Gue'vesa - Fear the speedbump? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Gue'vesa - Fear the speedbump?

I've been checking out the rules for Gue'vesa (human helpers) on chapter approved, and I have to say, they look pretty neat to me. Yeah.. they're guardsmen squads without heavy weapons and with a negative special rule which kicks against IG, but I think I have a plan.

A squad of 6 Gue'vesa with lasguns costs 36 points.. 46 if you add a team leader for extra leadership. A more survivable and useful squad of 10 still costs only 60-70 points. Noone's going to want to shoot at them or assault them, but sticking them in front of fire warriors forces enemies to make a leadership roll. Eventually, someone's going to fail the roll and have to waste a turn shooting at the humies.

Then there is assault.. Most IG players don't bother with assault much, and if they do, they use units which have boosted weapon skills. This means that the Gue'vesa's special disadvantage doesn't actually come into play much. Meanwhile, they can happily countercharge or block enemy assault units, hopefully giving the fire warriors another turn to retreat and avoid a consolidation hop.

So.. am I thinking right? Also.. how do other players react to the use of Gue'vesa? (Important because you need your opponents permission to field them.) In many ways, this tactic almost seems a bit cheesy.. but I'd like some opinions nonetheless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

I think most of the time, people prefer kroot. They are still relatively cheap and are better at shooting, cc and have all the kroot goodies. Maybe though, this is exactly why you shouldn't take them for this purpose. Kroot can be killed fast because people actually consider them a threat, so the Gue'vesa may be better for this. If you can't take kroot for some reason, they can also be a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior47 View Post
    Maybe though, this is exactly why you shouldn't take them for this purpose. Kroot can be killed fast because people actually consider them a threat, so the Gue'vesa may be better for this.
    Good call..

Also.. kroot have to be in squads of 10. Gue'vesa can go down to 6. 36 points for a squad is.. intriguing, because it's a complete waste of time to shoot.

I also think they'd look a lot more thematic than the kroot, since they are wearing armour and can thus be painted in sept colours.. Much as I love the angry bird people (I have a small kroot merc army somewhere) I do think they fit poorly with the Tau visual theme.

EDIT: I know I'm posting points values, but they're available off the GW website anyway, so I hope I'm not breaking rules.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; December 12th, 2006 at 14:56.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think so... I think the rules are more like - dont post the cost for individuals... i.e. Saying One Imperial Guardsman costs X, a Vox costs X... or a Crisis Suits costs X, Plasma Rifle is X and so on...

Obviously though, it doesnt take a mathematical genious to scribble down a few posted army lists and find out how much each bit costs... I dont think you are doing anything naughty!

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mystweaver View Post
    I dont think so... I think the rules are more like - dont post the cost for individuals... i.e. Saying One Imperial Guardsman costs X, a Vox costs X... or a Crisis Suits costs X, Plasma Rifle is X and so on...

Obviously though, it doesnt take a mathematical genious to scribble down a few posted army lists and find out how much each bit costs... I dont think you are doing anything naughty!
    Primary reason not use Gue'vesa? It takes at least two seperate squad boxes to make them.

I think they're really there for the fluff nuts. Yeah, Kroot are going to cost more, but they're much more durable, both in CC, and from shooting when in forest cover.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Prometheus View Post
    Primary reason not use Gue'vesa? It takes at least two seperate squad boxes to make them.
    I was going to use plastic Cadians with filed off iconography.

I still think 6 man Gue'vesa squads will make better speed bumps that 10 man kroot squads. They're simply less worthwhile as targets. It's not about actually doing anything important so much as forcing those leadership rolls and tying up CC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in Your example I wouldn't use Human Auxiliaries, I would just use a squad of 6 Firewarriors wich You could equip with Photon Grenades if You felt the need.
    They would cost 60p. (66 p. with Photon Grenades), but are more durable, have better LD and a better damage-output.

Should You have an Ethereal, they do this task even better, as You have influence on when the squad will brake in CC and if You want it to, it can stand much longer (pretty much until they're almost dead).

Even the humies can roll snake eyes, but with Tau, You could reroll them at least.

I can't see any sense in taking Gue'Vesa, except for filling the compulsory force org slot or for delivering really cheap EMP Grenades, which they are horrible at.
    Which is a shame, as I like the idea pretty much.

Gun Drones which came with vehicles do fill in with that concept pretty well too.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like I said, I think they're there mostly for the fluff nuts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

450 (x8)

I hear you guys, but I still think I'm going to try using a couple of squads and see how it goes. The trouble with 6 fire warriors is that they're almost twice the points.. Meaning for the price of one fire team you could get two gue'vesa squads. In that scenario, the Gue'vesa would be far more resiliant due to having twice as many wounds. Besides, having small Tau squads makes it harder to use things like markerlights.

As I said, the purpose is not to do anything useful.. But fire warriors are still more fragile than marines and more expensive than guardsmen. If a Gue'vesa unit soaks some damage or buys a turn for the fire warriors to avoid CC, then they've probably made up their points.

Junior Member lewis@calmabode.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think gue'vesa are pretty damn good for their points especially with that tieing up your enemy in close combat 'cause i always get the urge to send in my fire warrior squads to do that but with pulse carbines my urge is solved

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast