Shining spear death! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shining spear death!

I have been playing my friend who uses the shining spears (know that they are so good) with a autarch leading it his hole army is super mobile with 2 falcons eldrad the autarch on jetbike with a full squad of shinig spears one 10 strong unit of warp spiders and regular jetbikes to fill the troop choices. I have a destroyer heavy necron army and a godzilla tyranid army but his list is seemingly unbeatable. He is like a 15 year vetran and knows what he is doing. So any help would be greatly apreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Find other opponents? Beef up your tactical library? Find luckier dice? My only suggestion would be to swarm out your nid army. Spears are good at killing MEQs, but agaisnt swamrs you can swamp his whole army
    Space Marines are the gateway drug

If everyone makes fun of West Virginia, who does West Virginia make fun of?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

His army is well suited to beat yours. He can out manuever most of your elements and get into winning battles with his spears. Though I'm a bit confused about Eldrad. I don't think he can have a jetbike, but maybe you mean a regular seer.

Anyway your best bet is to add mobile cc units to your forces. The key to spears is that they are Awsome on the charge but complete crap otherwise. Therefore the key is to hit them with shooting or actually charge them. With your existing lists I would try and keep shooty units near CC units that can support him.

You'll also want something that can get to rear armor. In your necron force a lord with shroud and a maxed sized warrior unit or immortals should do wonders. Biovores may work well in the nid list but flying leaping units and the like may do better. Even hormagaunts will beat his models if the hormies charge.

Finally it looks like he didn't bring anything to deal with a monolith.

(Edited for spelling, sorry anybody who read that.)
    Last edited by sunnyside; November 20th, 2006 at 14:39.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

Nightbringer and as mentioned above....monolith. It's very difficult to out monuver a fast army but if you suit yours to be just as agile or provide barrage attacks (So no need of LoS) you shouldn't have much of a problem. Oh yeh....he lacks anti-armour as mentioned above also.

So...shining spears only good on the charge, gargoyles, lictors, ravenor and winged tyrants are a good counter measure...maybe two winged tyrants if he's really getting to you and thinks he's good enough tactical wise. As for necrons have you tried using wraiths in good numbers...the invulnurable saves will help a lot, also don't for get the scarabs. In my experice as an Eldar player against necrons these are the most annoying buggers to get rid of and it's not like they don't pack a punch in good numbers. C'tan is just plain hard as everyone can see and the monolith gives to a good measure to his infantry. Also....consider the necron lord leading a squad of warriors with that teleport and instant deep strike wargear, i don't know what it's called but its been used on me plenty but thats another way to out monuver him (Depending on rules you may even get off a second lord with the same gear....lots of shooting involved)

ANyways those are just ideas form the top of my head....hope it helps and opens up more ideas for you
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

With a godzilla list - no hope, with necrons - you will struggle, wraiths are probably the way to go to tie up some of his units, or destroyers, use a monolith to teleport warriors out of trouble, but you are gonna strugle cos he got the edge on you, you need a diferent army to deal with this
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a Saim Hann player using mobile forces to deal quick powerful blows where I choose i would say the thing I dislike the most is swarms. Take ripper swarms and 3-4 broods of hourmagaunts and he´ll have problems. If you can hold him up with one of these squads, counter-attacking with some raveners or tyranid warriors or something could cause him serious problems.

If he´s any good however he will use the denied flank tactic and then target all your counter-attacking units with his multiple shot S6 weapons, so beware of that.

Same applies to necrons basically, take big squads of resilient and cheapish units to tie something down, then counterattack with pariahs or flayed ones or something.

Or you could just win by focusing on the missoin objectives rather than killing him.
    Currently painting The Pink Slaughter (Slaanesh CSM), Waaaaagh Bigtoof (Orks) for 40k/OnePage40k and UCM Ferrum 2nd for Dropzone Commander.
    Gallery:http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/us...tiebestie.html

Pwned by Phobos. LictorInTheGrass's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -27 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Captain Stern View Post
    I have been playing my friend who uses the shining spears (know that they are so good) with a autarch leading it his hole army is super mobile with 2 falcons eldrad the autarch on jetbike with a full squad of shinig spears one 10 strong unit of warp spiders and regular jetbikes to fill the troop choices. I have a destroyer heavy necron army and a godzilla tyranid army but his list is seemingly unbeatable. He is like a 15 year vetran and knows what he is doing. So any help would be greatly apreciated.
    To sum up what everyone else is basically saying, your army is too slow/shooty. A highly mobile army can really hurt you, both your armies. I'd suggest getting more units, or study his stratergy. Is he a rusher? Hold back units. Is he a wait-er, making you move first? Use deepstrike Ravagers second turn (have Lictors, good harassment against bikes and spiders, maybe even the back of falcons *maybe*). As for addition units, what everyone else have suggested are good. Using Monoliths and the Nightbringer against a speedy CC army would work.

+ Reply to Thread