Depolyment? Any tactic? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

Depolyment? Any tactic?

I would like ask you guys how you deploy your nids? Deployment seems to be a rather crucial part of a Tyranid game and it's the same importance on par with movement phase.

I've had a game last night with me using Tau decimated a Tyranid player on Turn 3 with him only having a fex still 13" away from the nearest model and a broodlord squad 5 light years away from charging. What I did was I purposily deployed my Kroots on one side of the table and all my firewarriors on the other side across all the way to the middle, with hammerhead and pathfinder support, I wiped out his entire left flank by Turn 3 and leaving his right flank charged into my Kroots and having nowhere to consolidate after the combat phase (not to mention my kroots handled a few on their own during shooting and combat in cover before they all died).

I've been trying to think of a way to counter such a shooty anti-nid tactic... no doubt anyone with alot of fire power could pull this off easily, such as Imperial Guard or even Space Marines with lots of assault cannon and heavy bolters -- since I do play nid myself and I dont want to end up the same fate.

To prevent my nid force from being seperated into 2 forces (through the vertical line across the center of the table), and gets one of its splinter force completely wiped out leaving the other half footslogging across the battlefield for the rest of the game -- kiting.. I've thought about deploying EVERYTHING clog up in the center of my deployment zone and go from there... maybe then spread out into 2 ways to try and contain the escape route?

How do you deploy your game?

Anima Tactics - try it out!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK well if am right, your asking what is the best way to deploy with out a flank dieing?
    try to make it even. like i try to. u saw how i deployed on Thursday. every thing was even except the fex(in mid) genes and hormas were on different sides.
    So my left flank(your right with the 12 genes) died but it still had 16 gaunts. and such.

So ill ask what every one asks
    What is your current list so we can help u further.
    No sig required.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

You didnt see the game last night, I divided up the battlefield into 2 parts, left and right. I left the kroots to the right side as a bait and a speed bump for one of his homagaunts + termagaunts to charge, while leaving the majority of my force (900 points worth) on the left side of the table wiping clean of his left side completely by Turn 3. It's true my kroots were sacrificed, but by doing so I made the battlefield turn 90 degree around.. where my kroots were standing became his new deployment zone and I was at the opposite end of him. Now, he has quite a distance to cover to get to me before he could assult... that's called kiting in a MMO term.

I am just thinking deploying everything too spread out would eventually backfire if your opponent decides to do what I did... so I thought what happens if I would deploy everything in the center of the table then split them two-way on turn 2 for multiple charge to keep the enemy contained.
    Anima Tactics - try it out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Getting your forces split in half like what happened to that guy you pwned is a very bad thing... plus it doesn't sound like he had a good idea of what he was doing, if he's charging headlong into your fodder and giving you an opportunity to reposition your firing lanes (as an Imperial Guard player, I have to say that is a very nice tactic)

When I'm deploying my Nids, I try to keep them together, like one cohesive unit (but not so close that ordnance kills us). It is a long, hard treck across the field, but you have to make sure you stick together, don't let your forces get split.

Generally, this means everyone is deployed about in the center, and follows the same path to the enemy (whatever path I deem is the safest and fastest). Sometimes this means we have to deploy slightly to one side, to avoid annoying terrain, or his advancing poo-throwers. I try to keep my deployment symmetrical too, so there's less chance of funny business. Except for the few units I have who need to whizz off and do their own thing, they deploy elsewhere. This includes my Flyrant, who usually whizzes down the far side of the table, hiding in every dumpster he passes.

Some people advize clumping everything onto one flank, thus neutralizing half of the opponent's army, but I think that is a lame tactic. Just imagine if everyone did that! The game would suck.

EDIT: It is also important to decide where the weak point in your opponent's formation is, and charge in that direction. If your troops get wiped and there's a gap in your lines, then converge a little bit to fill the gap somewhat (without slowing your advance though). It sounds like your Nid friend either split his force in half on purpose, thus dooming the half charging your more-than-half-strength Tau flank, or, you blew a hole in his formation and he didn't bother to ADJUST his plan accordingly. Having a flexible plan is VERY important... whatever unit I'm banking on in a game, that's always the first one that blows up... and then I need to quickly think of something else to do!
    Last edited by Abraham Lincoln; November 18th, 2006 at 22:53.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Your opponent fell very badly for your deception. If kroot were stuck by themselves on a flank I would have ignored them or left a small flanking force to stop them. Hell they don't have any armour so shooty guants will delay them long enough for the rest of your army to move into the other flank.

The Tau's major advantage is shootiness and mobility. They are hopeless in CC. Even guants ('nids weakest unit) will give Kroot (Tau's best CC unit) a hard time. Tell your friends he needs lots lots of Guants and 2 shooty Tyrants/'Fexs. The best tactic is to get into CC ASAP, remember CC blocks LOS. Use hormaguants, gargoyles, lictors and raveners to outflank the main body of the army to stop a shooting withdrawal. Use the MCs to take out the transports first. Tau also have girlie morale a few BS blasts or spore mines into their rear troops will probably make them run or pinned. Especially with a Psychic scream. Avoid shooting the front units. You want them tied up as long as possible so you have cover to move up.

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln View Post
    When I'm deploying my Nids, I try to keep them together, like one cohesive unit (but not so close that ordnance kills us). It is a long, hard treck across the field, but you have to make sure you stick together, don't let your forces get split.

Generally, this means everyone is deployed about in the center, and follows the same path to the enemy (whatever path I deem is the safest and fastest). Sometimes this means we have to deploy slightly to one side, to avoid annoying terrain, or his advancing poo-throwers. I try to keep my deployment symmetrical too, so there's less chance of funny business. Except for the few units I have who need to whizz off and do their own thing, they deploy elsewhere. This includes my Flyrant, who usually whizzes down the far side of the table, hiding in every dumpster he passes.

Some people advize clumping everything onto one flank, thus neutralizing half of the opponent's army, but I think that is a lame tactic. Just imagine if everyone did that! The game would suck.
    I agree with this general tactic. Nid army's need mutual support and have to hit in sufficent numbers to win. Opponents string their armies out to maximise their amount of shooting. Consider that all enemy units are spaced 8' apart. If he withdraws you won't charge until turn 3. Turn 4 your enemy withdraws 6', so you have 14+' to charge the next unit. But by this time you have had 4 turns of being shot to peices, so your guants are pretty shot up.

Surviving this really requires tactical skill and experience. Factors like terrain and army composition makes a HUGE differnce. Having a Lictor, or small Ravener or 'stealer brood can distract a lone sniper unit or devastor squad. Remember as you move to the other flank you will either be out of range or in combat so you have effectivly removed its usefullness.

You have to make some hard decisions when you deploy. Make a game plan and stick to it. If you change you plan half way through a game it may cost you extra turns moving. However your plan should have some flexibility to adapt to any major unexpected events.

It all comes down to experience and luck.
    Last edited by Zerling; November 19th, 2006 at 01:37.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

+ Reply to Thread