Suprising Insects - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -31 (x0)

Suprising Insects

Howdy guys,
    So, I haven't posted here in a while, but I'm back.
    I've recently made a modified tyranid Godzilla list.... at 2000 points, it goes something like this:

Tyrant
    Tyrant
    Dakafex
    Dakafex
    Dakafex
    22x Spine Gaunt
    22x Fleshborer Gaunt
    16x Genestealers
    5x Ripper bases.
    Sniperfex
    Sniperfex
    and then the big haus of a CC carnifex....

So, I got lots of wounds. I know it's a pretty munchy army, but I tone it down for friendly games, taking out a dakafex and some of te genestealers in favor of some Zoats, and I don't play as hard.... so it's fine with the guys I play with. But I use a different tactic - I line up my TMC's in a row, and put the stealers behind them, and use it as mobile cover. It works pretty well. I played against a shooty chaos army, with like 600000 missile launchers and 2 land raiders with TL lascannons, and didn't loose a TMC until turn two, in which case, my stealers where already ready to assault. So, I think it worked well.

But, it was suprising. Not everything worked like I thought it would. I'll explain.

Ripper bases - Sure these weren't the average ripper bases, costing something like 25 points each.... but dang! They assaulted a unit of 15 strong chaos marines, with a champion in terminator armor.... On my assault, I dealt something like 9 wounds, 5 of which were unsaved, while taking only 4..... I won the assault, and outran the chaos squad because of my adernal glands.... Crazy!

CC carnifex - This guys is a hauss.... 217 points or something like that.... every close combat upgrade I could give him. Last time he was out, he took out a daemon prince and chosen squad in terminator armor..... So I figured he would do the job. Yeah, lets just say that landraiders don't really like str 10, with an average of 10 attacks on the charge (Crushing claws), that get 2D6 armor pen.... It was horrible.

Shooting fexes - These guys' didn't do a whole lot.... I was kind of let down. I was hoping to get something good against the Land raiders, like destroyed or armament destroyed or something... maybe it was just my bad luck, but after 4 glancing hits, I had yet to do anything besides make the drivers mad.... Oh well.

Tyrants - Run of the mill tyrant, VC, ScyTal, EC..... did some ok Damage, mostly there for synapse.... but they do ok in combat as well.

Stealers - .... I don't know about them. Kind of squishy. THinking about testing out raveners, since I can garauntee their safe transport to the enemy (If I can't get there anyway, something has gone wrong)

Dakkafexesk - Same as always, drew lots of fire once they got in range and barffed out shots....

Overal, I had fun, and liked the general layout. THe gaunts died of course, but kept bolters off of me for a turn or two, which is fine with me. Gaunts don't do much to chaos marines anyway...

TSg.t Zakarius Clay
    142nd Cadian, Stationed Planet Skyfall B
    4th Brigade, 1st Battalion, 1st Co.
    'The Pathfinders', Drop Team - 6

Pssst.... give me kudos....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhagadurn View Post
    Yeah, lets just say that landraiders don't really like str 10, with an average of 10 attacks on the charge (Crushing claws), that get 2D6 armor pen.... It was horrible.
    How do you get an average of 10? With crushing claws, scything talons, and tusked, you'll have 5+D6 on the charge, which averages only around 8. Not counting tail attacks, of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by moob View Post
    How do you get an average of 10? With crushing claws, scything talons, and tusked, you'll have 5+D6 on the charge, which averages only around 8. Not counting tail attacks, of course.
    Actually, it's 3+D6 if you're using scything talons and tusks. The crushing claws are *instead* of the basic attacks... so it's more like an average of 6. (yes, the same number you would get with 2x scythes instead...) :cry:
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln View Post
    Actually, it's 3+D6 if you're using scything talons and tusks. The crushing claws are *instead* of the basic attacks... so it's more like an average of 6. (yes, the same number you would get with 2x scythes instead...) :cry:
    Wait, if it's a single D6 then there is no average. Should be an even distribution from the min to the max.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

And since you can't use tail weapons on a charge (due to them having stupid rules), the absolute most attacks you can get on a charge with a Carnifex is 10 (1 for charging, 1 for charging with tusks, 1 for Scything Talons, 6 from Crushing Claws, 1 from Bio Plasma)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magnet_man View Post
    Wait, if it's a single D6 then there is no average. Should be an even distribution from the min to the max.
    Don't know what you mean when you say there is no average. There is certainly an expectation (3.5 to be exact).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you feel that the Double TL Devourer Fexes are a letdown for you, try this configuration from the Dakka forums:
    Spine Banks, Tail Weapon-mace,TL Devourers, Scything Talons
    113 points

Sure it can only fire 6 shots, 2 of which only have 12" range. And the shots it fires only hit at 56%, not 75%.
    But, these shot are still high-strength, still have and effect outside the charge range of the Fex and they can have twice as many close combat attacks as the 2xTl Devourer ones.
    Hmm, they also attack at I10 versus troops in cover...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by skizzik View Post
    they also attack at I10 versus troops in cover...
    Simultaneously (regardless of I), not at I10.

I'd rather have AG(I) then a Tail Weapon, though, especially since Tail Weapons can't be used the turn you charge, but only in turns after (and only if there are enough models left to trigger its use).

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
    Don't know what you mean when you say there is no average. There is certainly an expectation (3.5 to be exact).
    Technically since it is only one die there is an exactly even chance of getting any number on it, there's isn't really an average. Sure, across the entirety of it's use you should expect to come out with roughly 3.5 attacks each time, however, when you actually roll the die, you come out with an exactly even chance of getting one attack and getting six. (I think that's what theposter before talking about not having an average number of attacks was getting at.

On the subject at hand, personally I find that relying on a d6 for my base attacks is risky at best and near suicide at worst. (since the fex already has two attacks, three with the scything talons you could put on him instead of the claws.) Beyond that, claws are rediculously expensive for what they actually do.

For the Dakkafex, personally I don't see any real advantage in in using the alternate configuration with the spinebanks. You shorten your range and get a whopping one extra attack in CC. The extra shots from having a second TL devourer is almost garunteed to get you more wounds than that, especially since it will fire once at 18 inches, once at 12 inches, and then once again before you charge the remaining 6. The talons will get one extra attack, it just isn't really worth it. And if you want to go simo into cover, it's what, a whopping 1 point to get flesh hooks. I just don't see any advantage to the spinebanks configuration for an elite fex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by paul_Harkonen View Post
    Technically since it is only one die there is an exactly even chance of getting any number on it, there's isn't really an average. Sure, across the entirety of it's use you should expect to come out with roughly 3.5 attacks each time, however, when you actually roll the die, you come out with an exactly even chance of getting one attack and getting six. (I think that's what theposter before talking about not having an average number of attacks was getting at.
    Thanks, that was what I was saying. After I posted I went and talked to a friend with a lot of statistics background and he pretty much said what you said
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast