Using Eldar in with Tau doubles tournaments - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using Eldar in with Tau doubles tournaments

Just wondering, how do you guys gop about trimming an Eldar force to take place in a doubles tournament? I've always found that to be a problem with Eldar (500 points-or even 1000- is simply NOT ENOUGH!) but with all the gribbly new options the new 'dex apparently gives us it seems to be even harder now. My doubles partner plays Tau and the general idea is that he provides a firebase while I take care of the assault end of the game. How would you suggest I make this work?

EDIT: Whoops! Sorry about the thread title, hit the wrong key without noticing

Last edited by Black Librarian; December 19th, 2006 at 13:04.
    "You're very interesting, and very perceptive. So interesting, and so perceptive, in fact, that we shall now fight with KNIVES!"
    -Moltar

"I've been dead long before you were born, and I'll be dead long before you'll be dead!"
    -Space Ghost

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, tau gunlines can be pretty static, but get mauled if anything catches them.

I think some harlequins might compliment the tau quite well as counterattack squads.

And a wraithlord might not be a bad idea to add even more firepower while dealing with anything really nasty that gets close (daemon princes always find a way..).

Also, is there any really shooty BS 3 tau unit with multiple shot weapons that would seriously benefit from having guide cast on it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

To be honest if you have 500 points each I would tie the two together in one role rather than taking two different ones, 500 points is not sufficient to do both roles well, much rather use Eldar ranged support, possibly with a foot based DA cusion to stop incoming assault elements

500 points and to a degree 1000 points is only too few points for Edlar if you are trying to do Beil Tann style aspect warrior death or even worse a mechanised version of it, try doing Siam Hann style or Alaitoc and you will have much more success

with Tau, I would load out on walkers, as I say a DA squad, if you are not playing comat patrol then a cheap HQ and a second (cheap) troop choice
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

I'd pickup an Avatar and a waithlord or two to hold back assault. The rest of my points I'd work on the fire base. Maybe some reapers? maybe some war walkers? Vipers.... These are my favourite things!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I agree with the war walkers... for 180 points, you get 24 scatter laser shots that match Tau sniper fire and outrange their fire warriors by 6"

In fact, if you just go scatter laser crazy, with DA's you could quite easily just sit there blatting away and annihilate whatever your opponent sends your way. With the amount of shots a static Tau army can put out alongside eldar, it has a potential to be utterly devastating.

Maybe something like:

Eldar
    Farseer w/ Guide, Mind War: 95

5 Dire Avengers: 60
    5 Dire Avengers: 60

3 Dark Reapers: 105

3 War Walkers w/ 2 Scatter lasers ea.: 180

Total: 500

Tau
    Shas'el w/ Missile pod, Plasma Rifle, Targetting Array, Hard Wired Multitracker: 97

12 Firewarriors: 120
    12 Firewarriors: 120

10 Kroot: 70

1 Broadside - Team Leader w/ Advanced Stabilization & Multitracker: 90

Total: 497

If you play your cards right you can set up an awesome defensive line. Reapers at the back or perhaps the middle of the formation, war walkers nearby. Broadside further behind. They light up everything that is in range on the first turn. Stick a guide on one of them (better the war walkers due to the bs & amount of shots).

Stick your dire avengers in front, or if your ally has kroot then perhaps just behind them. Have the firewarriors behind the DA's. This way, should your opponent start getting in close for the assault, the kroot can take a step back and still rapid fire as can the firewarriors.

If it looks like you are going to be assaulted, ensure the Dire Avengers are the once to receive it. Their higher initiative should pay off here. Then on your turn, counter assault with the kroot and leave the firewarriors out of it (or they WILL die).

By the time any assaults get in, they should already be decimated anyway.

As for tanks and heavy armour... well I am kind of hoping that your Tau friend will take something with Railguns on it (its probably best he takes a broadside, perhaps two rather than a hammerhead in this sort of game).

Should anything big and nasty come close, your farseer is there anyway to Mind War it.

Hope this helps... just my $0.02
    Last edited by Mystweaver; December 19th, 2006 at 14:10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

go mobile or counter-assault

I'd either take some fast units to harass and slow down the enemy before they get to the Tau gun-lines or I'd go counter assault like Greymonk said.

For 500 points I'd take

maxed striking scorpion squad
    maxed dire avenger squad
    guardian jetbikes
    extras on guardians...either ones depending on how you want to go

The Avatar and scorpions provide the counterstrike, your dire avengers receive the charge or go offensive and tie up the advance. jetbikes fill your second troop requirement and get you some anti-vehicle and compulsive movement bait.

Good luck
    Have fun,

Frank

"Orcs are what happens when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles grow old and bitter."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Mystweaver is perfect in his views. Dark reapers and war walkers would be very useful in the list

Stay static, don't have 1 army assault and 1 shooty. In a 1000 point list would you have an effective list with 500 points doing completely isolated and different things things?
    New Eldar W/D/L
    2/0/0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least a unit of at least 6 Scorps or Banshees- Maybe both, if you're entirely HTH. Together, they can take on anything in close combat. DAs should be second, great at close shooting and tieing up units. Vypers are amazing, as they can hit the enemy where it hurts, and with Tau shooting up their big guns you can probably zoom around and have a decent chance of surviving- a poor man's skimmer. War walkers are horrible in assault, and you need things to keep them out of it against infiltrators or deep strikers.

The scorps might win out due to their better save, since even if you can't win the fight, tieing the other unit up might be enough. 8 should last a while. Some DAs and maybe some banshees for those pesky armour saves, and you can have an effective close combat force!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ForsakenSwaz View Post
    At least a unit of at least 6 Scorps or Banshees- Maybe both, if you're entirely HTH. Together, they can take on anything in close combat. DAs should be second, great at close shooting and tieing up units. Vypers are amazing, as they can hit the enemy where it hurts, and with Tau shooting up their big guns you can probably zoom around and have a decent chance of surviving- a poor man's skimmer. War walkers are horrible in assault, and you need things to keep them out of it against infiltrators or deep strikers.

The scorps might win out due to their better save, since even if you can't win the fight, tieing the other unit up might be enough. 8 should last a while. Some DAs and maybe some banshees for those pesky armour saves, and you can have an effective close combat force!
    I agree that some Scorpions or Banshees would come in useful in the overall list as there is little my proposed idea can to do stop an assault (with the exception of keeping enough space between assaults so the opponents cannot consolidate into another squad; therefore allowing you to wipe the floor with all your shots).

Either of these squads could prove to be a good counter assault squad. If I were to take Scorpions, I would stick them at the front and make sure they are fortuned to keep them alive. It would make an effective deterant. I certainly would not make them assault. Let the enemy come to you (if in fact that is his plan at all!).

I still strongly recommend a strong and static firebase for this army. Tau and Eldar can would hideously well together. If there were more points for each army, my tune would change and I would suggest using the Eldar as assault force and Tau as sit back and shoot... but that is not the case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you dont need SS or B-Girl's, if you happen to hit cc thats why the dire avengers are there =D, free meat, take hits and could possibly take a bullet for the team untill the kroot (which is deployed behind the DA) counter assault. basically your strategy is acording to mystweaver is just have everything shoot and have the DA's and Kroot hold the line until everything is shot to oblivion =D

Good Day

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast