Star engines.. can they be used if.. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Star engines.. can they be used if..

Now star engines are used in the shooting phase in lieu of shotting any weapons to get you across the battle field faster. Now then if you have say a wave serpent that has gotten a crew shaken result... can it still use it's star engines?

If you have a spirit stone on the serpent, and have moved over 6", then you have a 50/50 chance of getting a crew shaken, so it would be nice if you can still use your engines to try and move around the battle field. Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arameas View Post
    Now star engines are used in the shooting phase in lieu of shotting any weapons to get you across the battle field faster. Now then if you have say a wave serpent that has gotten a crew shaken result... can it still use it's star engines?

If you have a spirit stone on the serpent, and have moved over 6", then you have a 50/50 chance of getting a crew shaken, so it would be nice if you can still use your engines to try and move around the battle field. Thoughts?
    Thats a very good question. typically when i play if a rule says you do something instead of shooting, i play you can't do that thing unless you can shoot, so i'd tend to say you couldn't use them if your vehicle couldn't shoot. Now if it said "in the shooting phase" instead of "in lieu of shooting" i'd say you could use them.

On the other hand it does seem kinda odd it can move 24 inches if its shaken, but can't move the extra distance in the shooting phase:hmm: :unsure:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you think about it from thier point of view, they aren't actually moving 12", stopping then moving another 12". It is instead a breakneak speed boost of 24".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Fluffwise it doesn't really make sense.

Rulewise I'd have to go and find my eldar codex (not now).

And why would you be using star engines to go 24"? you only slow down to 12" to shoot. If you don't shoot its 36" movement all the way.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was talking about moving 24 inches in the movement phase but then you couldn't move the extra 12 inches in the shooting phase (because of star engines) if the vehicle was crew shaken, thats how i meant it was wierd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

oh, I think I get you now.

So if you move 24" in the movement phase does that mean you can't use star engines as you moved to fast so therefore you can't shoot/star engine. Obviously thats not GW's intention. I'd say the same logic applies to shaken. Therefore you can star engine while shaken.

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was talking about the crew shaken result, it says you can't shoot, and star engines are used instead of shooting, at least thats how i interpret it. But on the other hand if you interpret it my way it would be wierd that in the movement phase they could move up to 24' if the vehice was crew shaken, but you could then not move an extra 12' in the shooting phase cuz star engines are used instead of shooting.... hope that makes more sense.....

RAW says one thing but RAW seems to go against common sense in this one....who ever would have thought that could happen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

228 (x8)

ok so I can see you argument. Now heres mine. It doesn't use shaken but instead how far the vehicle moved to restrict shooting.

If a fast vehicle moves 24" in its movement phase it can't shoot. So if it goes 24" does that mean it can't then activate its star engines to go 36"? as technically you can't shoot.

If you argue RAW on this point then technically star engines can never be used as no matter what you do you are restricted to 24".

Star engines are meant to move you up to 36".
    Last edited by LordLink; December 27th, 2006 at 11:17.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you make a good point on the moving 24' and not being able to shoot, i never thought of that. Technically by raw you can't do it. if you weren't using raw (which i don't use because i've learned over the past few weeks its ridiculous to even try to use it) then i'd say you can move 24' and still use star engines, cuz that makes sense of course. If you couldn't do that what would be the reason to even have star engines?

A friend of mine pointed out to me a reason y they wouldn't be able to use star engines if they were crew shaken. If they're so shaken they can't push the button to shoot, how could they push the button to engage the star engines?

+ Reply to Thread