Welcome to Librarium Online!
I played Nids in 3rd edition and sold them. I played my first game with my new Nids in 4th edition today... And I was very pleased! I learned a couple things today.
1) Carnifex's ROCK! I used these guys in 3rd edition, but never did to much for me. I used one in two games today, and he was my savior. A sniperfex killed 8 Necron Warriors in shooting and 4 in CC. He got me to within 3 kills of phasing out Necrons.
2) Lictors are very good, but SOOO fragile. I deployed in cover and charged Immortals. I killed 4 (3 rends), and took no wounds. Great right? The Necron Lord sucked the immortals out of combat leaving my Lictors wide open to 5 Destroyers If these guys can stay in combat they work great! In my second game they were able to stay in combat and killed a Dread, an Inquisiter, 2 Termies, and 4 Grey knights. Scary. I do like the 3rd edition deployment rules for them better though.
3) Genestealers.... what more can I say? Killed a dread and 5 grey knights in 3 rounds of combat.
4) Broodlord, I was a little dissapointed. I infiltrated and the Necrons simply moved away from him. He is TOOOO slow! I did notice two advantages of him though. First, he can be used to 'bait' an opponent into a pincer movement. If I would have had a Winged Tyrant on the opposite flank, the enemy would have been in trouble. Second, psychology! The opponent is scared crapless of him,l giving you several more options.
5) Zoanthropes. These guys did much better than I thought. The opponent practically ignored the two I had. Opting to shoot for 'scarier' targets. However, with a warpblast they are able to deal LOTS of damage before being 'bothered'.
6) Finally... LIVING AMMUNITION! This really is great. Fleshgaunts are great and cheap, they killed me a termie! But, Devourer got an absolutely incredible upgrade. my unit of three warriors armed with devourers dished out 12 st4 re-roll to wound shots. Think about what devourer armed tyrants and fex's can do!
Any way, the new Nid codex (old for some of you), is absolutely incredible in my opinion and I'm very glad that I got back into them!!!!
Glad to see that the nids worked out for you. I have to agree with you on almost every point, the one being that I like spine gaunts more:shifty:
One thing. It sounds like you may have gotten very lucky with the lictor, I mean 3 rends in one combat! Remember that against mass MEQs, it is going to die and may prove more fragile than you think. Still, its a great unit and in my opinion the new deployment rules are much more tacticlly sound as you have more choice what you want it to attack.
Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
Hehe I may have gotten lucky with my 2 Lictors, just as the Demonhunter Dread got lucky and rolled 3 rends on my Carni in the first round of shooting I have to agree with you though, against the Immortals they did very well, but only because no Immortals were able to strike back. Against the Demonhunters they also did very well because they only had a few hits back at them. They are a strong and powerful unit, I think they are best used with a combined assault such as a winged tyrant or a broodlord.
Latest Battle: Tau win against DA!