Special characters/usability? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Special characters/usability?

I'm entirely new to 40k- all my prior experience is in fantasy playing high elves. Now in fantasy, when you took a special character, it was a major point sink, and often boiled down to "kill him and win" for your opponent. I notice that the 'special characters' for the eldar don't seem exceptionally pricy for what they do. so the questions are as follows.

1) Is it legal to take any of the special characters in the book at any game? Or should I clear it with my opponent?

2) Will any of the characters make my opponent enjoy the game less?

3) I know that WYSIWYG is more important in 40k than fantasy. Is there a specific way to represent Pathfinders as opposed to rangers? (Not a character question, but one I would like to have answered)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) Is it legal to take any of the special characters in the book at any game? Or should I clear it with my opponent?
    I don't think the Eldrad characters count as special characters. They are just another HQ choice. Both are excellent in game though, especially Eldrad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

None of the special characters require your opponent's permission (anymore). They used to, back in the day, but they stopped doing that.

If the special characaters make your opponent like the game less, they are not prepared. Eldrad is so awesome for what he does, and the phoenix lords can really pack a wallop. Some of them do more than others, and it will depend on what you are facing.

I painted my pathfinders different from my rangers. But honestly, there is really no WYSIWYG difference between them.
    * "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by djbobpat View Post
    I'm entirely new to 40k- all my prior experience is in fantasy playing high elves. Now in fantasy, when you took a special character, it was a major point sink, and often boiled down to "kill him and win" for your opponent. I notice that the 'special characters' for the eldar don't seem exceptionally pricy for what they do. so the questions are as follows.

Yes it is legal, you used to need your opponents permission but GW are changing this and none of the new codecies have that requirement, the only official requirements are stated in the characters section (eg any Army over 1500 points...) and even those are not always present. You would encounter some odd looks taking them out of context (eg Yriel with an Alaitoc style army) but it is not illegal, also some tourneys preclude special character
    2) Will any of the characters make my opponent enjoy the game less?
    It depends, both Yriel and Eldrad are pretty powerfull, but you pay for what you get, does your enemy like fluff? is he desperate to win?
    3) I know that WYSIWYG is more important in 40k than fantasy. Is there a specific way to represent Pathfinders as opposed to rangers? (Not a character question, but one I would like to have answered)
    There is no difference in the models, there is no official "paint them differently"
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everybody.

I must say, this is quite the helpful website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Then let me be the first to welcomme you to this fantastic forum! Any of your questions can be answered! "Why isn't the sky red and filled with flying dogs?", "does my eyes bleed?" etc.

Enjoy your stay and feel free to ask anything!

The others have pointed out the important parts. Thing to keep in mind is that some of teh special characters are really 'ard. A couple of those Phoenix Lords are just scary...

+ Reply to Thread