Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I've been thinking about this for a while now and it seems i have come to a dead end....
Right i used to collect 'nids and upgraded to eldar which is nice because:
- I get armour saves
- I get vehicles
- I get decent long range weaponry.
However it sucks because:
- I get hardly any models
- I miss mass rending
- The models are metal and really heavy.
So far i've played a few games and ive been happy with the results, however i have a game lined up this friday and im facing a long standing rival and hes playing DE, so i started wondering how to end dark eldar in general and so far i have come up with these units:
- Avatar, just plain 'ard.
- Dire Avengers, bladestorm, yum yum.
- Fire dragons, burn those groteques.
But thats all ican think of...Has anyone else played DE and found any specific units to be effective, cos im stumped, cos that paltry list is all i can come up with...
I really can't think of anything witty to say.
* Flamers are DEATH against Dark Eldar (short of Incubi) if you can ger close enough to use them. Remember the option to take them on the Wraithlord. On the flip side, power weapons are less interesting, except for killing the Incubi retinue, so banshees lose out some.
* Raiders are key to Dark Eldar mobility and fortunately really easy targets. All of the cheap meduim-strength weapons that the eldar have are well up to the task of bringing them down. Don't bother with brightlances; scatterlasers are perfect. Hell, warp spinners will do the job.
* A lot of DE armies really load up on anti-marine weapons, so the tougher eldar units (scorpions, wraithguard) may be less of a good thing than they normally are. The popular Agonizer will wound wraithguard (or the wraithlord!) on a 4+ and deny armor saves. Ouch.
* Hawks and avengers like the easy targets with weak armor.
* Pay close attention to how fast the DE can close to close combat. Warp Beasts can engage units from 19-24" away (6" + FoF + 12" charge) as can Wyches who rolled the right drug result or characters dosing themselves with combat drugs.
I normally play a Wych cult, so I have little experience with the DE 'heavy stuff', but it overall looks like you should be able to outshoot your opponent easily. Watch out for the lightning assaults, though...Raiders are open-topped, so they can charge the turn they disembark!
Shimmershields for DE exarchs might be a nice idea to slow down the inevitable CC, too...
Your going to want cheap flamers. And the best way to get those are to use warlocks w/ destructor.
I would throw a few guardian squads in (cheap catapults are nice) with Warlocks.
Give them scatter lasers, mass fire, and as said above, can take down Raiders.
Use warp spiders or swooping hawks over Banshees or Scorpions. Jetbikes are good, as long as you keep them moving.
I used an 8 man Ranger team to kill 5 wyches, followed up by Jetbike shots to finish the squad. (That was really nice, they never even saw combat) :yes:
My list would be something along the lines of:
-Mind War (for the Archon w/ the 2+ Invulnerable save, for XX points you get a weapon that could potentially deal 6 wounds to her.)
-Fortune or Doom (whichever is more your style. You should be leaving the scorpions at home, but Jetbikes can still utilise fortune well, as can any seers or warlocks you have)
Warlocks w/ Destructor (Maybe 1 with Enhance, your Seers will get in combat, Unless they aren't playing, or you get really lucky)
Guardians (2 of these squads)
Warlock w/ Destructor
no shurikannons (catapults do the same thing, and are twin-linked)
Use to hit the raider / heavy weapon squads
Season to taste.
That's what I would run, minus the Prisms in lower cost games. (For some interesting results, use Storm Guardians, a warlock with Enhance, and take the the fight to them!!!):yes:
Gareth is the person I try to impress when I convert and paint.
My list so far consists of roughly:
10 Dire avengers
I plan to use the fp as bait and out-manouvre with the hawks.
Hmm out-manouvering the most manouverable army in 40k, could be fun...
I know that his list consists roughly of thus:
2 raider squads
and thats it...quite small huh
I really can't think of anything witty to say.
You mean 10 warriors right (I think raiders always have a, well, raider).
I haven't played against a lot of DE. Mostly wych cult. What I found was that wych cult often brings way to little anti-vehicle to the table. Or maybe they think those dark lances on the raiders count, I'm not sure. Either way in my games I was able to knock out their AV early and just stomp on them with my falcon and waveserpent, while fireing away with my long range starcannons.
Looks like you're playing a 750 list. I think you might do well with a pair of holo/stone maybe vectored fire prisms (not neccesarily to do the double shot thing just to hurl a lot of firepower down field. In addition to being hard to take down you can out range their dark lances and at 750 they have a lot of room to run.
Then add a big unit of DA for footsloggers and some pathfinders for the talos or just some more DA's. I don't know so much about the exarcs though. There is something to be said for getting more squads with his points and splitting them up so they can't all get caught in melee.