Necron Counter Charge - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necron Counter Charge

Hi all,

I just started using a destroyer army and one of my main problems comes when my line gets contacted. At this point my destroyers having such large bases get tied up really fast and block a lot of line of sight.

Can we have a discussion on the counter charge options available to necrons. I tried out a c'tan nightbringer but he cant tie up many troops and isnt that unbeatable in close combat.

Also of note, has anyone had trouble with destroyers taking up too much space and being vulnerable to ordnance weapons?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Reality12345 View Post
    Hi all,

I just started using a destroyer army and one of my main problems comes when my line gets contacted. At this point my destroyers having such large bases get tied up really fast and block a lot of line of sight.

Can we have a discussion on the counter charge options available to necrons. I tried out a c'tan nightbringer but he cant tie up many troops and isnt that unbeatable in close combat.

Also of note, has anyone had trouble with destroyers taking up too much space and being vulnerable to ordnance weapons?
    Using an all Destroyer army, your Destroyers should never end up in close combat (ideally. I know that things can happen in a battle that are beyond your control). If you find that the Destroyers are often finding themselves tied up in close combat, you should try to be a bit more careful when moving them about. Remember that you can move and shoot on the same turn, so if the enemy is getting close, you can always move backward and still shoot.

There are few counter charge units that are widely regarded as worth their points. Most people dislike Flayed Ones, which could certainly be used for counter charging. Pariahs are another choice, but with only 2 attacks on the charge (not to mention being really expensive) they probably aren't the best choice, either.

I think your best bet is to just take a Lord with a Veil of Darkness and teleport out of close combat when you get stuck (or use a Monolith for this same purpose).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Youre using an all destroyer army and your getting into CC? Destroyers are ment for shooting, shooting, and some more shooting. They can flank your opponents army and dish out some serious firepower. This all comes down to this conclusion - no CC for destroyers.

If your destroyers are getting into CC then you are playing them wrong. You want them boosting down the flanks of the table and then shooting. I never move my destroyers down the middle of the board becasue they will get shot before they can get their points back. For this reason I put a scary unit (monolith for instance) in front of my opponents army and teleport warriors through it. This distracts my opponent from my more "valueable" units (destroyers) until it is too late.

IMO necrons dont have that many counter-charge units. For this reason I try to distract my opponent from the units that really matter. If you really need a good counter-charge unit try flayed ones or even warriors.

W/T/L- 85 Billion/1/4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x3)

if anything try useing a screen of scarabs. If you really need to you could have scarabs tail behind the destroyes, as they can keep up. or even wraiths, who can keep up and are good in close combat! but thats more expensive.
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=104497
    PM me about Aurora Prime Vassal fights! Willing and ready!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x3)

o wait.. that clouds your fast attack slots.... hmmm
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=104497
    PM me about Aurora Prime Vassal fights! Willing and ready!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi thanks for all the advice. Sorry but I can't help but ask how your destroyers don't get contacted.

What size table are you all playing on? I play on a 4 by 7 table. On such a table its easy especially for horde armies to contact destroyers by surrounding them and sheer numbers. Sure you get to shoot them and stuff, but if even one model hits your destroyer line you can get tied up for 1-2 turns. Destroyers are horrid in CC and have small numbers to boot.

Plus on a 4 by 7 table, where can you go to hide? It is only so big, you cannot continually go backwards and shoot or you will be falling off the edge soon. Problem is against a skilled opponent he will go STRAIGHT to your destroyers and engage them in CC ignoring absolutely everything else. Why? Because the minute he does that he ties up 5 destroyers and 15 strength 6 shots. PLUS he stops return fire.

I don't know what armies you guys have played against but I certainly don't find it so easy to fly away from CC woes. Picture this fleeting hormogaunts with leaping. Thats a 7-12" move with a 12" assault range. So they can charge from 19-24" away! With 3 squads of them on the table they can each cover a 48" diameter circle. 3 squads can cover 3 circles totaling 144". Do you really think there is still space on the board to hide?

I don't think its fair for you all to say I am not playing my necrons right because they got contacted without first getting information on what the issue is. Playing against a skilled opponent, do you really think your monolith will scare him? He will just charge into CC not caring about what dies as long as he hits your line.

Sorry I am just slightly peeved that people would judge my strategic ability so soon before even having information on the subject.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terrain should slow down the infantry, and have little effect on your flying destroyers. It'll give him cover, which is bad, but slowing him down is good! Are you using the standard '25% of the board covered' amount of terrain?

With fast-moving armies like my DE, I try to deploy more or less centrally and then jump over to one flank. The other guy can still charge just as far, but by concentrating your fire on a smaller part of your army you can hopefully hurt it badly enough that you can rebuff the charge. (or watch them run away if you're lucky!) The rest of the enemy army has to then redeploy, emerging one unit at a time from behind terrain so you can engage them piecemeal...in a perfect world anyways.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

I'll tell you what I use, but I already know its not a "popular" option.
    My destroyers never end up in combat because, if they do, its all but over. Their strengths are fast mobility and very long range, they should be able to keep anything at bay.
    While, template ord can be a problem, you should always be getting first shots at said vehicle with big nasty. with the move and shoot, a group of 3 destroyers should at LEAST be getting one glance thus negating the fire-back. But that also depends on what your personal preference for target priority is. I always go for tanks first with my destroyers.

My lines are protected by a squad of wraiths, and a squad of pariahs. They mill just behind the lines so when my squad gets charged, they can charge in and push the combat over in my favor. This along with my Lord with warscythe is usually enough to get my warriors out of trouble within a turn.

hope this helps.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice. It is much appreciated. I initially toyed around with the idea of wraiths but that takes up my fast attack slots. I also thought of pariahs and flayed ones but pariahs are a tad bit expensive while flayed ones are useless when not in combat.

I think in my case of a destroyer army I will go with flayed ones and a necron lord with a veil and destroyer body.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x3)

flayed ones and a veil are a waste against massed hormies. you, um teleport, and they assault you. teleport into cover, yes, but sorry to say if you're getting bogged by many hormagaunts, there isnt much you can do. necron counter attacking is quite good considering their inititive yet hormies are too fast. WWB is the answer to hormies but a destroyer army hasnt got the models to benefit this situation and grind them down after they charge.

now i say this because i advocate 2 or none at all, for anything:yes: take none or take two. i'd go with 2x monoliths. works wonders
    Last edited by jONESIE; December 10th, 2006 at 15:10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffar_Hasad
    You need more Mordians?
    They still exist?
    LO RULES

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast