The Red Terror - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Red Terror

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Red Terror

Well, after deciding to re-start my 40k army, I went out and bought the Red Terror model as I think its one of the coolest tyranid models available (I personally have 3 favourites, the lictor, the carnifex and the red terror).

I want to include him in my army. Im curious as to what people view as the best ways in which to use him, and any certain tactics that they would use.

Also interested to hear peoples views on this legendary monster.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Well it has been a while since I have used the Red terror, but I certainly remember him. As the tactics go the RT is a small but fast and powerful creature. It will be best put to use using it's speed to pick on things smaller than itself and attacking isolated vehicles and characters.

It's ability to move fast means that it should exploit this to hit small problem units too, infiltrators and so on. It can also effectively guard your flank as deepstriking units tend to be small suicide squads which the RT is well equiped to tackle. And it can quickly catch them.

The RT can also move in quickly to support an attack or help a Carnifex being mobbed by bothersome enemies like Terminators. The RT decent initiative and that it is a monstrous creature will be a big help in stopping people with good armour saves and powerfists. It will also work well when if in your main assault you are heavily counter-attacked the RT can move in quick to support your broods and draw atttention away from the synapse creatures.

Basically the Red terror is a quick backup unit, it won't really stand out in a big assault and it's abilities should not be wated as it is one of the few fast moving monstrous creatures in the game.

It is also a cool model and I like the background. It's ability to eat people whole is cool and I have always personally given it special treatment.
    Last edited by Leech; December 1st, 2006 at 23:05. Reason: So, So many spelling mistakes.

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

Ah the Red Terror I love this guy he is so dasterdly evil . He is usually good on his own but it would probally be better to have some support with him to take on bigger squads. His special "Swallow whole" ability is very nice espically if the enemy puts his PF in front ranks so that you can eat them before they start bashing his brains in which on average he will get to eat him.

Personally some raveners IMO are pretty good choice to support him since their high I can help out since his I is a bit lower. Plus their speed helps them keep up with him and can help take out swarms.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

What's the deal with tyranid special characters? Do you need opponent's consent to field them? It's too bad they took them out of the codex, we're probably the only army with no 'special characters' section in the back of our book...

I'm a stickler when it comes to 'is this tournament legal' stuff but don't let me get you down, if you like the RT. Personally, I think his stats are darn good, especially because of his speed. He definitely helps protect an inherent weakness in Nid armies, whether you're a Nidzilla player or a swarmy player: the faster the unit, the easier to kill... this is besides the flyrant of course, but he isn't exactly invincible, and the RT works very well as his sidekick!
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seem to recall that the Red Terror cannot eat models with Powerfist, as its ability specifically mentions that the Strength of Toughness limit includes increases by Chaos Marks ,etc.
    I guess "etc." includes Equipment and Weapons, but i think this was agreed upon.

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by skizzik View Post
    I seem to recall that the Red Terror cannot eat models with Powerfist, as its ability specifically mentions that the Strength of Toughness limit includes increases by Chaos Marks ,etc.
    I guess "etc." includes Equipment and Weapons, but i think this was agreed upon.
    Well the way we have been playing it around here is they can so I'm not 100% sure though. But IMO since it is equipment and says that things such as Chaos marks don't stop him I would think he could since that isn't a SM normal strength.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Red Terror can only use its eat whole special rule on creatures that have a Strength or Toughness Below 5. This includes equipment given to the model that increases their base strength/toughness. That's how I read it at least. Although I suppose it would make sense that If the opponent has been given a powerfist they would be able to use the increase in strength to resist being eatern.

I'll re-read the rule.....might have to email GW about it.

The red terror, to my knowledge is tournament legal (as long as they allow special characters). The only special character in the tyranids army that you have to ask your opponent before use is the death leaper lictor.

Would you recommend deep striking the red terror or not?
    Last edited by cyberactivity; December 4th, 2006 at 10:32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

I think a RT can eat a powerfisted guys, because it's base Strength is 4, wich is doubled because of the powerfist. Just like a RT can eat a choas marine with the +1 toughness, because it has still a Base Toughness of 4 (it can be instakilled with S8 weapons )

The Rt is a really cool nid, it's fast and deadly. But you probably want to have some raveners of hormagant around it, to decrease hit on the RT, since it has "only" T5!
    and please watch out for the S10 weapons, they certainly like the RT!
    Tyranids Win [31]/ Draw [0]/Lost [0]
    Daemon Hunters Win [17]/ Draw [2]/ Lost [1]
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=232

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

Actually marks of chaos and things that modify the stat line count towards tht strength or toughness. I beleive that power fist guy can be swallowed though.

Although I don't have the red terror, it is awesome. I mean, how can you pass up 6 mc attacks on the charge!

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

The Red terror is great, and it's a fantastic model . i wants one . I wants it now.

Ahem

The powerfist marine's basic strength is well within the edibility quota of the red terror. The marine isn't treated as a S8 model for other strength tests. If he had daemonic strength or was under possession, then he'd be off the menu.
    Likewise to the plague marines, who already give us poor nids a lot of problems, are off the menu.

The rules clearly state that for death leaper you need opponent consent, but for red terror and old one eye, you do not.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast