Starting Tau (not an army list!) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting Tau (not an army list!)

I'm thinking about ditching my Space Marines as I'm rather bored with the way that they play, can get a decent chunk of change from them, and have had my eye on Tau for a bit. I'm thinking about starting out with this...

2 Battleforces - $180
    2 Boxes of Fire Warriors - $70
    1 XV8 Battlesuit - $20
    2 Kroot Shapers - $16
    1 Crisis Battlesuit Commander - $25
    2 Railgun Bits, Collars (via bwbits.com) - $10
    Total - $321 (Can be shaved down to $250 through online retailers)

I'm well versed in the ways of rare-earth magnets, so making the battlesuits and Devilfish modular should be a piece of cake. Anyway, these purchases should net me...

1 Crisis Battlesuit Commander
    48 Fire Warriors w/ 8 Drones
    6 Stealth Suits w/ 2 Drones
    3 XV8 Battlesuits
    24 Kroot w/ 2 Shapers
    2 Devilfish/Hammerheads

This base should give me a few healthy options for creating a solid 1500 point army with some Kroot counter-chargers and guns. Lots of guns. I've screwed up in the past with starting a new chapter and don't want to do it again. Any comments would greatly help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

That's a lot of fire warriors there. 48! Noone uses 48 (except people that played Tau from 3rd edition and still remember the glory days).

Stick with 24 fire warriors in devilfish with 2 hammerheads, commander, unit of 4 stealths, couple of crisis, and kroot. Don't buy kroot shapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x3)

Whew, wow, alot of stuff. Sounds fine to me, but don't waste any money on the shapers. They're useless as they make your kroot more expensive for small benefits which aren't worth it.

Edit: Drat onlainari was typing at the same time. Ah well, too slow.
    Last edited by mephistophales; November 15th, 2006 at 08:26.
    win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

Ask yourself why in the world would you trust a win loss record? Playing them yourself is the only way to tell.

The true joy in the game is playing down to the last model, no matter the odds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i disagree i think 48 is a good number IF your running a static line the sheer amount of firepower coming fromwhat you described in static formation (assuming you take the hammerheads not d.fish) is enough to make a grown smurf pee his pants

also i agree with dropping the shapers they aren't worth it however some broadsides would look soo cool next to all that
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by relasine View Post
    I'm thinking about ditching my Space Marines as I'm rather bored with the way that they play, can get a decent chunk of change from them, and have had my eye on Tau for a bit. I'm thinking about starting out with this...

2 Battleforces - $180
    2 Boxes of Fire Warriors - $70
    1 XV8 Battlesuit - $20
    2 Kroot Shapers - $16
    1 Crisis Battlesuit Commander - $25
    2 Railgun Bits, Collars (via bwbits.com) - $10
    Total - $321 (Can be shaved down to $250 through online retailers)

I'm well versed in the ways of rare-earth magnets, so making the battlesuits and Devilfish modular should be a piece of cake. Anyway, these purchases should net me...

1 Crisis Battlesuit Commander
    48 Fire Warriors w/ 8 Drones
    6 Stealth Suits w/ 2 Drones
    3 XV8 Battlesuits
    24 Kroot w/ 2 Shapers
    2 Devilfish/Hammerheads

This base should give me a few healthy options for creating a solid 1500 point army with some Kroot counter-chargers and guns. Lots of guns. I've screwed up in the past with starting a new chapter and don't want to do it again. Any comments would greatly help.
    Dont waste money on the commander box, unless you want to use the special issue weaponry or heads, I did and I would have been better buying a normal XV8 box.
    The other problem your going to have is lack of vehicles, you either have 1 DF and HH or two HH or two DF, either way your limiting your mobility, and as Oni says FW are much better in DF (at least one unit, pref 2).
    I would advise buying the skyray you get all the parts for the HH and the skyray, and converting DF to HH is not at all an easy option.
    I would also advise against the shapers (complete and utter waste of time).
    Also I would have to disagree about the smurfs crying, I find my marine opponents always love it when static FW units are deployed, it makes it much easier for them to target with heavy bolters and to chase down with Assualt units etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice gang. After doing the math and pushing some numbers around (whilst taking some of the advice I've received here), I've come up with this purchase list...

1x Codex - 20
    3x Battleforces - $270
    1x Fire Warrior Boxes - $35
    1x XV8 Battlesuits - $40
    1x Hammerhead Tanks - $40
    1x Hammerhead Sprue - $16
    - $421 ($337 w/ shipping through online dealers)

This will net me...

1x Commander XV8 Battlesuit w/ 2 Drones
    3x XV8 Battlesuits w/ 6 Drones
    9x Stealth Suits w/ 3 Drones
    48x Fire Warriors w/ 8 Drones
    36x Kroot Warriors
    2x Devilfish
    2x Hammerheads

Provided I get a decent deal on my Space Marines (2500 points, well painted/equipped), I'll have money left over for more things like some Pathfinders, Pirahnas, another 'fish, etc. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno man, I cant imagine using that many firewarriors. Many armies rely on a solid core of troops but I don't think Tau fit into that mold. If your interested in mastering Tau I suggest you read up on standard Tau tactics. Despite what you've heard we can't go toe to toe with armies like Dark Angels and Imperial Guard, you need mobility to preserve your forces and overwhelm isolated portions of your emeny.

If your like any of the more experienced Tau players you'll quickly discover that a static line of firewarriors isnt as great as it looks.

Good job on the other purchases tho, a bunch of kroot (minus the shapers) some Elite and Heavy choises are exactly what make tau great.
    KROOT

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you should get 72 FW, all with Devil Fish.

Drop 'em off at the enemies front door and say "Hi."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StevenSane View Post
    I dunno man, I cant imagine using that many firewarriors. Many armies rely on a solid core of troops but I don't think Tau fit into that mold.
    These are my habits/experience with Space Marines/Orks talking. Lots of Tactical Squads/Slugga Boyz have made it much easier for me. I'll read up a bit more. I'm purchasing anything till I have a buyer for my SM troops (will probably have one by Friday). I'll start reading...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think you really need 36 kroot dudes. I only use 10 to act as a speed bump. But 3 kroot squads of 12 would be interesting to play with. Especially with kroot hounds...

I would suggest getting an extra crises suit simply because squads of 3 crises suits dont do as well as 2 squads of 2. Also, dont need 48 firewarriors unless you have enough devilfishs. Dont need 9 stealth suits as well.

Overall, nice set up. Would come out to be a very good list. IMO, I would get 2 battleforces, 3 crises suits, and 2 skyrays. Maybe some pathfinders for extra. It would come out to:

24 FW
    24 kroot
    4 crises suits
    1 commander
    2 DF
    2 HH/ Sky Ray
    6 Stealth suits

for $250-300. Its a good sized 1500 point list. Suggest you get everything from ebay.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast