The units I'm loving so far - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

The units I'm loving so far

I've gotten to play a little with the new dex and while a number of units have done well for me two have really stood out.

Shining spears + jetbike farseer.

The way these guys work.

Farseer starts off not part of unit. Casts fortune on unit. Spears then turbo boost. Farseer then moves 18" normally and either joins the unit or hides behind them.

The unit now has a 3+ invulnerable save with a freaking re-roll. I haven't lost a single one of those guys.

The enemy will usually move in some assault type units to threaten them(Don't actualy move the spears within charge range!).

However the spears have none of it. They leap over that unit and skill ride through some woods without fear of coming up short due to difficult terrain rolls into a devestator type unit or maybe a squad of heavy bolters. They slaughter that unit and then consolidate into another.

And I'm not kidding about the consolidation. Those bikes are on 6 cm bases. That means on the charge you'll use up base to base contacts quickly and be able to place by an engaged model. This means that you can have a pseudopod reaching 12cm out toward another unit. This means you have a consolidation range of about 20cm if you choose to use it.

The unit that moved forward to deal with the spears is then introduced to dire avenger shuri cats and some scorpeons(just happens to be what I had) or some of my other units.

The other unit I'm loving is the upgraded falcon with fire dragons.

Turn one, surge 36" forward. True most troops will make a tank shock test, but if you do it right a number of them will be making them so some will fail now and then.

At this point the enemy will, through fear of the falcon or failed target priority rolls, be pumping everything from heavy bolters to lascannons into it (instead of the rest of my army).

The falcon laughs and watches the unit it tanked shock run off the board because it can't regroup when close to the falcon.

Tun two the falcon scoots 12" and drops off the dragons, preferebly in front of their transport vehicle's only hatch or where the vehicle's melted shell will give the dragons cover. Kablammo!

Usually the fun continues after that as the falcon is still hard to take down and the fire dragons have a measure of cover.

Currently my 2000pt list is roughly.

jetbike farseer fortune
    pedestrian farseer doom

2 squads of 6 fire dragons.

10 scorpeons with exarc with both powers and fist

40 exarcless dire avengers (more shooty that way and they're guardian converts anyway)
    2 squads of 10 and 4 squads of 5

2 squads of 3 shining spears
    1 squad of 5 spears with exarc and starlance with abilities

2 falcons with everything and scatter lasers

1 shadow weaver (lets me see where their heavy vehicles are before I place a falcon and it occasionally does some good)

Last edited by sunnyside; November 16th, 2006 at 19:41.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Just a quick point (I'm not an eldar player so I can't offer much more), but you can't join the farseer to the shining spears the way you say you are.
    When you say he moves 18" normally, I'm assuming that you mean he moves 12", and then 6" in the assault phase.
    You can, however, only join units in the movement phase.

Not that really stops it from being an effective move, you can just hide the farseer behind the unit, as you said.
    Just thought I'd be a stickler for detail...

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

You are correct. I phrased that quite wrong, but I've always done it right on the table.

The way that has to work is you leave a jetbike a little bit back so you can get into coherancy with the farseer on his 12" move. The reason to do this is if you have a feeling pieplates of doom will be landing and you want your farseer to have a 3+ or 4+ with re-roll against them.

In the absence of pieplates and such having him just scoot in behind at 18" is the better move. Since it keeps you effectivly together.

Though in practice I find the farseer often ends up heading off to do something else as often as not. Mine has a singing spear ( I guess I could do a hand swap with a warlock to give him a witchblade) So often he'd like to go use that on some vehicle and fortune the scorpeons or someone else next turn. Or a full 24" move would leave him overexposed at 18" and so for that reason he goes another way.

This isn't so bad as a full squad of spears with exarc do a pretty good job of finishing a fight against a six man meq or ten man guard squad before the enemy can swing back. Though they do like having fortune when dealing with whatever they consolidated into.
    Last edited by sunnyside; November 16th, 2006 at 21:00.

+ Reply to Thread