Dense terrain choices. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dense terrain choices.

I need some advice on what types of eldar units would be good in dense terrain. I'm going to build a gaming board and I need some ideas on what units to use. I know that pathfinders are good, and Guardians are also good as they can protect a building quite well, with their assault 2 weapons, and the low range is effective when the enemy units are closing into assault, i find that with the high number of shots they can produce is a good derteriant. so have you guys got any ideas??

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty much any combat squad would work well in dense terrain as the cover should keep them safe from their dreaded enemy, the ranged weapon. As the opponent closes in, they can spring out and do what they do best. Harlequins would be great for deanse terrain because of their flip belts. For a ranged unit in a building, Dire Avengers would work even better than the guardians as their bladestorm coupled with a higher ballistic skill and can cause a ridiculous amount of damage. Farseers would also be a good choice on a dense terrain table as most of their powers dont require line of sight, allowing them to keep safe while still boosting their army and dooming enemy squads..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wraith guard are also good for tank hunting, in dense terrain. Also fire prisms are great, because for their line shooting rule. if you can manage to speed up the flank you can unleash a devastating attack upon the enemy defense positions. What ive found is that dense terrain really negates the need for transports, because you dont need to protect the units from shooting, as you get good cover saves, and theres no line of sight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scorpions get a bonus moving through cover as well--they're rarely a bad choice!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

Actually pathfinders are a bad choice in dense terrain. True they like to set up in terrain but otherwise they like fairly clear fireing lines for their sniper rifles.

In addition to the units mentioned I think skimmers and jetbike units would work well in dense terrain.

The skimmers can move freely, ignoring the terrain. This is especially usefull if you are using skimmers designed to get close like the awsome falcon or the otherwise not so usefull dual shuricannon vyper.

The guardian jetbikes can use the terrain to hop out, shoot, and then hop back behind terrain. Allowing them to stay out of combat while dealing casualties. Shining spears can do that too, and with the skilled rider ability they can rocket through dense terrain fairly safely.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Don't forget shining spears - They have access to Skilled Rider USR, so are pretty safe ducking through terrain if they need to.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Harlequins; they ignore difficult terrain.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try using some War Walkers, the terrain provides a lot of cover for them and the limited firing lines they like (so the return fire doesn't annihilate them). The ability to give each two scatter lasers makes up nicely for the fact that everyone is going to have a cover save, eight shots a piece is nice.

Give them a farseer to guide them too and you'll be all set

And like everyone else said, harlequins are a no brainer
    My Armies
    Eldar 11-1-1
    Necrons 9-1-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of the list

It depends on what you want, most eldar units are significantly more mobile in terrain then your average bear, but if you are shooty (which I would avoid in terrain dense boards) then I would avoid Fire prisms, deep-striking, and I would go heavy on rate of fire over AP since most everything will get a cover save (so flamers and other templates al la Destructor start looking great!) Also, invest in Crack shot when you can as it ignores cover saves.

I would recommend a list that includes Scorpions with their move through cover upgrade. Also consider including Karrandras as he adds the stealth ability and will up your cover saves. Conversely if you are planning on holding objectives and making folks come to you the Avatar is great for the Inspiring benefit and being great in H2H.

D-guns, tempest launchers, and other barrage weapons are great because you don't need LoS and if you can place them in range of objectives you know your opponent will be compelled to come within range. In general, since eldar have short ranged weaponry and can't soak much shooting more terrain is almost always an advantage for you. If you are clever you can use the extra movement of eldar to block LoS and protect yourself while circumventing it easily to choose you assaults. You need to make sure you mutually support your attack elements, but most of the time you should be able to pick off enemy units while using cover to shield yours from reprisal.

God luck!
    Have fun,

Frank

"Orcs are what happens when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles grow old and bitter."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Striking scorpions, fire dragons and howling banshees and wraithguard are all good in dense terrain. Back them up with guardian defenders and dire avengers, and a dooming farseer!
    Currently painting The Pink Slaughter (Slaanesh CSM), Waaaaagh Bigtoof (Orks) for 40k/OnePage40k and UCM Ferrum 2nd for Dropzone Commander.
    Gallery:http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/us...tiebestie.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast