fire dragons + falcon - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fire dragons + falcon

Although I am a total noob to eldar it seems like to me that putting fire dragons in a falcon seems to be a popular anti tank option. What I am wondering is if anyone else has qualms with putting a squad in an expensive tank that can be armed well enough to destroy a tank and then jetting the tank up exposing it to fire in order to drop off the a-t squad?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go for it. It's one of the best things Eldar can give you. 6 Dragons in an unkillable Falcon.

You use it well, it's so worth the points, eating up everything from heavy infantry to land raider crusaders (i love the look on the marine player's face when i blow his land raider up, and that happens A LOT)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definatly know someone whos against doing it, and I'm kind of coming round to the view that they are a waste in a falcon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly I don't see why not. They HAVE to go in transports so if you're doing it with a Wave Serpent with max Dragons, that would be overkill; plus Serpents are nowhere as survivable as Falcons.

On foot they wouldn't have a chance. Unless in cityfights, but still.

Of course that's just my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

It is an old and acknowledged tactic, well used by many Edlar players

First point is that the general caveat of all Eldar armies appliest, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, this tactic will work better with some armies than others (notably it works at its best if it occurs at the same time as assualt troops hit the opposition)

I myself gave up on the tactic about 4 years ago, now I should point out that both my main Eldar armies (Siam Hann and Ulthwe) are shooting based, as is my new army, but my reasons for ditching the tactic are as follows:

What happens is you zoom up, to avoid getting team rollered you tend to have to pick your spot, so the falcon in the majority of cases, has moved more than 12 inches and can not fire - you lost a turn of shooting from the falcon, you leap out and shoot, killing a tank or about 3-4 MEQs. End of turn.

So on the plus side you can be pretty certain of a tank, or about a third of a marine squad, or better yet some dead obliterators or terminators

On the minus side, you have lost a turns shooting from the falcon, which would have killed a tank, about a third of a marine squad, or better yet some dead obliterators or terminators
    (sound familiar) Your dragons will now get shot up and charged and generally wasted, if you are lucky you may take down about 3-4 MEQs and delay his assault elements a turn, if you are unlucky you get wiped out and catapult his assault elements forwards by about 9 inches overall, your falcon is sitting in easy range not only of all the weapons that could have fired at it anyway, but also plasma, melta, grenade launcher etc guns and dont even start me on necrons weaponry, for a tank whose resilance is based on chance, increasing the number of potentialyl damaging shots , this is daft.

So for the cost of 6 dragons (at least 96 points even if you dont take the exarch) you have achieved no more than you would have anyway and put your tank at more risk

BUT

As I said, there are other considerations - this will have drawn attention from your other untis (mostly from shorter ranged weaponry and assault troops) this can be helpfull if you have other units getting up close, however in the majority of cases, such units would be spending the turn in transports so it really only lessens the impact on vehicles

Frankly on the whole it makes no sense in my armies to do this, I would accept it may in some, but I am dubious, I think the whole stratergy is over used and inefficient in the majority of cases
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do think however there is a viable case for using ten of them in a waveserpent to hunt termies, oblits, pariahs, ect. As long as they are backed up by some sort of assault troop, or they are big enough to finish the job themselves I think they perform well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

I usually just grab 6 and throw them in a wave serpent. Why waste more points on the other 4? It gives anouther destraction as the rest of my army comes in.

+ Reply to Thread