Swooping Hawks and Skyleap - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 86
  1. #1
    Member Inquisitor Rosario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    28
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    4 (x1)

    Swooping Hawks and Skyleap

    With the skyleap special rule, can hawks deepstrike, and then skyleap again in the same movement phase, or do they have to wait a turn? Thanks

    Space Marines are the gateway drug

    If everyone makes fun of West Virginia, who does West Virginia make fun of?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    The Pointy Eared elfwarden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the Netherlands, Apeldoorn
    Age
    27
    Posts
    999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    22 (x2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Rosario View Post
    With the skyleap special rule, can hawks deepstrike, and then skyleap again in the same movement phase, or do they have to wait a turn? Thanks
    Thsi has been asked before i belive, but what the hack.

    Hawks CANNOT go up in the same fase as they arrived, this would make them invuerable and so called "cheesy".

    If they drop on the table they go up in the next eldar movement phase.
    this means that they are at least one enemy phase on the table to be shot to ribbons.

    Hope it helps
    "Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and terrifying to know"

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    In teh webwayz
    Age
    24
    Posts
    954
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Rosario View Post
    With the skyleap special rule, can hawks deepstrike, and then skyleap again in the same movement phase, or do they have to wait a turn? Thanks
    I say no, because it says that Skyleap uses the Deep Strike rules, and the Deep Strikes rules use the Reserve rules, and they say the unit cannot move or assault (but can shoot). And because Skyleap is the the movement phase (ie instead of moving), then it's not possible.

    But if you think about it, if they did allow that it would be VERY hard to kill them as they would never be on the table.

    Hope that helps.

    Edit: Damn, beat to it!
    AGLOCO - Earn money by browsing the internet!


    Quote Originally Posted by Krevzi and Me
    Warhammer is like crack. But more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Learn parasite, that us Chaos players like to have our cake and eat it. In fact, we particularly like stealing the poor necrons' cake and eating that too, because they're too slow.

  5. #4
    Member Kheldar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    ITALY
    Age
    35
    Posts
    378
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

    I just went to check out the rulse...

    - Deep Strike is resolved before the movement phase, so first you DS troops, then you start moving stuff aorund.

    - Skyleap is activated during the Hawks movement phase.

    - DS units cannot move or assault during their arriving turn, but it doesn't mean that they lose their movement phase: simply they (normally) won't be able to do anything in it!

    Thus, ruleswise, you can DS the Hawks, have them drop the pie on the table and have them fly off in the same turn, actually giving your opponent ZERO possibility of shooting at them.

    Legal, though cheesy in my opinion.
    - Just love that maki! -

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    In teh webwayz
    Age
    24
    Posts
    954
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kheldar View Post
    I just went to check out the rulse...

    - Deep Strike is resolved before the movement phase, so first you DS troops, then you start moving stuff aorund.

    - Skyleap is activated during the Hawks movement phase.

    - DS units cannot move or assault during their arriving turn, but it doesn't mean that they lose their movement phase: simply they (normally) won't be able to do anything in it!

    Thus, ruleswise, you can DS the Hawks, have them drop the pie on the table and have them fly off in the same turn, actually giving your opponent ZERO possibility of shooting at them.

    Legal, though cheesy in my opinion.
    That's true, although I think you'd get a lot of angry players and calling you a cheap cheat and a rules lawyer.
    AGLOCO - Earn money by browsing the internet!


    Quote Originally Posted by Krevzi and Me
    Warhammer is like crack. But more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Learn parasite, that us Chaos players like to have our cake and eat it. In fact, we particularly like stealing the poor necrons' cake and eating that too, because they're too slow.

  7. #6
    Member Illyrien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kingdom of Denmark
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    15 (x1)

    Has anybody asked GW about this odd phenomenon (the non-appearing swooping hawks)?
    When I was your age Pluto was a planet and Wraithlords had D-cannons! Ah, the good old days!

  8. #7
    Member Kheldar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    ITALY
    Age
    35
    Posts
    378
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

    Just talked about it with my local GW-shop manager and he said that it is actually correct, though terribly cheesy as if you field 3 minimum squads for roughly 350 points you get 3 big pies each turn that should do at least 150 points each game and which cannot be shot at by the enemy, gaining you the net of 450+ points advantage each game.

    Plus if perchance you play it against 'nids, dark eldar, guardian heavy eldar, orks or imperials you will definitively get more than 100points of units destroyed by the pies!
    - Just love that maki! -

  9. #8
    Now with STFU flames! Caluin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    36
    Posts
    5,917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kheldar View Post
    Just talked about it with my local GW-shop manager and he said that it is actually correct, though terribly cheesy as if you field 3 minimum squads for roughly 350 points you get 3 big pies each turn that should do at least 150 points each game and which cannot be shot at by the enemy, gaining you the net of 450+ points advantage each game.
    Throw in Baharroth for a fourth Pie Plate each turn.

    Then an Autarch so that they can start dive bombing even earlier.

    Flesh out the army with two minimum sized Dire Avenger squads, and then three nigh-unkillable Fire Prisms for anti-tank and even more pie plate action.

    That, my friends, is the new definition of cheese.


  10. #9
    Member Inquisitor Rosario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    28
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    4 (x1)

    Good Heavens, that is a truly scary thought. The pie plates are nice, but hawks are also good a shooting. My squad of 6 w/ and exarch w/ a sunrifle wiped out a space marine bike squad in a single shot. It's also deadly against guardsmen. So it seems you could use hawks effectively without being terribly cheesy, only using skyleap if no targets were in range, or if you were in imminent assault danger, as hawks are pants in assault.
    Space Marines are the gateway drug

    If everyone makes fun of West Virginia, who does West Virginia make fun of?

  11. #10
    Member craftman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    227
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    17 (x1)

    I think that the skyleap/grenade pack option is tempting, but against soft targets a decent-sized unit of Swooping Hawks could do just as much damage with their lasblasters/sunrifle.

    If your opponent has a small army or spreads his models out (doubtless he/she would in anticipation of this cheesy tactic), then the pie plates aren't necessarily going to do a lot of damage. I think a more effective and reliable tactic would be to deep strike the Hawks and use them to harass the enemy. If they decide to commit to taking the Hawks out, skyleap out of the way and drop another pie plate on them for good measure!

    So basically, drop the grenade packs, shoot the enemy, then skyleap out of harm's way (and don't forget to give 'em another large blast when you do!).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts