falcons and vectored engines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

falcons and vectored engines

i saw an earlier topic about holo-fields and spirit stones together being a great thing to add to a tank, but i was wondering if neone else realized the combined effect of vectored engines and holo-fields on tank survivability. With them both. an obliterator with a lascannon only has about a 1 in 65 chance of killing your tank, and a markerlighted rail gun only has about a 1 in 50 chance of killing it (until you become immobilized, but they still only have about a 1 in 16 and 1 in 12 chance of immobilizing it) Does this mean even more people will be crying cheese if i field my two falcons?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

Will I cry cheese? No.

Because for all the points you just dumped into it, I need a 3+ with a lascannon to keep it from firing anything. Then it just hovers around impotently. Mayby dropping a fire dragon squad, or harlequins off. That just became an expensive transport, didn't it?
    * "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah but its less than a land raider and quite a bit more resilient with comparable fire power, it just doesn't transport quite as much

(edit)which means u might stop it from shooting but all those points i dumped in it are gonna get me a lot of victory points at the end
    Last edited by xinsanityx; December 5th, 2006 at 22:14.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken2544 View Post
    Will I cry cheese? No.

Because for all the points you just dumped into it, I need a 3+ with a lascannon to keep it from firing anything. Then it just hovers around impotently. Mayby dropping a fire dragon squad, or harlequins off. That just became an expensive transport, didn't it?
    Nope. Transports can't capture table corners.

Oh, and you need a 3+ and then a 3+ to keep it from firing anything.
    Everything I have told you, even this, is a lie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowcatX View Post
    Nope. Transports can't capture table corners.
    Dedicated transports can't capture anything. Falcons may.

In my opinion, I don't think Falcons require Vectored Engines unless you're transporting a unit that requires the extra protection, such as Harlies or HQs. Otherwise, I consider them to be wasted points.

The reason being is that it's far more likely your transport will be shaken at the same time. This means you now have a big target that can't move or fire that can be penetrated the next turn. All you've really done is made your opponent devote one more round of anti-tank firepower to your transport the next turn.

Though, I'll admit that it'd be extremely handy to have on the sixth turn, but even then it only saves you half your VPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i always put something in my falcons though, they build that transport capacity into their points cost, it'd be a shame to waste it

(edit) i also give it spirit stones so it can always move unless its immobilized

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now i always use holofields, vectored engines and spirit stones on my falcons, they increase the survivability that much that most of my opponants just ignore them, considering it a waste of shots!

Vectored engines are nice, because the most common way my falcons were destroyed was by immob results, now they become an immovable weapon platform that detracts fire from other units because people are determined to get the full victory points!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

I do use vectored engines on my falcons. However I don't feel it's OMG PWN, it's simply that I think the improved odds of survival for the unit inside and the extra shots required to bring it down make it worth the handfull of points.

This goes double for situations where a crashed falcon will be hull down, where it can still be an annoying pest.

However if my scorps still had any place in a waveserpent I think I would use vectored engines for certain. In 4th ed it's hard to deliver your CC cargo without exposing the thing to enemy fire and vectored engines notably increase the odds the waveserpent will deliver its expensive cargo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, my main problem before was being immobilized after zooming 24" across the table... now its not a problem! :-) And those wave serpents can be a pain if not destroyed and just immobilized even if their weapons aren't THAT great...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

A brief scan of the army list forum will show you that most people are now putting vectored engines on falcons as well as the traditional Spirit stones and holo field
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

+ Reply to Thread