Dealing with Troublesome Eldar Units - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dealing with Troublesome Eldar Units

Hello all, first time poster with a couple of issues in my fights against the Eldar.

I'm a fairly new necron player, but I've amassed a good sized army. My friend (and most common opponent) is an Eldar guy, and I've had tons of trouble against him. In fact, I haven't won against him in probably eight games.

My problem basically comes down to two things: starcannons and wraithlords. Everything else I've learned how to counter very effectively. Starcannons soon won't be nearly as bad a problem with the new codex, but Wraithlords remain a problem.

I've tried pouring gauss fire into them, but it seems to only waste shots that could go into killing his troops, and usually results in me being phased. My lord gets destroyed when he tries to go one on one, and Tomb Spiders never reach him in enough numbers to survive the initial attack. I've even tried dual monoliths firing particle whips, but its simply too likely to scatter and is completely cost ineffective. It usually comes down to two wasted turns pouring fire into it, the Wraithlord surviving, and then it getting into a squad of immortals or warriors and tearing through them, hastening phase out.

The only solutions that seem likely to work are these: swarming him with Scarabs to tie him up (which doesnt work if he gets even one turn of fire on them, or if others back up his Wraithlord in assault), using a C'tan specifically to hunt him down (which is tying up a ton of points to down one unit), or dedicating three to five heavy destroyers to take him down (which have never withstood starcannon fire long enough to do the job).

How do you all deal with one or more Wraithlords?

Second problem, which hasn't yet come up but seems sure to give me problems: harlequins. I can't think of anything other than scarab swarms to tie them up to deal with them. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the sounds of it you have just been really unlucky. I have never had any problems with wraithlords, and even killed one with a single squad of rapid firing warriors. Sure that was very lucky, but it seems you are just overly unlucky to not have been able to kill it after everything you've tried. All i can say is keep your units hidden until you are ready to kill it and just hope you get a bit more luck with the dice.

As for harlequins i havent played them myself so i cant offer too much advice ... all i can really do is theorise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I played against a Uthwe player who usually had 6 Star cannons (5 on Vypers) and 2 WL in a 1500 point army....I never was able to beat him. I was glad to see his Seer council and Star Cannons get nerfed in the new Codex. I'm looking foward to our next match.

The thing about Wraith lords is they are slow. They have to foot slog all the way accross the field of battle. If you are not able to pump enough shots into the WL to take him down before he gets to you, keep a monolith or lord with VoD nearby to teleport your units out of CC. Then pump more shots into him once he's disengaged.

Remember, these things are now effected by Wraithsight. Kill off the warlocks and seers and you might get lucky and have a turn or two with the WL just standing around begging to be shot.

Just out of curiosity? How many WLs is your friend playing with? and how many points do you usually play?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Response

Thanks for the responses so far.

Generally we play between 1500-1800 points, and he varies between one and two wraithlords. He usually only takes one, perhaps out of a sense of fairness since he wins almost every time anyways.

So far it seems as if the best way to deal with it is to either avoid it or take 4-6 heavy destroyers. The problems with these two methods are that, with the first, we tend to play games whose objectives take me into the center area of the board. With the second, I've found that one three man squad of heavies has always been wiped out by starcannon fire before getting shots on the wraithlord.

So it seems as if I'll either have to work harder to avoid him, or keep the heavies safely hidden until they can pop out to take their shots in tandem with other units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

i have once played against an Eldar player who was just annoying, he used 3 WL on 500pt and i have only once beaten that list by using this tactic on 500pt

1: lord(Rez Orb) between the two squads
    2: Focus on one WL at a time
    3: Keep moving one squad behind the other each round, this gives you one squad that can shoot at the WL every round
    4: As soon as the WL is within Assault range he is also within Rapid Fire range
    5: the rest is luck

This tactic works quite well against most nerf things at almost every size battle, but beware of Ordance.

My 2cent

"I could calculate your chance of survival, but you won't like it."
    "Shut up! Sit your ass down in that chair and DRINK YOUR GODDAMN TEA!" - Cid FFVII

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

OK star cannon have lost potency, on a vyper or in a guardian squad he will kill slightly less than one per turn on average, almost ignorable, there are certainly more pressing targets, things that will work are massed fire power (think big warrior units and destoryers) you will probably have to finish it off in close combat, but a warrior squad can do this, or you can, as someone suggested, use for example, your monoliths teleport to get out of there
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

If you have a Monolith, field it. The Monolith was almost specifically designed against the Eldar, by neutralizing the strength of their finest anti-tank weapons.
    (Destroyers and Immortals are also fantastic against Eldar.)

Against Wraithlords specifically, you will have some problems. The Necrons' general lack of low AP weaponry means that Necrons will always have a little issue with Monstrous Creatures. Fortunately, they are quite slow (even slower now that they have Wraithsight) and you are generally afforded ample time to kill of all the other Eldar before having to deal with the Wraithlord itself. Massed Gauss fire really is the only realistic way to take it down.

I'm sure a lot of it is just general unfamiliarity with the Necrons, too. As you become more accustomed to the army's strengths and weaknesses, you'll find your units becoming more effective.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

Nah, the monolith is only the be all and end all against dark eldar. Not that many people will use bright lances anymore because they're hideously overpriced you'll be seing alot of fire dragons now, which smash necrons with their fusion guns, which are now just as good as melta guns. Starcanons are nerfed now they will knock down slightly less than 1 necron a turn, and he has a good chance of getting straight back up. Wraithlords are slow and reduced in effectiveness in close combat, but better at shooting. (or it can be tooled to be about the same as it was before... but not quite) and it suffers from wraithsight now, so he has to keep a seer close at all times. But anyway, you could bring along a couple of heavy destroyers to deal with the wraithlord, or you could just ignore it and kill the rest of his force, which should be pretty easy since crons were designed to kill eldar pretty much, then you can turn all your fire on the wraithlord when everything else is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New problem

One new issue came up in last night's game: dealing with a farseer-backed 10 man squad of wraithguard using guide and fortune. 6 toughness rerollable 3+ saves are pretty hard to crack.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by jiadarola View Post
    One new issue came up in last night's game: dealing with a farseer-backed 10 man squad of wraithguard using guide and fortune. 6 toughness rerollable 3+ saves are pretty hard to crack.
    Hit them with a Particle Whip. That'll fix that unit pretty easily. That unit costs over 300 points, so hit it once and then run away laughing with your Victory Points.

As for dealing with Wraithlords, you might find that Wraiths are good at holding them in place, since they have a nice Invulnerable save, and Wraithlords don't get too many attacks (in the new book, anyway. If you're still using the old one, be careful trying this). Heavy Destroyers are probably your best bet, though I wouldn't load out on a big unit. Take 2 squads of 1, that way they can't both be eliminated by the same starcannon (or whichever weapon) in the same turn. Stay as far away from the Wraithlord as you can, and blast it with those brutal shots. I give it 3 turns at the latest before it goes down.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast