Facing the Harlequin List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    264 (x6)

Facing the Harlequin List

By now I'm sure you all know that Harlequins are one of the most easily abusable units in our new codex. With immunity to most movement rules, rending, and the near-impossibility of shooting at them, it becomes increasingly more difficult to take down the Harlequins, their low toughness and mediocre invulnerable save aside, not to mention the fact that they can have Fortune cast on them to further increase their resilience to damage.

I'm going to a tournament sometime next month and will almost certainly be facing such a list. Worst case scenario, it will be 3 units of 6+ with Harlequin Kisses, a Shadowseer for Veil of Tears, and a couple of Farseers to cast fortune on them, plus whatever other units the player feels like putting in. I'm fairly confident in my fast Eldar army's ability to claim quarters and objectives with Jetbikes and transports but when it comes to actually killing the blasted things, I'm at a loss. How do you deal with those blasted Harlequins?

Edit: Incidentally, I'm also playing Eldar, due to my being a little trend-wh***, just not a harlie list :tongue:

Last edited by NiteRabbit; November 19th, 2006 at 16:53.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

A few Dire Avenger squads with shimmer shields and Defend? Should take even Harlequins a while to get through those. In general, if you have a fast list I would think you should be able to stay away from the Harlies and take out whatever else they have in their army.
    -destp
    Thousand Sons ~2750 points | Eldar ~1000 points
    Tzeentch Daemons ~2000 points

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Swooping hawk grenade pack is probably worth a look. You won't have to rely on spotting them, and you can have multiple goes if you really want to .

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fore prisms will work well, also warp spiders with their mobility and rate of fire
    Space Marines are the gateway drug

If everyone makes fun of West Virginia, who does West Virginia make fun of?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Problem is he's playing with a fixed list in a tournament.

I would try to avoid them for as long as possible and try to drag them of in several directions. Then I would jump in with whatever mult-shot weapons (jetbike catapults come to mind) and fire them off as close as possible, taking down one unit at a time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

most obvious: if you cant avoid combat, attack them first. a DA squad disembarking a serpent and bladestorming them. or jetbikes. get withing 4-5", shoot your twin-linked SC and attack them. the reason why you should be within 4-5" is simple. if you cause damage by shooting and your opponent removes those models standing closest to you, you might end up being out of charge range otherwise.

or attack them with banshees. although their powerweapons are of no benefit (which would usually scream: scorpions), their INI 10 in the first round of combat means they attack first.

a unit of 10 can have 32 attacks, which should deal with 7 halequins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This could be expensive, but the Harliquins will be too.

DA squad with bladestorm & Defend, maybe shimmershield, in a wave serpent with the star engines. Boast 36", unload before moving the next turn (which does allow you to assualt, yes?). Unload close, and shoot like mad. If it fails, assault immidiatly. Defend and the shimmershield should pull teeth, their a lot less threatening if they don't get the charge, and with numbers, you should be able to beat the remainder to death.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

For the OP if you have a list you plan to use for goodness sakes post it! It'll improve the detail of feedback a lot.

However if you have a highly mobile eldar force it should be just as easy as everyone else is making out. Those harlies only move 7-12 inches a turn. Just keep away from them until the rest of their army is in tatters and then lay into them.

If you're really worried about their farseers just give one of your farseers runes of psycher screwing and watch their farseers self destruct trying to cast fortune.

Note that a number of our units can hit them with little chance of a reprisal. Any of the jetbike units can hop in at ~12" make the shadowseer roll then scoot back to ~18" and probably not take any hits. And almost certainly not if they get behind some cover. Same with warp spiders.

And if you have units like Avengers stuck on the ground just use volume of fire to get them. Unless you did something wrong you'll get one close range volly off. And 30 shuri cannon shots should finish off a good 7 of them even fortuned. That's nearly the whole squad!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    264 (x6)

Well, the list I'm using is as follows:

HQ
    ==
    Farseer
    - Runes of Witnessing
    - Runes of Warding
    - Guide
    Total: 100 points

Troops
    =====
    10 Dire Avengers
    - Exarch w/Two Shuriken Catapaults, Bladestorm
    - Wave Serpent w/twin-linked Brightlance, Spirit Stones
    Total: 297 points

3 Guardian Jetbikes
    - Shuriken Cannon
    Total: 76 points

3 Guardian Jetbikes
    - Shuriken Cannon
    Total: 76 points

Fast Attack
    ========
    6 Swooping Hawks
    - Exarch w/Sunrifle, Skyleap, Intercept
    Total: 173 points

Vyper
    - Starcannon
    Total: 70 points

Vyper
    - Starcannon
    Total: 70 points

Heavy Support
    ===========
    Wraithlord
    - Brightlance
    Total: 130 points

Overall: 992 points

Admittedly, it's a bit min/maxy but this is a tournament, after all.:shifty:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

Then I dont see why you are scared of Harlies. You have enough speed and firepower to ignore them or get up close enough to bypass the veil and shoot them up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast