything about it so its probably our bst assumption, its one of those either/or cases so i think the fair way is just looking at the way you plan to fire it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe Wraithguardian and you are correct. You choose the mode of the weapon. If you move over 6" on the raider, then 2 of the dissies can be fired on sustained mode (which is S4) and the last can be fired on max. As the Dissie isn't always a S7 weapon, it doesnt always count as a "main" weapon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so your saying that it would be able to move 12" and fire said weapons... makes sence, it would mean it moves the full distance and may not fire at full power right? but it can unload low strength shots....sounds logical, i mean it wont blow ships out of the sky so i think it sounds in order... and main weapons are guns that can penatrait armour, generaly speaking.

sorry for interupting, just passing through
    In the name of god impure souls of the living dead shal be banished into eturnal damnation. Amen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Check out page 63 of the BGB. The second paragraph in the right hand column specifically covers what to do when weapons have variable strengths, such as the Dissie. It even goes so far as to use an example.

Short answer, though - your friend was wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bluealien 47 View Post
    so your saying that it would be able to move 12" and fire said weapons... makes sence, it would mean it moves the full distance and may not fire at full power right? but it can unload low strength shots....sounds logical, i mean it wont blow ships out of the sky so i think it sounds in order... and main weapons are guns that can penatrait armour, generaly speaking.

sorry for interupting, just passing through
    Just follow the chart in the BBB that Caluin references . But to answer, it's fast and a skimmer so it can move up to 12 and fire a main and all defensive weapons. Its not necessarily the AP on main weapons against vehicles but the strength. The reason the dissie is death for marines on sustained mode is because it has ap3.

Honestly, I started using a DL and 2 dissies because S7 doesnt cut it against real tanks. But having a lance weapon does (except against the monolith and a blessed hull LRC).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Good spot Caluin, thanks muchly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Redant View Post
    Just follow the chart in the BBB that Caluin references . But to answer, it's fast and a skimmer so it can move up to 12 and fire a main and all defensive weapons. Its not necessarily the AP on main weapons against vehicles but the strength. The reason the dissie is death for marines on sustained mode is because it has ap3.

Honestly, I started using a DL and 2 dissies because S7 doesnt cut it against real tanks. But having a lance weapon does (except against the monolith and a blessed hull LRC).
    I'm genuinly interesting, not making a point, but don't you have enough lances in the rest of your army? I mean, on all the raiders, in sniper squads, blasters on bikes or warriors etc..

Ravagers are all 3 dissies for me, I never need even more lances, lances are plentiful anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I normally run a cult so I don't actually have that many DL's. Counting the one I put on my rav's and one I put on one of my raiders, I have a total of 9. Early game attrition usually knocks out about half of them as my warrior squads draw a lot of fire until the WWP gets deployed.

On the rare occasion I run a kabal, I do have several more. I generaly don't run raider squads as I use my raiders for wyches. Both armies are CC themed.

+ Reply to Thread