Guide to Starting Tyranids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

Guide to Starting Tyranids

I was thinking that although there is zerlings' unit thread, it would be helpful to have a relatively simple guide that would help people who were starting tyranids. This would include some basic army types, good first buys, paint schemes and some basic stragegies. Heres some of it that I wrote, but I'm looking for submissions to this guide. Please pm me additions, grieviences or other just post them. Here is the guide so far:

Why choose tyranids?
    Tyranids are a very tactically flexible army. Although many people believe them only to be good a close combat and swarming opponents, they can be used for ranged combat, swarms, an elite fighting force or cc monsters. That being said, they are better at cc than shooting for the most part.

Good First Buys
    The best first buys are usually going to be simple sets of guys that you can use in almost any type of tyranid army. Some good ones are:
    1. The tyranid battle force (pricey but it gives you a balanced list and actually saves you money in the long run because you essentially get the carnifex for free compared to buying all the pieces separately)
    2. A box of warriors and a box of gaunts (this gives you a balanced, legal list that you can immediately start playing with, that has 1 HQ, 2 Troops and if you model only 3 ripper models to a base, a 3rd Troops choice. It is also about $40, American, cheaper than the battle force)
    3. The Battle for Maccrage Set (if you are new to 40k this is probably the best buy because it includes the rule book as well. You will need to get some warriors, a tyrant or a brood lord in order to have a legal army though)

Advice for Equiping you army
    Tyranids are the most mutable units in the game. They have ton of biomorphs available aswell as weapons. This may seem great but it is a curse aswell as a blessing. You need to find out what biomorphs work for you. A good way to do this is to proxy several lists and ways of playing different unit before you actually model them. (for anyone who doesn’t know, proxying is where you play with just the basic models, or even bases to represent the actual models) You can also read through the army lists and battle reports on LO to see what works for other people. The most important advice is, keep it as cheap as you can as long as it can still get the job done.

For some good set ups, here is the link to Zerling's overview of the entire tyranid list: Link

Good Next Steps
    This is always a big deal. Okay, I have the basic army, what do I buy now. It really depends on what you have and the game style you use. The most important thing though is to evaluate you synapse web. If you buy the battle force, you will need another synapse creature. This gives you the choice of either:
    1. Hive Tyrant (an extremely powerful multi use monsterous creature)
    2. Warriors (multi functional creatures that can be fitted to be pretty good at any job)
    3. Broodlord (a cheap close combat monster that can annihilate almost anything and infiltrate but is slow and is a 0-1 choice)
    4. Zoanathorpes (high save psykers that can be out fitted to either support creatures, tank busters or ld sappers)

You may have enough synapse. In this case, all the synapse creatures above are still good buys, but you may want to try something else. Don’t buy more than 3 thorpes, you can’t use them. You can only use 1 broodlord, so don't buy more. Once you have a lot of warriors, go for another unit. 2 hive tyrants for a beginner or semi beginner is probably excessive unless you are making a Godzilla list. Here are some other good next buys:
    1. Raveners (very fast cc monsters but they are vunerable to shooting)
    2. Genestealers (one of the best cc units in the game. A good addition to any force)
    3. More Gaunts! (you can never have too many gaunts in a swarm army
    4. Lictors (assassin, tank killing or troop support units that are vunerable but can't take on high save or power units like spacemarines. They can be hard to use though)
    5. Carnifex (a living tank that can be a deadly fire platform or devastating cc creature)
    6. Gargoyles (extremely mobile creatures that are good at shooting and cc but are expensive money wise)
    Other add-ons are biovores but because of the other creatures usefulness, they are usually aren’t as good of a buy.

Army types
    *Swarm: Uses large numbers of gaunts to smash over the opponents and either kill by sheer numbers or tie up the enemy units while warriors, tyrants, raveners and such rip them to pieces. Lots of models.
    *Godzilla: Maxes out on Monsterous creatures. Uses small fexes as elites, the more expensive as heavy support. They use tyrants as HQs and for troops ussually ripper swarms or some genestealers. Several large models that are strong cc and has several good at shooting.
    *Genestealer: Uses a broodlord as the HQ and has its troops are genestealers. It is an elite army that's model count is closer to a space marine army than the classic tyranid. Devestating in cc.
    FAQ
    Spine gaunts or termagaunts?
    The two most popular configurations of gaunts are the spine fist or fleshborer gaunts. Spine gaunts are used for numbers. They are one of the cheapest units in all of 40k. While termagaunts are only slightly more expensive, they can't get the pure numbers. Still, they are good for several things. They are better at shooting and have the strength to take out av 10, normally back armor. They are good for taking out skimmers at close range simply because of the number of hits you can generate.

Hive fleet name:
    Most people name their armies or 'hive fleets' after mythological beasts. Here is a thread with several pages of names to give you some ideas: Fleet name (useless/fun thread)

Where can I get more information?
    For an indepth review of the nid army, go to zerling's Tyranid Unit Tactica. For specific tactics or overviews of specific units, check out the Tyranid Tactica Index. You can also go to the UK Games Workshop Website or the USA Games Workshop Website.

Last edited by Warrior47; December 5th, 2006 at 02:33.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

A good set of suggestions (I rather wish I had something like this instead of me just cobbling things together as I go.)

The only thing, I can think of a really good reason not to get 2 Broodlords. You can't field both, it's an 0-1 selection, so you should edit that in the section about "what's next".

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

It is a farily good beginers guide and not too long of a read either so that is a bonus for newer players who don't want to read forever. Although you may want to give a outline of the different types of themes you can have such as godzilla, swarm, genestealer army, or any other variant since there quite a few.

Also one little thing that may be misleading IMO is lictors are not really that great of assains unless they are fighting IG, tau, or inquisitors since they are either T3 or just horrible in CC. So it might be better to say they are semit assains so they don't just go after chaplins or SM commanders.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lictor1989 View Post
    Also one little thing that may be misleading IMO is lictors are not really that great of assains unless they are fighting IG, tau, or inquisitors since they are either T3 or just horrible in CC.
    That is not necessarily true. While they are fragile, a well placed charge (on the edge of a unit), should be able to kill enough models (rending) to make sure you do not recieve many attacks back. After that, just hit and run and hide in cover and repeat. Bottom line is, the less attacks back on the Lictors, the better they are, so make our charges carefully!

Good thread though.
    Tyranids: 11/3/1
    Chaos: 2/3/0
    Tau: 3/2/0
    Latest Battle: Tau win against DA!

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofTerror View Post
    That is not necessarily true. While they are fragile, a well placed charge (on the edge of a unit), should be able to kill enough models (rending) to make sure you do not recieve many attacks back. After that, just hit and run and hide in cover and repeat. Bottom line is, the less attacks back on the Lictors, the better they are, so make our charges carefully!

Good thread though.
    With 4 attacks on the charge, you can't rely on rending to clear a combat zone against anything with a decent save.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

Thanks for the input guys. Does anyone know any good sites for some paint schemes for nids or have any painting advice? I'm also going to add an over view of different types of armies.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

75 (x3)

For the painting ideas can we just link to three or four different pics in the gallery (from different armies) and have the person who painted them write something about how and why they painted them that way. I really like the self (Librarium) made feel of the thread, and think taking from other sites doesn't expose how good of painters we have here. Also anything that supports the painting gallery I think is a plus because it seems underused to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior47 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. Does anyone know any good sites for some paint schemes for nids or have any painting advice? I'm also going to add an over view of different types of armies.
    Maybe include a little about the mainly asked topics:

Spine gaunts or termagaunts.

HIVE FLEET NAME

Are warriors any good type thing.

Don't go into too much depth obviously, but if you just touch on them, then I think it'll be a good idea.

Great idea, I was dubious at first, but I see the merit of it.

Remember to link in Zerling's mighty FAQ for reference though.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

+ Reply to Thread