Star engine move = fast skimmer? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Star engine move = fast skimmer?

Hi,

just wondering if a Wave serpent, Falcon or prism which uses the Star engine boost gains the rules for fast skimmers? since it went over 12"
    Would they gain the 6+ to hit rule?

Thanks

Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Manu_Forti View Post
    Hi,

just wondering if a Wave serpent, Falcon or prism which uses the Star engine boost gains the rules for fast skimmers? since it went over 12"
    Would they gain the 6+ to hit rule?

Thanks
    Skimmers Moving Fast states that penetrating hits count as glancing.. meaning, if you move over 6", then yes, the Skimmers if Moving Fast.

As for the 6+ to hit rule, I'm assuming you're talking about CC, which I believe all Skimmers (minus the Monolith) are hit on 6's anyways.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

Right the 6's to hit applies to close combat only and applies all the time. Even if the skimmer is stunned (though not if it crashes).

Note that just because you have star engines doesn't automatically mean you have the skimmers moving fast rule working for you. You actually have to end up over 6" from where you started. But as long as you do that all hits count as glancing, regardless of other rules saying they penetrate or something like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

With the exception of AP1 weapons which, because of a wierd glitch in the wording, still penetrate if they roll exactly the AV of the vehicle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis View Post
    With the exception of AP1 weapons which, because of a wierd glitch in the wording, still penetrate if they roll exactly the AV of the vehicle.
    That really depends upon your definition of the word "beat."

They way I see it, since ties go to the shooter (resulting in a glancing hit) then they "beat" the Armour Value, meaning that the shot is still fair game for the SMF rule.

Besides - that isn't something you'd ever want to press upon your opponent. Telling them that they can't claim SMF just because you managed to roll the lowest possible result tol do damage seems a bit under handed to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

I still don't think this is right. Skimmers Moving Fast happens after everything relating to penetrating a vehicle - so, for example, it would go: roll for AV, tie it, AP1 turns it into a penetrating, SMF turns it into a glancing. That's how I see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post
    I still don't think this is right. Skimmers Moving Fast happens after everything relating to penetrating a vehicle - so, for example, it would go: roll for AV, tie it, AP1 turns it into a penetrating, SMF turns it into a glancing. That's how I see it.
    It's nothing to do with the order.. it's the way it's phrased.

I don't have my rulebook here so I can't quote exactly, but under the fast skimmer rules it says something to the tune of 'any hit which exceeds the AV of the vehicle is downgraded to a glancing.' You can see why they'd say that because normally only hits which exceed the AV can penetrate anyway..

But with AP1 weapons a hit which exactly equals the AV of the vehicle is upgraded to penetrating.. Since it doesn't exceed the AV, it's not downgraded. Result.. penetrating hit.

It's wierd.. but it kind of makes sense in a way. It means AP1 weaponry still has an effect while keeping the chances suitably tiny.

Note that I'm remembering this from a previous argument.. so I don't think I'm just guessing without the books. If however the wording is more ambiguous than I've implied, I apologise and retract my statement.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; November 23rd, 2006 at 05:06.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Eh.. doesn't make any sense, but if people were to be rules lawyers about it, and read it exactly as it's stated, you'd be right. I think it's just (yet another case of) bad wording and little forethought on GW's part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

I don't have my rulebook here so I can't quote exactly, but under the fast skimmer rules it says something to the tune of 'any hit which exceeds the AV of the vehicle is downgraded to a glancing.' You can see why they'd say that because normally only hits which exceed the AV can penetrate anyway..
    Very close to exact wording, for not having the rule book. Except you have one word wrong - "Exceed" should be "Beat" instead.

Hence, why I posted what I did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Wow this got a lot more complicated that I had hoped :lol:

So basically, you dont even need the star engines to get the 'glancing only' bonus, since the skimmers can already move 12" anyway.
    My bad about 6's to hit. I'd played that rule as for shooting too, with my SM landspeeders a few times..oops. (mind you, with my luck they still went down anyway :rolleyes: )

So do Eldar skimmers work the same way as other vehicles, in the sence that if they DO go over 6", they cant fire? If so then you might aswell use the star engines to get yourself a nice 24" move, since you cant shoot anyway.

Thanks
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast