New Eldar player seeks help with army idea. Help me Exarchs! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Member OSUMacbeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    34
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    4 (x1)

    New Eldar player seeks help with army idea. Help me Exarchs!

    Hello all,

    To begin, I'd post this in the army forum, but it's not really an army list.

    I've been playing WH40k for a few months now. Mostly it's been a friend and I proxying various armies in an effort to find what we like and what we find effective. Well, with the release of the new Eldar codex (which I love, except for the starcannon change and brightlance cost on WaveSerpents) I've decided it may finally be time for me to start buying models. I've tried many different forms of Eldar army (Saim-Hann, Inyaden, Altaioc, and general armies) and I may have finally hit upon an idea I'm really fond of. I call it "My army looks cooler than yours, and is still fairly effective."

    It's based on the idea of having amazingly cool looking models on the table, while trying not to sacrifice ability to win. I'm very competitive, so if this isn't viable I'll let it go, but if it could work, I'd really like to try it. I have three five models in my army thus far (filling out my HS options) and I'd like suggestions for what might compliment them. My current roster includes:

    Wraithlord (The new models are fantastic. Possibly the coolest model in the game.)
    3x WarWalkers (I've wanted these to be viable since I picked up the old codex, and now they're viable and amazingly cool looking. I hated the old models.)
    1x Falcon Grav Tank (My old candidate for coolest looking thing in the game - honorable mention to the Vyper. Could sub WaveSerpent for it if necessary, but I'd rather not.)

    So, taking the above into account, and knowing that together they cost ~545 points, what can I add to it to make an incredibly cool-looking, yet effective force? I generally play 1500 point games, though 2000 point ideas are still welcome. So, here's hoping. Can this idea work?

    Thanks in advance,
    OSUMacbeth


  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Member shadygodofdeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    look behind you...
    Age
    28
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    -3 (x0)

    Quote Originally Posted by OSUMacbeth View Post
    Wraithlord (The new models are fantastic. Possibly the coolest model in the game.)
    3x WarWalkers (I've wanted these to be viable since I picked up the old codex, and now they're viable and amazingly cool looking. I hated the old models.)
    1x Falcon Grav Tank (My old candidate for coolest looking thing in the game - honorable mention to the Vyper. Could sub WaveSerpent for it if necessary, but I'd rather not.)
    k the models you have there are shooty, but you could still go for an mix or even cc army if picked out carefully. So before we start helpin with lists and such perhaps you can describe your playing style (wait and shoot then counterattack, charge and mutilate, confuse and cooparate, mix).
    Wether or not the mdoel's are viable: yes. Falcon and wraithlord are mighty cool and nasty gamewise, and those ww can lay down a hail of fire everybody must swallow and blink. Basicly you'd have a HS heavy army at 1500 points which is ok and around normal at 2000 where most players have maxed out their HS.
    The Morbidos Fleet will reclaim the Eldar empire. This time there shall be no mercy. Let them choke in their own blood!


  4. #3
    Member OSUMacbeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    34
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    4 (x1)

    In my games as both Space Marines and Eldar, I've always perferred an army which doesn't rely on a single gimmick to win. It's been my experience that with a well-balanced list and a little ingenuity, you can take on a variety of threats and still be effective. So I suppose a mixed list is most in keeping with my perferred style. If this army is already too top-heavy to pull off a mixed list, I'd gravitate towards shooty, simply because I have the fear that Banshees are too fragile and I've never been too partial to scorpions. Harlequins are great, but I don't really think they mesh well with the eldar in general (fluff wise, too human-ish). So, with that in mind, are there additions that can turn these five models into a balanced list, or must I forsake one of my beloved HS models? I admit I've only played maybe 15 games as Eldar, but I've usually taken 3 heavy support options in the past (usually two wraiths and a falcon) and I've yet to regret it. However, I'm willing to give a less top-heavy army a try if it will make me more effective.

    I started this list with the thought "Which three eldar units are my absolute favorites?", but I'm still in the proxying stage at the moment, so any thoughts are welcome.

    OSUMacbeth

  5. #4
    Senior Member Scorpion_062's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Washington, United States
    Posts
    340
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    12 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by OSUMacbeth View Post
    In my games as both Space Marines and Eldar, I've always perferred an army which doesn't rely on a single gimmick to win. It's been my experience that with a well-balanced list and a little ingenuity, you can take on a variety of threats and still be effective. So I suppose a mixed list is most in keeping with my perferred style. If this army is already too top-heavy to pull off a mixed list, I'd gravitate towards shooty, simply because I have the fear that Banshees are too fragile and I've never been too partial to scorpions. Harlequins are great, but I don't really think they mesh well with the eldar in general (fluff wise, too human-ish). So, with that in mind, are there additions that can turn these five models into a balanced list, or must I forsake one of my beloved HS models? I admit I've only played maybe 15 games as Eldar, but I've usually taken 3 heavy support options in the past (usually two wraiths and a falcon) and I've yet to regret it. However, I'm willing to give a less top-heavy army a try if it will make me more effective.

    I started this list with the thought "Which three eldar units are my absolute favorites?", but I'm still in the proxying stage at the moment, so any thoughts are welcome.

    OSUMacbeth
    Banshees can be fragile, but if given transportation, they fare quite well.
    Whats wrong with scorpions? The new models are MUCH cooler than the old ones, are they are great for taking out hoards in CC. They can even hold their own against MEQs.
    Harlequins are too humanish??? Harlequins aren't anywhere close to being human. They are Eldar. They tell the story of the Fall through ritual and dance. Harlequins would actually fit quite nice if they used your Falcon as a transport.
    "What do Humans know of our pain? We have sung songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea."
    - Farseer Eldrad Ulthran of Craftworld Ulthwe

  6. #5
    Senior Member Astantia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    27
    Posts
    792
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

    Most Eldar units ARE fragile. However, this is not an army for people who want amazing survivability (except on tanks, we got ways of never losing a Falcon... :rolleyes: ) Any troops you use will (more than likely) die, until you get used to using them.

    We are the most mobile army in the game (except maybe Dark Eldar, and even then, we are really fast) so use that mobility. War walkers and Wraith Lords don't really have that much speed, but they make up for it in sheer power. Now, if I was building a list around those three models (War walker, Wraith Lord and Falcon) I would use the walkers and Lord with a shooting base to form an 'anvil' and use some fast units (Falcon, Jetbikes, Shining Spears, Warp Spiders) to make a 'hammer.'

    Remember though that EVERY unit in the Eldar army has a particular niche that it is AMAZING in. Using these units for other things will always give you subpar results.
    Gareth is the person I try to impress when I convert and paint.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,271
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

    I'd say you can have quite a viable list from that.

    The falcon and wraithlord are just solid. The warwalkers aren't my cup of tea but they do put a lot of firepower out there and I know other people who like them. Also they've got a lot of flexibility in how they are used from extremly cheap cheap shuri cannoners to standoff missle launchers.

    What other units do you think are cool? I hope you like fire dragons because I think those should go in the falcon (and soup that falcon up!).

    You list could go so many directions I'd say let us know how you feel about the other units and we can propose viable mixes of them.

  8. #7
    Member OSUMacbeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    34
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    4 (x1)

    I heard several people suggest giving banshees transport. So, do you just pop them in a waveserpent, deploy out of fire lanes or in cover, and then foot-slog the rest of the way? It still feels a little dicey. One turn out in the open could be devastating, and if I can't get a clear time to run in, it seems like my banshees would be sitting around waiting for an opportunity that may never come. If some people who've used banshees extensively in the past would like to enlighten me, I would love to hear a bit on how to make these guys (gals)effective. I have to admit that they seem very powerful, especially with the aid of doom, but their 4+ armor save scares me for an expensive melee unit. I started out playing marines, and some habits die hard.

    OSUMacbeth

  9. #8
    Senior Member Scorpion_062's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Washington, United States
    Posts
    340
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    12 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by OSUMacbeth View Post
    I heard several people suggest giving banshees transport. So, do you just pop them in a waveserpent, deploy out of fire lanes or in cover, and then foot-slog the rest of the way? It still feels a little dicey. One turn out in the open could be devastating, and if I can't get a clear time to run in, it seems like my banshees would be sitting around waiting for an opportunity that may never come. If some people who've used banshees extensively in the past would like to enlighten me, I would love to hear a bit on how to make these guys (gals)effective. I have to admit that they seem very powerful, especially with the aid of doom, but their 4+ armor save scares me for an expensive melee unit. I started out playing marines, and some habits die hard.

    OSUMacbeth
    You run in on the first turn and wait until the next turn to disembark. You then Fleet of Foot and charge after you disembark. You should get at least one good combat, and, assuming that the enemy keeps his units grouped, you should be in range to charge another unit on the next turn.

    Including a unit like a Wraithlord for use as a fire magnet can help draw fire from your banshees.
    "What do Humans know of our pain? We have sung songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea."
    - Farseer Eldrad Ulthran of Craftworld Ulthwe

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,271
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

    Two key factors in using eldar well, especially if you use wave serpents, are fire magnets and splitting the enemy.

    Fire magnets are units their either due to their high threat potential or through failed taget priorty checks draw enemy fire from more fragile units. Wraithlords, falcons, and turbo boosted/fortuned shining spears fill this role pretty well.

    Splitting the enemy simply means you try to take on half of their army with all of yours. Or at least locally overload a section of their force.

    Note that vectored engines and spirit stones plus the skimmers moving fast rule means that there is a respectable chance the serpent will survive to deliver it's cargo.

  11. #10
    Member OSUMacbeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    34
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    4 (x1)

    Of *course!* Now why didn't I think things through? For some reason in my head I kept imagining the Banshees being unable to assault due to leaving a transport, but of *course* it would be stationary at the beginning of the turn they got out! Man, do I feel, errr, dumb. Okay, banshees are in, because I've always wanted to try them.

    As to which other units I like, I like pretty much all of them except...well...hrm. You see, there's the problem. Everything in our codex is both cool and good, with few exceptions. Even scorpions are starting to grow on me, since I've been looking at the models and imagining paint schemes without their horrible green. That being said, two questions have come to mind:

    First, once and for all, can somebody convince me that Swooping Hawks are good? I've wanted them to be good since the last codex, and their new options do help...but, come on, *THREE STRENGTH* weapons? My marine army would be pissing themselves they'd be laughing so hard. I admit that the 24" range helps, but if I'm doing my math right, against 8-man squads of MEQs you could fire everything you had, exarch included, and the now weakened marines would *still* kill more of you than you did of him. I know, I know, no units in a vaccum. My dilemma is that I love the way hawks look, so they'd be great for this army, but encountering many MEQ armies is almost a certainty, and if these guys are really so bad at cutting the mustard there, I'm not sure they have a place with me. While I'm on the subject, how is their anti-tank capability (assuming you can get to the tank without being shot to pieces.)

    Second, I've noticed as I play that certain armies seems to have an "average" size for each point level. For example, I've noticed that all of my 1500 point armies (SM and Eldar) routinely come in at about 30-40 models. What would you guys consider a good number of boots to have on the ground?

    OSUMacbeth

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts