Eldrad Ulthran...way underpriced - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eldrad Ulthran...way underpriced

I've been looking at Eldrad Ulthran's profile quite a few times, and it seems that he's way underpriced. Think about it, a normal Farseer with all possible upgrades that Eldrad has would already cost 215 points. Top that off, Eldrad has T4, a 3+Inv save, his 3-powers-a-turn, his staff, and divination, which has to be one of the best abilities in the whole Eldar codex! At the very least, I'll estimate that he SHOULD be at 300 points.

But ___ points?! I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a lot of Eldar armies from now on. In fact I'm thinking about taking him in my Biel-Tan.( with a different name)

Is he just like one of the best steals in the whole 40k universe, or is it just me?

Don't post the points cost of models/wargear/upgrades, please. - Firedrake28

Last edited by Katie Drake; November 21st, 2006 at 19:32.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they had to make him that way he was soo crappy in his preivious form that no one took him now people at least consider him

as to whether he is broken i don't beleive so for a few reasons the first is look at the precident every codex thus far has been given uber sp characters for waay under what they're worth so why not eldar

and 2 (this is the most important) HE GORRAM DESERVES TO BE !!! i'm sorry it had to be said he is the most powerful psyker in existence period it's about time his rules reflected this and by the by he is still alot of points and why he may be good he's not always practical
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

If you think Eldrad is underpriced, check out Yriel, bear in mind the effects of singing spears/witchblades and power weapons, plus that eye and that stat line, he is a stone killer
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

At ___ points you get an all around fighting machine.

But that's not what Eldar are, he is unfocused, kind of a 'take all' sort of unit, but he is innefficient becaus there is probably something in the army that can do things better than him for less points. - Don't post the points cost for models/wargear/upgrades, please. - Firedrake28
    Last edited by Katie Drake; November 21st, 2006 at 19:34.
    Gareth is the person I try to impress when I convert and paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

Actually, Eldrad is almost the cheapest way to use three psychic powers each turn. Without his staff, you'd need two Farseers.

Farseer 1:
    Spirit Stone
    Eldritch Storm
    Guide
    =115

Farseer 2:
    Fortune
    =75pts

So it costs, bare minimum, 190 points to put three psychic powers in the table. If you add in Runes of Witnessing at 10 points each (making them more comparable to Eldrad in psychic power) you're now looking at an even match.

Eldrad is hardly bloated if you're looking to drop a lot of psychic power on the table.
    You play your game, I'll play mine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Okay, point well taken.

I guess my adversion to him is my adversion to ALL special characters. They have fluff already, so why should I include them in mine? I actually have the Eldrad model, and I use him to represent a Farseer...

Okay, so beyond fielding crazy good amounts of Psychic power, what else can he do?

(Is using 3 powers a turn worth ___ points?) - Don't post points costs of models/wargear/upgrades, please - Firedrake28
    Last edited by Katie Drake; November 21st, 2006 at 19:35.
    Gareth is the person I try to impress when I convert and paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

I have exactly the same first instinct when it comes to special characters.

Has anyone used him in a couple of fights? While it looks powerfull its also ___ points down the drain if he is easily countered or goes belly up.

Can any Ulthwe players let us know if 3 powers is worth the ___ points a turn? - Don't post the points cost of models/wargear/upgrades, please. - Firedrake28
    Last edited by Katie Drake; November 21st, 2006 at 19:36.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Astantia View Post
    Okay, point well taken.

I guess my adversion to him is my adversion to ALL special characters. They have fluff already, so why should I include them in mine? I actually have the Eldrad model, and I use him to represent a Farseer...

Okay, so beyond fielding crazy good amounts of Psychic power, what else can he do?

(Is using 3 powers a turn worth ___ points?)
    I've used him and I love him. He can run along and protect two units of harlequins and still yet have a left over use of doom for the target of the dire avengers. IMO, if you have a significant foot slogging portion of your army and you want to take advantage of far-seer protection, he's worth it.

However, that's not to say he's all powerful. He lacks mobility so a fully mechanized army will have trouble using him to his fullest extent so still expect to see jetbike mounted far seers and relatively cheap doom seers for lower points games, but over all, for something say 1500+ if I don't feel the need to field 2 jetbike far seers I'll probably be fielding him.

As to fluff, personally I'm in the camp of use his rules and change his name.
    Last edited by Katie Drake; November 21st, 2006 at 19:37.
    Everything I have told you, even this, is a lie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Astantia View Post
    Two things. First, he has a weapon that wounds on a 2+ and ignores armour saves. There is only one other model that can claim that, and he's also a Special Character. Now, I do realize that his paltry two attacks a round somewhat limits his killing power, but he's still a reasonable force to reckon with in CC.

Second is Divination. This alone almost makes him worth the extra points over a regular farseer. Having a counter to those pesky Infiltrating units that mount Heavy Weapons is a gods-send. Ever lost first turn and had a transport or two destroyed? Yeah, Eldrad helps fix that.

My only real issue with him is that he's forced to Foot Slog, which limits his use in mechanized forces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Caluin View Post
    ... Now, I do realize that his paltry two attacks a round somewhat limits his killing power...
    I thought the 2+ wound Power weapon was his staff, (ie 2-handed) in which case he would only get 1 attack per turn wouldn't he? If he wanted to get 2 attacks wouldn't he have to use his witchblade and shuri-pistol?
    Quote Originally Posted by rat of vengence
    Just how dark are these angles?
    "It was a magnificent display of trained and disciplined valour, and its assault failed of success because dead men can advance no further"
    -refering to the Royal Newfoundland Regiment at Beaumont-Hamel after they took 90% casualties in the assault

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast