lets talk support weapons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lets talk support weapons

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone here takes support weapons in their list. I've been looking at them and quite frankly, they don't seem worth the points. The vibrocannon seems the best of the lot, but it's expensive and has to be exposed to enemy fire. The D-cannon has a pathetic range. The shadow weaver would be cool if it was large blast, but as is.... I am a chaos player and am used to having access to the battlecannon. The eldar have superior tech, but it doesn't show in their support weapons. If someone has found them effective, please tell me. I've haven't actually played an eldar list yet, and don't have the army down. At the moment, I'm reading the codex and seeing what I like. I would like to know if my initial thoughts on support weapons are on the money, as I've never seen anyone take them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

I find them pretty useless. Theres much better HS choices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x1)

Falcons are the only support weapons we need :yes:
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left" Bertrand Russell

We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a Human can understand.

W/D/L
    Eldar: 3-3-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

V-cannon don't actually need line of sight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

Support Weapon is mostly for a static shooting army that does not have many specialized close combat unit to counter assault.

You may take a unit of 3 D-Cannons for a secured 24" radius zone free of Jump Assault Marines (or the sorts). If your opponent knows what a D-Cannon can do to their units, they will have fear to approach them.

You could take a unit of 2-3 Vibro Cannons just to silence the Basilisk or that pesky Whirlwind every turn. You do not necessarily have to destroy the vehicle, as long as the Vibro Cannon hits on a 4+, shaken result.. you win.. anything better than shaken, you just earned a bonus.

Shadow Weaver is just similar version of the Imperial Mortar without the AP, but its design is to take out low armour enemy barrage team or heavy weapon team (Imperial Guards). Besides, they are quite affordable at merely 90pts per full-sized unit that can fire at nearly the entire 4x4 board
    Anima Tactics - try it out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

A non-mobile eldar army should be investing in waithlords and war walkers. They will give much better results for there cost. If you want a versatile unit (there isn't alot in the eldar list) take a waithlord. They are awesome anti-tank (bs 4 brightlance and EML) That is good in combat and is tough! I usually take one for anti-tank cause he needs 3 good solid hits to be taken down. Usually if this happens hes already had a chance to kill a tank or 2. If he gets low on wounds you could always get him in combat with some poor soul (watch out for rending). i just find support platforms are to weak for what they are. We eldar have better choices that are just as hard hitting (or even more so) and are better in other ways.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

I've used D-Cannons successfully before.

Any mission that lets you sit still and guard something (recon, etc.) will benefit from a 24" kill zone. I've destroyed Land Raiders with these things. Destroying Land Raiders in my first shooting phase is always a good thing.

I wouldn't use shadow weavers, and vibro cannons I haven't found a use for. Maybe if I played on something that wasn't a 4x4 board, I would be able to use the longer range weapons...

Plus, they are cheap. Throw in a warlock w/ conceal, or better yet, just keep them behind cover and out of los, you now have a fire base that shouldn't be taking any fire, but can still destroy tanks, terminators, whatever.
    Gareth is the person I try to impress when I convert and paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're a mixed bag - the D-cannon is a cheaper, longer range alternative to Wraithguard, however I think it's suffered a bit of a downgrade in the new codex as it no longer resolves hits vs. vehicles using the ordnance table. Before that, I might have thought of taking them against Necrons.

Shadow weavers I've never used - frankly I think that Warp Spiders or Scatter lasers on various platforms would do you better for the points and versatility. Even reapers might do more for the points (greater survivability).

V-cannons are probably the best of the lot. In cityfight (no LOS? who cares?), or against horde Tyranid armies where you can guarantee drawing lines through multiple units, they're priceless. If nothing else, they will really influence the way he moves his army (avoiding a very broad fire lane). I'm not sure how the rules cover how they effect skimmers, but I think you may be able to get away with your falcons etc. being immune, and use them to 'cross the t' over the fire lane which your vibro cannons set up.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

D-cannon used to be OK in 3rd ED.

Vibro cannons are nice for their non LOS fireing. They are good glancers and sometimes you might get lucky and hit a bunch of units.

I actually take a shadow weaver but it's just because I had one and they're really cheap. By putting them down first in deployment it allows me to better position my falcons since I have a better picture where the falcons(with fire dragons) targets (enemy heavy vehicles) will be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These things really shouldn't be eating up our heavy support slots like this. They might be worth taking if they allowed like 2 squads per slot, but otherwise why would we sacrifice the firepower?
    Kai Shin Craftworld (Biel Tan / Ulthwe) 5000 pts
    Emperor's Children 2000 pts
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast