What to wear to the battle - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to wear to the battle

So is there any consensus on what the standard kit for a Wraithlord should be? I've hauled the old heavy weapons off my models; I'm re-tooling my heavy weapon placement and I've come to a problem. What do I put on my Wraithlord?

I'm thinking I'm going to go with the 'scatter-star-lord' configuration. This will give him 6 str x shots 2 of which have an excellent ap. He should be able to march forward at the centre of my line and blaze away at medium/heavy infantry and take out light vehicles. Once he gets there he can still hold his own in CC. Any other ideas regarding this.

As an aside here's what I've put on my other things. (It's important to realize here that I intend on destroying most vehicles either with CC or close-in fire from dragons or wraithguard)

Falcon: shuricannon and scatterlaser
    Vypers(2): shuricannon X 2
    guardians squads 1 scatter laser, 1 shuricannon
    Dark Reaper Ex: EML
    War-wanker: 2 x scatter laser
    Waveserpent: brightlance(TL)

I don't have much in my left-overs pile, just a brightlance and a starcannon.

Comments?

Quote Originally Posted by rat of vengence
    Just how dark are these angles?
    "It was a magnificent display of trained and disciplined valour, and its assault failed of success because dead men can advance no further"
    -refering to the Royal Newfoundland Regiment at Beaumont-Hamel after they took 90% casualties in the assault

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Magnets.

LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

As Karmoon said, in fact for the WL you dont even need magnets, simply pinning but not gluing will do, however, for a specific answer:

the question as you rightly point out, must be considered against the whole background of the full army.

Your intent for AT is, IMHO, flawed, it doesnt take much to screen tanks with infantry and stop you getting near enough, or to target the tank hunting units on turn 1.
    Your list needs, again, in my opinion, some options to take out tanks at range. WL are good at this, but by no means the best options, being less effective that war walkers, prisma tanks, falcons or serpents, however, I will put that asside.

For my money, for anti infantry/light armour, you are talking about one of three weapons:

Star cannon - the traditional anti marine/MEQ weapon, the reduction in shots means this is probably going to take down one infantry model per turn, slightly over statistically, but that is about it, it will also probably put a wound on most monsterous creatures but is not likely to damage transports

Shuriken cannon - shortish range compared to other heavy weaponry, but out performs the star cannon in all areas except MEQs where stistically it is a little behind, provided you are not going to sit at the back and shoot at MEQs this probably out performs the star cannon

Scatter laser- no range issues, more shots but lacks the AP of even the shuriken cannon, looking at this may mean the shuriken cannon is more attractive, but bear in mind that AP only makes 1/3rd difference, the extra shot more than makes up for it, also the increase capability against transports means that Scatter laser is preferable to the shuriken cannon.

However, also consider the EML, it is marginally more risky because the roll to hit is boolean (you either hit or you dont wheras the others will usually generate an amout of hits and an amount of misses) but with the right choice of ammo can general perform as well or better than the others except for possibly against monsterous creatures

So:
    For a cheap (points wise) but effective weapon - shuriken cannon
    For a more expensive but more effective weapon - scatter laser
    For a more risky but potentially (very marginally) slightly better performing weapon - EML
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the detailed run-down on the weapons Cheredanine, I should point out that I usually play on a fairly terrain intensive board and there is only one MEQ army in the group. I've found that in games of 1500 pts or less I usually only face one tank so it is not my main goal with the army.

Infantry, on the other hand... oh boy. I play regularly against 2 guard players that think it's funny to design a list that has so much infantry that it literally doesn't fit in the deployment zone.:cry:

I see your point about needing some ranged AT, but that is what the brightlance on the waveserpent is for, plus the pulse laser on the falcon and the EML on the reaper exarch. I don't think I should need much more than that. Then again, I've been wrong before... :yes:
    Quote Originally Posted by rat of vengence
    Just how dark are these angles?
    "It was a magnificent display of trained and disciplined valour, and its assault failed of success because dead men can advance no further"
    -refering to the Royal Newfoundland Regiment at Beaumont-Hamel after they took 90% casualties in the assault

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

it sounds to me like shuriken cannon would be the best bet then, but still think 3 war walkers, 6 shuriken cannon for 120 points, that is 18 shots - one dead guard squad per turn are you sure you want a wraithlord?
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

450 (x8)

I think it depends..

Personally, I'm giving mine an EML and a scatter laser, because it seems like a very flexible combination. He can reap hordes, possibly pinning them in the process, and he has a decent chance of destroying any light vehicles he sets his sights on too..

I'm going to use pins myself though.. I know from starting my last army that people make a lot of mistakes when they've never actually played a few games through with something, so pinning could save you a lot of money if you decide you need a change..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dark Reaper Ex: EML
    War-wanker: 2 x scatter laser
    War wanker??!! lol :lol:

Anway i disgree with you on these points. Dark Reaper exarches IMO arn't worth it. They cost too many points that could be used to have more reapers. Even if you have the points why waste points and a shot on a ML? Just keep the RL or tempest for fun.

War walkers should be give SC. 120 points for 3 war wlakers with 2X Shruikken cannons each. Thats 40 points a model. They soot 18 S6 shots a turn. Thats around ~3 dead MEQ. Combine that with guide and you've got ~4 dead MEQ per turn. Not bad for 120 points.

But against swarms, howver, they will win the game... with guide against genestealers is around 12 dead genestealers a turn. Just one volley could turn the gme around.

Yes, people might say 'its only AV10 so its crap'. Yes it is AV10- lets say the enemy have a lascannon. When it shoots (bs4) it has 0.29 of destroying AV10 so based on 40 points thats 11.6 points per shot.

Compared with firing at lets say a Swooping hawk is .555 chance to kill it which is 12.222 points per shot of a lascannon. So it would be more worthwile to shoot at a SH that on destroying a WW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Eye View Post

Yes, people might say 'its only AV10 so its crap'. Yes it is AV10- lets say the enemy have a lascannon. When it shoots (bs4) it has 0.29 of destroying AV10 so based on 40 points thats 11.6 points per shot.

Compared with firing at lets say a Swooping hawk is .555 chance to kill it which is 12.222 points per shot of a lascannon. So it would be more worthwile to shoot at a SH that on destroying a WW.
    You have a good idea, however, that isn't how the game is played. Smart players don't make decisions based on how many VP they will reap by shooting units, they target the units that are going to hurt them the most, with a few exceptions, and in a horde style army, hawks probably wont be as effective as 3 war walkers, therefore, warwalkers have to go first.
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left" Bertrand Russell

We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a Human can understand.

W/D/L
    Eldar: 3-3-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

Forgive me if this post is actually quite ignorant since i just bought the new eldar 'dex last night.

but how exactly are swooping hawks not as efective against horde? from my count a squad of 10 can get off 24 shots at 24 inches, and then they still have skyleap+grenadepacks to ruin a guard players day.

Again for the most part I am just lurking around the eldar forums till I can get a grasp on what i want in my upcoming eldar army so forgive me if I am wrong.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x1)

wrong horde I guess, against things with 4T (genestealers, orks) the warwalkers would have a much better result than the hawks in my opinion. The low strength of the hawks gun is whats troublesome, sure against a guardsman its 3 v 3 needing 4's to wound, but a shuriken cannon needs 2+ wound which means its 2/3's as likely to wound as a lasblaster.
    Last edited by Amishcellphone; November 29th, 2006 at 22:56.
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left" Bertrand Russell

We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a Human can understand.

W/D/L
    Eldar: 3-3-1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast