New Army Time - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Army Time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Army Time

New Year and New Army time for me. I keep looking at armies, and have narrowed things to 3 different armies that I am considering. IG, 'Nids, and Necrons. As I keep looking things over I keeping coming back to the Necrons and I think I have finally made the decision. The reason I keep coming back to the 'Cron dex is that I see alot of different lists in the codex for me to play with. The Guard and Nids, while interesting in their own right, just don't appeal on the same level as the Necrons do.

I come to the Necrons with a SM background, specifically I am a Deathwing player. Pretty exclusively. What appeals most to me in the Necron list is the combination of mobility and toughness inherent in the list (much the same as my DW in alot of ways) along with the numbers my DW lack. Altogether I am looking forward to this.

Now on to the questions. My primary focus right now is building towards a 1500 point tournament list for the end of Feburary. My internal debate is whether to build this first list towards a two-towers twin monolith style list, or run a destroyer heavy list.

I am looking for advice, pro-and-con on both types of list, but particularly the two-towers list. The destroyer list seems really cool but the upfront expense is a little overwhelming. That being said if I can get a good deal on ebay or something I may go that route first.

List wise, I am looking at something list this
    Two-Towers
    Lord
    -Res Orb
    -Vod

10x Necrons
    10x Necrons
    10x Necrons
    10x Necrons

Monolith
    Monolith
    1380 Points

The remaining points to fill out Necron Squads possibly crunch the numbers to get a squad of 3 destroyers in there.

Thoughts?

EH

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A two tower list, while looking strong on paper is going to fall quit quickly to a experenced player who will just ignore your monoliths and force you to phase out. Yes you can use your monolith to help those failed WBB, but then you can not shoot the big guns that round either.

But, if you drop the monoliths in his DZ he might panic and give you the time that need to win the game.

Hope this helps some.

Eldar (test phase)
    W / L / D
    0 2 0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree with this. The twin monolith army can be extremely effective even against experienced players if used properly. I currently am running a two monolith list and it is hard to take down, if your opponents ignore the monoliths (as it is wise too) then you can wreak havoc with them and use them to support the rest of your army.

An army like this has amazing mobility. My list is more along the lines of two sizeable squads of warriors (between 13 & 15) , a full squad of wraiths, destroyers or immortals and a destroyer Lord. The idea of such a list is not to give your opponent a chance to strike, with deepstriking monoliths and the speed of the wraiths you chose where to hit and annihlate that point of the enemies army.

In my opinion i have found this kind of list to be better then D-heavy lists because it can destroy shooty armies in close combat and can lay down a fair amount of firepower, or it can fight close combat armies easily out shoot them and stand a good chance in combat. It also, despite having two monoliths has a respectable phase-out point, higher then lots of D-heavy lists and so even if they ignore your monoliths a combination of teleporting them through the monoliths and good tactics means that you will nearly never phase out.

Regards,

Gazboy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

Yeah. Monoliths are very hard to ignore. Especially with the 2nd chance WBB.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like the two tower list? but i recommend doing what i did and go for three when you get you army a little bigger m'kay.

Cheers

Vader1:ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monoliths

I dont think a pro necron player would use a monolith and this is why: if you think about it really hard then you'll realise what ive realised throughtout my time watching my frends with they're 2000 point armys none of them have had a monolith they have:
    A. the worst necron guns
    B.they cost 235 Pts
    C.BS 4?!?!??!

Think about it is it:
    A. a waste of 235 for 6 of the worst necron guns?
    or B. thats awsome for 235 Pts......
    armour doesnt intrest me because lots of thing can penatrate a monolith for example:
    Power Weapons
    Rail Guns
    Terminators

And tuns of others....

this all adds up to
    -------------------
    monoliths SUCK!

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Short answer: depending on the level of competion Necrons either do as well as any other army or they lose...badly (this is due to the necron's inability to min max).

As for the list, while it is good on paper you are going to be lacking serious long range firepower.

I would at least put 3 destroyers in it (to get the points lose the VoD, its not worth it with warriors.

The destroyer army of doom is one of the necron's more effective lists, it eliminates a lot of necron weaknesses (lack of speed, lack of long range fire and it gives decent AP), however it just as vulnerable to phasing the twin monolith force.

Just a quick destroyer of doom list (I feel like being comprehensive )

Lord - res orb

11 warriors

12 warriors

5 destroyers
    5 destroyers
    5 destroyers

1 Heavy D
    1 Heavy D
    1 Heavy D

Total 1499

There is nothing much that can worry that list.

I dont think a pro necron player would use a monolith and this is why: if you think about it really hard then you'll realise what ive realised throughtout my time watching my frends with they're 2000 point armys none of them have had a monolith they have:
    A. the worst necron guns
    B.they cost 235 Pts
    C.BS 4?!?!??!
    Seriously, the monolith is easily one of the best necron units available (probably behind destroyers and immortals).

The monolith's guns aren't the point of it.

Also it adds the only power armour beating weapon in the list minus the rarely used heavy destroyers.

A well used monolith is obscene, it can ruin anyone's day. Being able to leave combat with (for example) stealers and them repid fire them to death is worth far more than 235 points alone.

armour doesnt intrest me because lots of thing can penatrate a monolith for example:
    Power Weapons
    Rail Guns
    Terminators
    Power weapons? when was the last time you saw a S8 power weapon model??? (P.S the fact that it is a power weapon means nothing, it doesn't add anything ot the attack)

Railguns, well what do you think they do? everyone has problems with tanks vs tau.

Terminators would have to get close first (even with deep strike it'll be a job) and then they are hitting on 6's to powerfist it (regardless whether the lith is affect by powerfists or not).

I think you need to understand how the monolith works a bit more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, circumstances have rather dictated my first Necron list. It seems I got a pretty good deal on ebay last week that included 15 destroyers. So, its the destroyer list of doom to start with rather than the two-towers, though it will be coming along shortly.

About the destroyer list, how many heavy destroyers do you find effective, if toyed with the numbers and had anywhere from 3-6 in a list at a given time. I'm leaning towards 3 squads of singles, but I worry its not quite enough.

EH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Homer View Post
    About the destroyer list, how many heavy destroyers do you find effective, if toyed with the numbers and had anywhere from 3-6 in a list at a given time. I'm leaning towards 3 squads of singles, but I worry its not quite enough.
    You'll find quite a few of us believe that is ideal. hDestroyers are a one trick pony of sorts and a marginally expensive, yet necessary, part of the Necron army. Their movement is what makes them a fair unit and the fact that their are Necrons makes them better.

So, to keep cost down, you will only field a few. By fielding three single unit squads, you can select three different targets to shoot at or pile on to one unit. Additionally, your enemy has to fire on 3 seperate squads to take the group down in one swoop and if they don't, you get your WBB roll(as long as you follow the next point). You get your WBB roll by simply jetting them around the battlefield within proximity to receive WBB rolls.

This tactic is crucial, in my opinion, to fielding hDestroyers properly. Not all Necron players get it, so good on you. If you have points, you can beef them up to 2 or 3 strong, but that would have to be a very large army. If you have the points, spend them, instead, on more Warriors and get your PO number up.
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

+ Reply to Thread