Nids Vs Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nids Vs Tau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nids Vs Tau

Hey everyone, I was thinking of playing my friend in a 1500pt game, and was trying to think of a stragety.

If I devoted my list to Shooting, could I actually out-shoot Tau?

If you think yes, hows about some examples(and I know Gunfex w/ BS for Troops and VC for Broadsides/vehicles)

Imperator Rex - Dei Castigator

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

I've only played against Tau once, but I wiould recommend using a fast, swarmy cc army. Why would one play to the enemy's strengths, when one's own strengths play to the enemy's weakness?

Pretty much all Tau have going for them is good firepower. And skimmers. Their big guns (railheads?) are pretty efficient at stripping wounds off of TMC's... pretty much everything they have is designed so they can just stand there and shoot across a field at you.

However, they are HORRIBLE in combat... hormagaunts will make fools out of his basic troops. I would run a fast, swarmy army on him, he'll have 1 or 2 turns to gun down a zillion gribblies, and when he fails the gaunts will mop the floor with him. Just make sure you bring enough light firepower (like zoan's and warriors) to down his skimmers, without giving him juicy targets like fexes to aim his railguns at.

But then again, this is really my general strategy for all opponents. If you really want to outgun him, I'm sure it's possible and someone more experienced with shooty nids will probably post and tell you how to do it.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

I don't think it's possible to truely out shoot tau...you can come close, and if you really want to try I'd advise a healthly helping of fexes with BS's, dakka fexes, and maybe the devil tyrant (or whatever the 2x TL devourer tyrant is called).

That being said, I think it would be much more effective to just field roughly 100 hormagaunts (or, if you don't have that many, as many as you do have and replace the lost points with spine\fleshborer gaunts) with some very cheap yet fairly quick synapse. (flying warriors, perhaps a flyrant, perhaps a broodlord, and definately zoies). Don't take genestealers, while they are insane in combat, with Tau it's serious overkill and most likley they'll be blown away before the cross the table. The hormie swarm is very effective as, no matter how many shots a tau player has, he\she isn't going to be able to take out that many units in the max of two turns of shooting he\she will get. Combine that with getting as many very cheap synapse as possible and I think you would be able to wipe the floor with any tau player.

That's just my personal suggestion as to how to deal with Tau. (I know some of it is a little absurd, but we're talking about strategies here)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau is really bad at cc and good at shooting. Here are some suggestions to get:
    1) Hormagaunts they will get there fast and beat him up real good.
    2) Gargoyles they will work aganist his light skimmers(phirans) with thier str 4 gun and bio plasma if they charge. Plus if you can get to back of hammerheads armor 10
    3) Gunfexs (vc,bs) for the hammerheads and devilfishes
    4) walking tryant with vc and bs for troops and hammerheads
    5) Flying HT with 2 tl devs for the troops 12 shots at str5 is nice with rerolls to miss and wound.
    6) Maybe Zoanthropes but thier warp blast is going to be tough to get in range to the skimmers
    7) Always getting enough syanapse creatures.
    Good Hunting
    Bonekrusher

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Speed and asault are your friends, with Nids you can pretty much guarantee a second turn assault, and done correctly the Tau will have very little chance of killing enough to prevent asault 2nd turn.
    I use winged warriors, winged Tyrant, lots of ETC cara / scuttle equiped stealers supported by Hormies and lictors and I win a lot more than I lose against Tau and Tau and nids are my main armies.
    Skimmers only do so much and they will get caught and despite what others say rending stealers will stop skimmers.
    Speed is your friend use it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Although I agree with the general sentiment towards running up to the Other Blue Meat and hitting it, I have found there is some unexpected effectiveness in Nid shooting vs Tau. The Tau's other two weaknesses are less than MEQ saves and toughness, and worse morale, and these can be made to trip them up with a little ballistic pre-digestion.

Take for example the barbed strangler. Tau hate to be pinned. Even the S4 warrior-mounted version is worth thinking about vs Tau, especially since it out-ranges the firewarrior gauss rifles (they hate that too). VCs may not be very good at puncturing skimmers but they can certainly keep them stunned and thus ineffective. Dev tyrants and dakkafexes chew through firewarriors like it's a party. And even a horde of lowly spinegaunts can outshoot their equivalent points in firewarriors since they will have the numbers to get into range. Once they get there they hit more often thanks to twin-linking vs the firewarriors' indifferent BS. And to top it all off, the gaunts is arguably superior in close combat!

For even more fun take a psychic choir army vs the Tau...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really depends on your friends Tau build. If he is playing Mech Tau, playing a horde army is pretty much useless as hormagaunts/termagaunts won't be able to do squat against devilfish/hammerheads and he can just fly around shredding your forces with ordinance blasts and burst cannon fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

Most Tau players look at Genestealers as easy VP, and they're largely correct.

One of the best performing units I've found vs. Tau are Gargoyles, especially if they're supported by a Dakka Tyrant and a squad of flying Warriors (triple-threat tactic, what does your opponent shoot at? ).

Gargoyles have a reasonably not-terrible chance to take down AV10 AND well outperform the Tau in close combat thanks to Bio-Plasma. When backed up with the right support squads (I find Spinegaunts work best for the price vs. Tau and other GEQs), even Mech 'Tau should have some difficulty taking down your forces.

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

Really I think tyranid shooting wouldn't be that bad against tau since they usually don't have much for a save and average Ld. Oh and who ever said HH will waste a fex is crazy as if they take only HH they will have at most 3 shots a turn that won't even kill a fex in a turn and if you tool them out right they would have to use two more shots to finish them and thats if they all hit. In other words give your HS fexes some decent upgrades and the tau will have a hard time taking them out.

Also take zoanthropes with PS and the tau will run like wipped dogs (keep synapse nearby too so they cannot be insta killed). Also use carnifexs as living walls to protect your zoans since they are much better equiped to take shots or just have synapse nearbye since they need to fire two rail shots to kill em (though I wouldn't since plasma rifles will probally be around). Get some dakka fexs to destroy any infantry they have and some lictors to catch their crisis suits or hold the infantry down.

Warriors with guns wouldn't be too bad of an idea though the str 5 guns could hurt the range of deathspitters should keep em alive and I would take BS as the large blast should help plus the pining.

As said before gargoyles would be a very good idea to take as well with their awsome speed and still decent CC capabilities plus if they have to go after a HH they have a chance with their fleshborers and bio plasma.

So IMO you could beat tau at range which would be all the more sweet since they are mainly shooting and we are spoused to be mainly CC (ah I love how the new codex makes for so much flexability for army choices ). Plus you can still march across and eventually get in CC since tau are so horrible at it your shooting nids should still have no problem beating them in it :shifty: .
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

In my experience, Nid shooting against Tau is very effective while the CC swarm is much less reliable. Have some gaunts run up the table while a couple squads of Warriors with Deathspitters blast any infantry from afar. The Tau will be forced to kill the gaunts instead of the Warriors while rolling large numbers of armor saves. Use Gargoyles to hunt down battlesuits, dedicate your TMCs/Zoans to shooting down their skimmers, leave the genestealers at home and that's basically all you need to do.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast