what tactics do you use? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what tactics do you use?

ive always been of the opinion that there is only one real tactic that might work with orks, that is lots of boyz and some big tough things to draw fire. Does anyone have any other tactics that they use? what works the best?

Total 40k: >5000pts
    total WFB: ~2000pts
    I also enjoy good music, fine food, late night strolls on the beach and dancing in moonkin form :)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Junior Member Red Jack Malicious's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried using lots of boys, and that just got me repeatedly slaughtered. I own two-hundred boys, but I currently use fewer boys and devote more points to either weaponry or defensives. Kustom Force Fields have saved me from imperial armies more times than I can count. An overview of my experiences:

(Always take 'Eavy Armour, it will serve you well.)
    (To "stay shooty", take Kustom Jobs for the weapons on your Orks and maximize the number of Big Shootas and Rokkit Launchas. Utilize your Bikers as artillery instead of assault troopers.)

Orks v Necrons: Use Force Fields and take them down in close combat. Avoid C'Tan and focus on taking down Necrons, if you can force a phase-out, do so.

Orks v Space Marines: Use force fields and the Waagh! as much as possible. If a looted vehicle is available, use a Basilisk; if not, stay shooty and use their own tactics against them. They're near-fearless, so draw them in and overwhelme them with the Waagh! If possible, use cover to hide your Mega-Armoured boys and assault the Marines with them.

Orks v Chaos: Focus on taking down Berserkers and Greater Daemons (I've only fought Khorne and Nurgle). Taking down troops shouldn't prove too much of a hassle. Moderate numbers may be necessary. Masses unnecesary.

Orks v Imperial Guard: Use Force Fields and take them down in close combat.

Orks v Tau: Use Force Fields and Cover. Goad them into close combat and take them down. Moderate forces can fight unreinforced Tau. Masses may be needed for Kroot.

Orks v Tyranids: Use masses and stay as shooty as possible. You have to get them before they can reach you.
    I shall use all of my armies to their fullest power.
    My Angels are a sword to cut my own path.
    My Orks are a hammer to crush my enemies.
    Fear me, for I shall rule this Galaxy by my own Hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeh.. just after starting this thread I realised that it was a bit stupid so i just left it. Thanks for the advise on tactics though, im just about to upgrade my army amd make it a mix of the dread bash and swamp 'em, if that don't work then it will be speed freeks. If that fails I will give up on orks. at least till the new codex comes out.
    I also enjoy good music, fine food, late night strolls on the beach and dancing in moonkin form :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Well my current tactic is a sort of swamp 'em meets defensive line and a mass of distraction. A pair of trukks draws fire away from the boyz like there is no tommorow and my looted Russ is the bane of all marines, and since i usually position it fairly far back many are forced to decide whether it is better to "waste" shots at the Russ or try to shoot apart the 80 orks with the 5+ invulnerable save(mix of grot saves and KFF) stomping towards them. So far I have consistantly beaten my marine playing friend about the head and shoulders with this tactic. He has altered his list recently though and I'll have to see how it works out against him. Unfortunatly none of my other regular opponents have more than about 750-1000 points yet, so for the most part I use my more flexible Space Wolves against them.
    Gargrimz Green Deff
    W:10 D:4 L:5

Junior Member Red Jack Malicious's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I played the Blood Angels before the Orks. Every tournament and campaign I participated in, I stomped the poor Ork players! Every time, I noticed that they attempted the 'tried and true' methods and they failed. That's why I thought up my own strategies: I had enough experience with taking down boyz to know how to keep them alive!

If I hadn't played the Marines first, I'd probably have been pretty disheartened during my first several battles (Which I lost miserably) using Orks.
    I shall use all of my armies to their fullest power.
    My Angels are a sword to cut my own path.
    My Orks are a hammer to crush my enemies.
    Fear me, for I shall rule this Galaxy by my own Hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im planning to make a army which roughly contains four squads of twenty boyz, one being shoota boyz, three being slugga boyz. some kans and some warbuggies to draw fire and to bring more rokkit launchas on the field. and a warboss and nobz in a wartrukk which should be a pleasant distraction for my opponant
    sound good? I might upgrade them again soon with a liberal amount of gretchin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm into my 8th game now. Didn't fair too well my first three(I went 1 and 2). Switched over to blood axes and took two Kommando squads. I take'em bare bones and place them in cover with two rokkit's, Nob w/ammo runt i.e. twin linked. That is 4 heavy weapons up close. It draws tons of fire the first two turns. Third turn is when I drive my trukk boy's up. They get shot to pieces....so what. Now I've gone 18" And I am in charge range. 3 groups of 20 boyz are now in the mix. It has worked 3 out of 4 games(tau, eldar, guard). 1 game I did not get to infiltrate(Smurfs)). Still looking to add a looted vehicle but I can't decide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kos!!!

My friends,

While I applaud these various attempts to "footslog" the Orks into a viable position, I would like to emphatically maintain that there is a reason the Speed Freeks came into being. Let's run this down:

Orks CANNOT shoot. Despite the blessings of Zzap Gunz and Looted Basilisks, Orks as shootas are a last-ditch effort to say the least. If we assume that we cannot shoot, but everyone else can we need to turn each combat into assault as soon as possible (and unless they are 'Nids, that is very unlikely)!

With Wartrukks getting such an incredible move rate, I can be in assault with anyone else's army by round two. Granted, Armor 10 trukks are perilous targets, but easily 8 out of 10 trukkboyz seem to make it out alive from every penetrating hit.

Meat shields, Kan Walls and such only stave off the inevitable: move 6" at a time for 4-5 rounds and PRAY we don't get wiped out entirely by missile fire before the first choppa is brought down. There is a better way!

Rev your engines! Get out the red paint! Meet them on their side of the table and watch them scrample for safety (preferrably off the edge of the table)!

-Da Kauboi
    SM Player to the SM Player facing my Orks: "Who, in their right mind, moves towards Orks, Hunh?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboi View Post
    My friends,

While I applaud these various attempts to "footslog" the Orks into a viable position, I would like to emphatically maintain that there is a reason the Speed Freeks came into being. Let's run this down:

Orks CANNOT shoot. Despite the blessings of Zzap Gunz and Looted Basilisks, Orks as shootas are a last-ditch effort to say the least. If we assume that we cannot shoot, but everyone else can we need to turn each combat into assault as soon as possible (and unless they are 'Nids, that is very unlikely)!

With Wartrukks getting such an incredible move rate, I can be in assault with anyone else's army by round two. Granted, Armor 10 trukks are perilous targets, but easily 8 out of 10 trukkboyz seem to make it out alive from every penetrating hit.

Meat shields, Kan Walls and such only stave off the inevitable: move 6" at a time for 4-5 rounds and PRAY we don't get wiped out entirely by missile fire before the first choppa is brought down. There is a better way!

Rev your engines! Get out the red paint! Meet them on their side of the table and watch them scrample for safety (preferrably off the edge of the table)!

-Da Kauboi

Orks CAN shoot...better than a lot of armies...

My tactics? Dakka Dakka!!!!! WAAAGH!!!!!

-The God of all Machines
    W/D/L
    -Imperial:50/2/10
    -Non-Imperial:10/1/4

Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    206 (x6)

Easy there Ommissiah, you're bordering on Spam. =)

~Yoss
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast