Tourney Help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tourney Help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tourney Help

I am very excited and am going to play in my first tournament in 2 weeks! It will be 4 games, 2 of which will be CoD the other 2 will be random. Any way, I do not want to look like a noob when I show up. What should I expect? I do not mean armies, but how should I prepare? Should I have more than 1 army list and decide what to use when I get there? Can I change lists after games? Do my opponent and myself share lists? I am planning on having 1 winged tyrant, broodlord, few sqauds of stealers, shooting warriors, lictor,s ravenors, 3 fex's, and a few zontrhopes. I just want to get a 'sense' of what the atmosphere might be like, any advice would be great! Thanks!
    PS I am going to be playing against COMPLETELY new people!! I just joined this gaming league and have never met a single person before lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well put it this way, you organise a list with the army you're gonna take, when you first get there the organiser will probably ask for lists.

You cannot change the list between games, so write something up for all comers.

Yes it is 'polite' to show your list to your opponent, some tournaments even inforce it.

Other than that just go along, have fun, make sure you know at least abit about any army you feel you may face that will give you trouble.

Just enjoy yourself mate.

SON'S OF TERRA......... Your defeat, its the emperor's will

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofTerror View Post
    I am planning on having 1 winged tyrant, broodlord, few sqauds of stealers, shooting warriors, lictor,s ravenors, 3 fex's, and a few zontrhopes.
    I stand corrected on not being able to take more then 3 fex's (Just started playing again and I'm still trying to get 4th edition rules down, Sorry)

Other then that the advice above is good also post your full army list in the tryanid army list section for more advice on army compostition (might I suggest guants in addition to the stealers if you have them as a lot of turny's award composition points and all stealers in the troop selection might give you a bad score.)

Also let us Know how you do I would be intreasted in hereing how you place.
    Last edited by Kaluha; December 1st, 2006 at 22:15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaluha View Post
    Not to spoil the mood but if you take three fex's then you can't take any zoanthropes as there are only 3 Heavy support choices and ech fex takes up one of those.
    Not entirely true. You can take elite fex's instead of heavy support ones as long as they are 114 points or less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by macewind View Post
    Not entirely true. You can take elite fex's instead of heavy support ones as long as they are 114 points or less.
    That does depend on the points-value of the tournament, however since most seem to range between 1500-1750, that shouldn't be a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

Several things to consider:

Are all you models WYSIWYG?

Painted 3 different colors with no primer exposed?

Based?

Started/modeled from citadel/GW models or comprised of 50%+ of citadel models?

Are you over any points? (1501 is illegal in a 1500 pt tourney, a fact some people think is ok)

Do you have a single list that you want to play? (you can't change it after you turn it in)

Are your models all recognizable for what they are? (talk to the organizers about any forseeable problems-ie running skinks as orcs, even though all weapons are converted to 40k)

Are you familiar with the rules of your army?

Are you familiar with the BGB's rules?

Do they have the tourney rules posted?

Have the organizers posted or told you what rules will be modified or played different from standard BGB? (how do psychic powers work, what's their stance on shooting once within 12" with rapid fire guns....yadda yadda)

Is this the setting that you want to play in? (tourney players can be too serious to actually have fun playing. On the flip side, some are simply a hoot, but seem more rare)

OK, now that we've got you all riled up, time to have fun...

What's the point max? Missions? general make up of the gamers at the store/tourney location?

As far as exchanging lists, this is usually not a tourney approved thing, but hey, when in rome. Me, I'd hesitate to show my list. Just like I'd hesitate to tell them that I'm trying to push up the left flank with my gaunts to draw attention from my zos in the middle. But different stroke for different folks.

Make sure your list is legal.

If you have any questions about what someone is doing with their army-rules wise- that you aren't familiar with, PLEASE ask them kindly to show you said rule that allows them to do that. THIS IS YOUR RIGHT. IF THEY CAN"T SHOW YOU, THEY CANT DO IT.

Feel free to ask a judge over to help clarify any rules or disputes, that's why they are there.

Sadly, be prepared to lose the tourney even if you won all missions, had the best army, and were a gentleman to everyone- Most tournies following GW rules are skewed by army comp, painting, sportsmanship, general ship, and general disposition of the people you play. Last tourney I played, I was given a 1 in army comp because I had second edition warriors for my nid army. He also scored me a 2 in sportsmanship because his list was designed to marines, and was crushed by me by turn 3. I was nice and cordial, allowing him to break several rules, even when he held me to imaginary ones (I didn't want to argue as I knew I had it in the bag).

Have Fun!!!!!

More answers if you have more questions.
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

+ Reply to Thread