New Army List Disappointments? Have any? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hunched Over My Workbench, furiously painting away.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

New Army List Disappointments? Have any?

I was wondering if anyone else who has done some gaming with the new codex has run into stuff that didn't work quite as nicely as they'd hoped?

For me so far, it's been the Harlequins.

Again, let me preface everything I'm about to say by explaining that I'm new to eldar (since the original harlies in 1990, when I left the game), and I'm new to vehicles in general, since I think they aren't usually worth their points in 4th ed.

Comparing my results from a squad of banshees and a squad of harlies, I just don't know if I can justify the clowns use. Perhaps my general-ing needs more work (of that I'm sure) or maybe my dice just suck (which I'm also fairly certain of), but I just am not having the luck killing stuff with harlies that I am with the banshees.

My only other bit of a bummer was the Swooping Hawk skyleap. By the time I rolled them back in for reserves (which I'm also not good at rolling :cry: ) their opportunity to truly effect the game was missed, and the pie plate grenade didn't really do much damage anyway.

Again,
    I stink at eldar so far, so your mileage may vary, but has anyone else run into something that wasn't as they expected?

Baby, when I'm the voice of reason, we've got problems!
    ~artificer

Someone should stop
    Jervis "let's make it easy enough for a 3 year old to play" Johnson
    before he turns 40k into checkers

~anon

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you have the harlies Kisses? My experience using them without would agree with yours (although I also had bad luck!) but a little math shows that the Kiss makes them FAR more effective against marines.

I have to disagree with you on the vehicle front. Many of the armies I play would be hamstring without thier transports. (Wyches, Sisters) Frankly I think the lack of a Wave Serpent in my current army is what's hurting me. What kind od vehicles have you been having trouble with?

Hunched Over My Workbench, furiously painting away.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

I used a squad of 9 harlies, all with kisses, including a shadowseer and troupe leader.
    As I said, my rolling for things like rends stinks.

Regarding vehicles, I just have to get past the learning curve for them. I usually use 2 wave serpents loaded with 10 DAs, and 1-2 falcons, with fire dragons and banshees.

In one of the last games I only used 1 falcon with FDs, and the harlies were on foot.
    Baby, when I'm the voice of reason, we've got problems!
    ~artificer

Someone should stop
    Jervis "let's make it easy enough for a 3 year old to play" Johnson
    before he turns 40k into checkers

~anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

I think the Autarch was a bit of a let-down. He is really not as Ć¼ber-costumizable as he was claimed to be, I wanted to kit him out with Exarch powers and Exarch weapons. But then, he is no Exarch...

Harlequins are a bit of a let-down since they are far too rare and powerful not to be 0-1, I don't want to see them all over tournaments.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might do better with a squad of 6 harlies in a Falcon rather than footslogging them.

Then you could probably bump the Banshees up to a 10 man squad in a Serpent and get more effectiveness from both squads.
    "What do Humans know of our pain? We have sung songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea."
    - Farseer Eldrad Ulthran of Craftworld Ulthwe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Harlies are ideal foot-sloggers however. With a Shadow seer, their flip-belts and holo-suits they are pretty safe. Close combat squads need numbers, and 6 Harlies in a Falcon are not really ideal. It also means you have to put the Falcon very close to the enemy where they can zoom around and shoot its rear.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Viktor View Post
    Harlies are ideal foot-sloggers however. With a Shadow seer, their flip-belts and holo-suits they are pretty safe. Close combat squads need numbers, and 6 Harlies in a Falcon are not really ideal. It also means you have to put the Falcon very close to the enemy where they can zoom around and shoot its rear.
    This is true, but I still think transport can help.

Maybe Cal's Battle Report about Eldar vs. Alpha Legion gave an inflated veiw of them, but that setup seemed to work well in that game.

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ha-legion.html (1850 New Eldar, tested against Alpha Legion.)
    "What do Humans know of our pain? We have sung songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

I like pretty much all of the new codex so no complains from me about the units. Although, I would of liked to of seen some army traits to further customise an army list to represent different craftworlds in a more unique way....can't get everything you want eh?
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heiromyo View Post
    I like pretty much all of the new codex so no complains from me about the units. Although, I would of liked to of seen some army traits to further customise an army list to represent different craftworlds in a more unique way....can't get everything you want eh?
    I deffinately agree. It would make creating your own Craftworld much more interesting and rewarding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

The new Eldar Codex is great,fun to play and an overall good army. I wish the Autarch could get more upgrade options, I love customizing Chaos Lords\ Daemon Princes with tons uf useful gear, an Eldar Autarch has so few options Ƨ_Ƨ
    Pathfinders are the only unit with nearly no upgrades, apart from the Pathfinder skill itself...why not having a guy similar to an Exarc with some nice addiotional abilities\equip ?
    I don't like Hawks and Vypers (even though I'll always play a Vyper against Khorne!), Scorpions are sweeeeeeet >____>

On the whole I really like it, more customization options for Autarchs\Farseers would have been great though.

Actually Playing:
    40k : Necron ,Chaos, Space Orks ,Eldar ,Dark Angels, 'Nyds
    WHFB : Orks & Gobbos, Vampire Counts

G3n3s1s is located at:
    44°30′N 11°21′E

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast