starting orks, bad moons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

starting orks, bad moons

i've wanted to begin an ork army for a couple months now and decided to start bad moons. i like the fact that they get flash gitz as troops and can have multiple battle wagons.

i know the warboss can have a kustom mega blasta for free, but is it worth to have him in mega armour or just to make him a 3+/5+? (both with a nob retinue)

what else besides flash gitz should i get? i know i want a bike sqaud but not sure what else...

hive fleet of tyranids-2000pts
    bad moonz orks-1500ptz
    Orcs clan Red 'Eads-1000pts

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, I play straight codex orks (mostly) but have looked at the clan options, and dismissed bad moons, because it limits your slugga boys, the heart and soul of the orks (IMO). If your plan on running BM, you only have 2 problems I can see.
    1) Shooting. Orks suck at it. As I often say, Orks cant hit the wide side of a barn, from inside said barn. However, 20+ shootas WILL hit something (normaly) and if you give your flashgitz more dakka (expensive, I know) you are doubling thier firepower at ranges over 12". That being said, almost every army gets scared by big shootas, and 4 of these, plus nob, makes me lean toward more, smaller mobs, therefor bringing even more big shootas to the table.
    2) Less Sluggas. As I said, I think these ladz are the core of the ork army. If your using a list that limits them, you need to replace them with something (coff-scarboyz/ardboyz-coff)
    Other than that, mega-armour, while fluff-suiting, stops your Nobs and Warboss toting more big shootas. I find (even for "codex" orks) a better choice is the cybork bod, bionik arm + head, and eavy armour. Tool him further with a PK and bigshoota. He still gets the extra attack in CC thanks to the B. Arm (and an auto S4 hit at I6 to boot). If you'd prefere him to have his free KMB, give him ammo runts to re-roll those inevitable 1's
    Oh, and LOTSA KANZ!! These are never unwelcome in my army.
    Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

If you want to do badmoons i say do it. I have been highly successful with my badmoons. First and foremost, Flash gitz have a few advantages. Against marines you can tool your guns to have the option of AP3 which is wonderful and if you get really close AP2. In addition, against other armies you can make your basic troops to have Assault 2 Range 24 inch guns which is actually highly effective. Granted your basic troops become more costly but this is worth it.

In addition, when mounted in a Dakka wagon Flash gitz are perfect. With the badmoons rules you can automatically upgrade to a mek instead of nob, and take the KFF. This give you a mobile fire base that has some pretty good armor, and counts as hull down at all times. Not to shabby especially since you can shoot 3 TL BS, 6 Bolt on BS, and 4 BS from the squad... lots of Dakka!

The warboss is good, and i usually put him in the Mega armor, then put him in a squad of Ard boys with a Nob with Mega armor. People have different feelings on this, i do it as the tactics i use have a few slow moving mobs backed by lots of buggies and 2 battlewagons. This is what i use, and granted when it loses it loses big, but i lay orks for enjoyment not to win.

The Kan wall is a fine tactics. With badmoons you really only need 3 kans in a squad to block for your boys. I've found it works fine. And the kans are just there to get blown up anyway, usually 1 per game makes combat. Plus again with the Flashgitz and the mek with KFF they become that much more survivable.

Lastly, i highly recommend adding Zagstrukk to a Badmoons army. He is much faster than normal boys, and tying units up in combat always is a good thing for orks. My basic list usually looks like this to some degree. I have left weapons options off for the most part.
    2000 pts
    HQ
    Warboss-Mega armor, kustom mega
    Big Mek-Mega armor, KFF
    Elite
    Stormboys/Zagstrukk
    Ardboys x15
    Troops
    Flashgitz x14 4 BS, Mek w KFF
    Flashgitz x12 4 BS, Nob w PK
    Flashgitz x 10 4 Rokkits
    Burnas or Tankbustas
    Fast
    Buggy x1 TL BS
    Buggy x1 TL Rokkit
    Buggy x1 TL Rokkit
    Heavy
    BW-Dakka
    BW-Dakka or Looted Demolisher
    Kans w Rokkits x3 with Plates.
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I take back my reservations about Bad Moons, that looks to be a pretty stong force Mouse. Have you run it against Nids? I think I may give something similar a go. This "dakkawagon" people mention, is it a seperate vehicle, or just a battle wagon with lotsa bolt-on BS? If its a diffeerent vehicle, where can I find rules for it? Any info would be appreciated

And remember: Orks always win, koz when ya win, ya win, and if ya lose, ya get ta come back an 'ave a nuvva go, so it don't count...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

A Dakka wagon is simply a Battlewagon with 3 TL Big Shootas, 5 Bolt on Big Shootas and a squad inside with as main Big Shootas as the squad can carry. In a mega battle where points where not important I brought one with 3 TL Big Shootas, 5 Bolt on Big Shootas, and a Squad of Warboss/Nobs with another 10 Big shootas.

Its a lot of points-towards 300 including squad- in one spot but it tears holes in armies with little save IE Nids-guants, warrior that don't upgrade. It's almost always wounding on 3's which is nice.

There are also what i refer to as "Drive by trukk" This is a trukk with a Big Shoota, with a Bolt on Big Shoota, a squad of 5 trukk boys with a big shoota, and a Nob with a big shoota. Effective on a "drive by" it give 12 Str 5 shoots. For a cheap Budget price. Also don't underestimate drive bys with a combi scorcha into squads of scouts. Try giving the trukks the Red Paint job, drive 13, unload 2 inches, and scorcha. It increases the range of the scorcha by 15 inches, works great against Eldar since its AP4
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks. the dakka wagon (battle wagon) sounds useful. i think i'm ganna give my warboss the KMB because it's a free chose, and give him an ammo grot or 2.

bad moons are pretty useful towards 'nids. i play 'nids and the thing that kils me is that the enemy sahoots me down alot of my guys before i get there, that and majority of my own guns are short ranged.

yes orks have bad shooting, but if your have enough guys shooting it kills the enemy .
    bad moonz orks-1500ptz

Senior Member Badruk the Mighty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget about flashgits. In a bad moon army you can take them as troop choices as well as elites. Twenty orks with the dakka upgrade can lay down 40 shots a round up to 24", while moving. Great for hosing as you advance, or (against nids) while backing away.

Or you could go to the extreme: five-ork strong flashgit squads, all armed with nothing but big shootas/launchas (4 for the boys +1 for the nob). Nine squads like that are fragile and expensive, but they should be able to hit something.
    If you drop a shell on your foot an it don't urt, your shoota aint big enough!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget about flashgits.
    . that's one of my reasons for being bad moons, flash gitz pwn, but they need more than one sqaud and that's why bad moonz are good + i get to have 3 battle wagons if i wanted all of them being dakka wagons with flash gitz inside with bigshootas to shoot out the top which means.... 3 TW big shootas, 5 bolt on big shootas, and 5 big shootas from the flash git sqaud inside.

if my entire retinue of my warboss had big shootas then could they all just shoot them out of the wagon all at ounce or is there a rule to how many can shoot out at ounce?
    bad moonz orks-1500ptz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the vehicle is open topped, everyone can shoot.:yes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just been re-reading the clan options for Badmoons; says that you can take a mek (+ 3 oilers) instead of a nob for most mobs. Might be interesting to have a couple of 30-strong shoota mobs, each protected by a kustom forcefield. :w00t: Or if you want to add a bit more firepower, how about a kustom megablasta.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast