Dire Avengers - overpowered now? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Dire Avengers - overpowered now?

So I have noticed that eldar players in my area have all left their guardians at home for dire avengers now. Now I like the avengers for their 4+ save(no basic troop can pierce their armor) and their 18" range (much better than the 12" they used to have cause it keeps them out of assault range). While I prefer them for these reasons all the other people like them for one reason...bladestorm. Specifically they use bladestorm and then procede to assault the unit they just shot at, leaving a grand total of around 50 attacks. Doom isnt the big thing around here, who needs it when you have 50 attacks per unit, and everyone takes 3 units of them. Now I don't regularly use the assaulting trick, but I am tired of being called cheesy when I put my avengers on the table. I am going to leave my own opinions out of it for a little while and see what everyone else thinks.

Last edited by frozencore; December 3rd, 2006 at 04:44.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x6)

People who call out cheese have crap armies and they know it. They also know how pathetic of a player they are and want to cover it up.

A GOOD player knows how to cope & counter anything. And if they knew they'd be fighting Eldar they'd have to prepare for the chance of fighting Avenegers.

Avengers aren't overpowered. If they can do that, then fine. I'm sure other races have their own ways of being annoying.
    Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its not cheesy to include a few squads of Dire Avengers. Dire Avengers are the Craftworld's basic soldiers. Many armies should include at least one squad of them.
    "What do Humans know of our pain? We have sung songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea."
    - Farseer Eldrad Ulthran of Craftworld Ulthwe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x3)

The fact that someone would call a basic trooper with, worse stats than a SMurf, cheesy shows just how low some players will go. The fact that they haven't learned to cope with models with the toughness and Sv of Storm Troopers and blame there inadiquence on cheesy makes me feel... bad. However, you could tell these people that with a few Heavy Bolters they can tear through your Dire Avenger squad and save the whole argumant (meanwhile get your Banshees in CC :shifty

As GW has made Dire Avengers better (to make them a more frequent choice) it also means that they have counter-ballanced the army to compensate for this. So if another player calls you cheesy, tell them that you have the most expensive transports, the most expensive heavy weapons and you even have HQ psykers that can kill themselve! Now ask them, if they have cheeper transports, and cheeper heavy weapons, why are they complaining about a couple of footsloging troops that are wearing re-inforced cardboard for protection?

Most of all inform them that you have to pay for every upgrade you give to the squad, if the Dire Avengers were cheeper, and got bladestorm free (without an Exarch) then, I would call them cheesy.

Just play the game, see people with 'cheesy' armys as a challenge!
    Quote Originally Posted by MiketehFox View Post
    Ze KHADORANS vill Krush other puny factions into ze Dust! Then vill spread on Sandvich and eat! MMMMMmmmm...

Pwned by Phobos. LictorInTheGrass's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -27 (x0)

Frankly, I am still going to use guardians. Because at the low points they're worth with a Concealing Warlock tagging along I still think they are good cheap support. They only get better now they can fleet with platforms. I do have a squad of dires, and I think they are good but not as good people think. And if people are stupid enought to let themselves be blade storm and charged by them, deserve it. Theres plenty of ways to take care them, like Heavy bolters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Grand total of 50 attacks. Averages end up as about 8 dead marines. Who cares? They haven't made their points back and if their wave serpent comes down then its all over for them.

And if avengers are considered cheese then what about fire dragons?

+_ points to give everyone meltaguns and meltabombs. Any other army in the game would kill for that option.

Avengers aren't overpowered. These just so much hype about them at the moment. People will eventually realise guardians are still better for many armies and that avengers are simply a cheap version of a real aspect warrior. - No point sharing, please. - Firedrake28
    Last edited by Katie Drake; December 3rd, 2006 at 20:14.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

I like the new DA's. This is mostly because I HATE guardians! Why? Every time i take a guardian squad they finish the game destroyed.:cry: I usually win quite handily, so i don't take much loses as a whole but losing guardians takes the edge of an otherwise glorious win! Killing guardians was equivalent to shooting Pandas (endagered and help less)! An endagered race losing its citizenry is horrible. Anyway, thats my view on guardians.

I have no such qualms about losing DAs! They are proffesional warriors so know what they are getting into.

DA's are still very weak for frontline troops but if you allow them to get into range they are quite effective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every time i take a guardian squad they finish the game destroyed. I usually win quite handily, so i don't take much loses as a whole but losing guardians takes the edge of an otherwise glorious win! Killing guardians was equivalent to shooting Pandas (endagered and help less)! An endagered race losing its citizenry is horrible. Anyway, thats my view on guardians.
    Well, Guardians were always meant to be meat shields, anyway.

Avengers are good, but there's no reason to call them cheesy. Comparatively, Banshees and Dragons are even more cheese then. I mean, Avengers like all eldar are just T3 and S3 and don't even have Conceal to protect them from fire. People who call them cheese are just seeing their strengths and ignoring their VERY obvious weaknesses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i actualy love the new dire avengers because they are just so cool looking and i like there special rules. What i don't like is when they kill my terminator squad in combat(4 termies on 5 direavengers with farseer)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there not cheesy and not overpowered, cause if you look they the same points a a sm scout and they better than DA.

also i always had one squad at least of them in the old rules as i still prefered them over guardians
    shien'yanel
    dip me in choclate and feed me to the lesbians
    i am not a geek, i am a lvl 12 paladin!
    i am not a failure and ill prove it!
    its your choice kyle.....tits or destiny
    KISLEV is NOT part of the empire

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast