Shooty Tyranid warriors. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Shooty Tyranid warriors.

Hi. I need some help in constructing a brood of Tyranid warriors I plan to use a fire support. I think I will be using devourers, enhanced senses, extended carapace and toxin sacs, plus one barbed strangler. My question is should I twinlink their weapons, I don't like the idea of a cheap but unused weapon.

The additional cost is a fair bit. I find though that a simple pair of cheap scything talons makes me feel that they could so easily become assault Warriors with rending claws, leaping etc, but I already have a big brood of these.

The brood will total nine models to be divided up when in a game.

Any help will be welcome.(Y)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Leech View Post
    Hi. I need some help in constructing a brood of Tyranid warriors I plan to use a fire support. I think I will be using devourers, enhanced senses, extended carapace and toxin sacs, plus one barbed strangler. My question is should I twinlink their weapons, I don't like the idea of a cheap but unused weapon.
    I'd actually suggest using Deathspitters and a Venom Cannon instead of a Barbed Strangler. I find warrior-mounted Barbed Stranglers to be woefully inadequate, and the primary targets for shooting should be vehicles. By combining the longer-ranged Deathspitters with the Venom Cannon, light vehicles and skimmers (like Landspeeders) and light walkers are all threatened by every member of the brood.

[/quote]The additional cost is a fair bit. I find though that a simple pair of cheap scything talons makes me feel that they could so easily become assault Warriors with rending claws, leaping etc, but I already have a big brood of these.[/quote]

Secondary weapon should probably be Rending Claws. It's a bit more expensive then Scything Talons, but it'll definitely deter anything short of an Assault Terminator. Many players will think twice about charging a rending brood (even a fragile shooty one).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by PoptartsNinja View Post
    I'd actually suggest using Deathspitters and a Venom Cannon instead of a Barbed Strangler. I find warrior-mounted Barbed Stranglers to be woefully inadequate, and the primary targets for shooting should be vehicles. By combining the longer-ranged Deathspitters with the Venom Cannon, light vehicles and skimmers (like Landspeeders) and light walkers are all threatened by every member of the brood.
    The additional cost is a fair bit. I find though that a simple pair of cheap scything talons makes me feel that they could so easily become assault Warriors with rending claws, leaping etc, but I already have a big brood of these.[/quote]

Secondary weapon should probably be Rending Claws. It's a bit more expensive then Scything Talons, but it'll definitely deter anything short of an Assault Terminator. Many players will think twice about charging a rending brood (even a fragile shooty one).[/QUOTE]

Thanks that really helps out, I was so unsure but I can see the benefits of those big guns and the rending claws. I have loads of devourers already.:wacko:

The quick response was great thanks again.:w00t:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

Another thing to consider is buying a different gun. Give a few deathspitters or fleshborers, then depending on what your faceing, you have a choice of how to hit them. Tons of weak shots, a few harder shots or a nice blast. Sure your wasting one every time you fire but your gonna waste the CC biomorph anyway! At least this way youve got a more varied unit.

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

IMO deathspitters are the way to go as I find devours to short of range for warriors to be equiped with (better to be on a carnifex). Also TS on them are a must as well as EC and ES. Though IMO I wouldn't give them rending as they shouldn't meet too much resistance with their range and if they are then with ST they get 3 str 5 attacks which isn't too bad really. Plus why spend the extra points on the rending when you may never need to use them since they are spoused to mainly shooting.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I think Iwill be going with the deathspitters, all those templates sound apealing. I also despise skimmers so a venom cannon will be handy. I think that the twinlinked option is too much.

I think for the other weapon I will go with the rending claws. They are only marginally cheaper and considerably more effective, very good at scaring off terminators and other undesirables. Additionally I have a whole bag full of them spare and I really should take advantage of them.

My Tyranid warriors will have extended carapace, enhanced senses, toxin sacs and a deathspitter and rending claws, plus one with a venom cannon.

Thanks to everybody who posted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Leech View Post
    I think for the other weapon I will go with the rending claws... I have a whole bag full of them spare and I really should take advantage of them.
    Wait! Where in the world did you find spare rending claws??? Is there some hidden cache that I don't know of?? They only way I can imagine anyone having 'spares' is if you're using genestealer arms... Or do you mean the big ones?

I gots to know!
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

I got some old stealers on ebay and chopped off their arms for my rav's. Mabey you can buy the arms seperate on gw's site?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warriors with Deathspitters might look OK on paper, but the low BS, AP and Assault 1 hurts too much, in my opinion.
    On the other hand, a Strength 7, Assault 2 Venom Cannon is a great addition to an otherwise CC-oriented brood.
    A little problem with this "CC-Somewhat Shooty" approach, is that you must buy all Warriors in the brood the same biomorph.
    But the cost of Enhanced Senses for them is quite low, so if you take 2+1 formation, you pay only the price of a Krak Grenade as an extra cost, and lose only a single attack.
    So my suggestion is:
    3x Warriors (+WS,+I,+S,+BS,EC,Leaping)->2x(RC,ST)&1x(RC,Venom Cannon) 151 pts

So, it is basically a brood with a single Autocannon, that fires on the move.

Well, this looks BAD on paper, feel free to criticise it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by skizzik View Post
    Warriors with Deathspitters might look OK on paper, but the low BS, AP and Assault 1 hurts too much, in my opinion.
    Actually, it's the other way around. Warriors with Deathspitters tend to look bad on paper because of that single attack. The Deathspitters are primarily there simply to pick up the slack in case the Venom Cannon misses, because they can also hurt light vehicles (and can even pen them, on occasion). They're sorta like the heavy bolters on a Leman Russ... they're not the primary weapon, but they're statistically more dangerous then a CC brood that can't shoot (and has to sit around being a waste of points every turn) or devourers (which really aren't a good choice for Warriors).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast