D-Cannon: Worth It? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D-Cannon: Worth It?

They seem nice, but when compared to the Fire Prism or a well-placed Bright Lance...is the D-Cannon something for 2000+ games only?

...Leave 'Em Dead or Dyin'...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

It depends on your army's theme (shooty ar assaulty), your opponent's army and the mission.
    If you like the shooty strategy and you usually play Seek & Destroy missions, 3 D-Cannons are a pain for any assaulting enemy. Their short range is well balanced by their terrific killing power. If you play a Farseer with Guide (it works on scatter rolls) you'll have great chances of annihilating anything within range.
    D-Cannons don't fit well in assault\mobility oriented lists, as they'll be left behind doing nothing. I tend to play a shooty army with a couple of quick counterattack units,that can also work to engage enemy havocs and such.

If you haven't tried D-Cannons yet, ask a friend to let you proxy them in a game. Place them under cover, in a zone where your opponent will be forced to walk through (to get to your lines,or to an objective etc) and they'll always make up for their cost, especially if you have a Farseer with Guide. Otherwise, you'll rely a lot on the scatter dice, which is something I prefer to avoid >_> I've played D-Cannons twice and they scored 800+400pts in 1500pts games, opponents beeing Space Wolves and World Eaters.
    If you usually play against shooty armies, I don't know how they'd work, even though if you manage to find some cover in the centre of the table, your opponent will be in a world of pain.

Try proxying D-Cannons a couple of times, I definitely like them.
    Last edited by g3n3s1s; January 9th, 2007 at 18:16.

Actually Playing:
    40k : Necron ,Chaos, Space Orks ,Eldar ,Dark Angels, 'Nyds
    WHFB : Orks & Gobbos, Vampire Counts

G3n3s1s is located at:
    44°30′N 11°21′E

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sure...in certain situations

I have a complete battery and they are great about keeping folks away from a static fire base or for punishing objectives.

I have also used them successfully in city-fight.

Overall, with the upgrade to fireprisms they are less attractive, but if you end up with a 'spare' fifty points or need a good curtain of fire to keep CC folks out of your lines...or you want to hunt monoliths or know you can deploy them to cover an objective they are great. I rarely take a full battery, but I have...and they've worked more often then not (if only for the oddity factor). Str 10 and insta-kill is nothing to sneeze at. I wanted 48" range and a point increase, but GW in its infinite wisdom thought a nerf was a better deal .

good luck and cheer!
    Have fun,

Frank

"Orcs are what happens when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles grow old and bitter."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

In 2000pts you will probably find that an opponent will have something to knock the crew members out quite effectively, like fast assault troopers, barrage weapons etc. However this is easily countered by your own army compositioning and your ability with monouvering and deploying so I wouldn't worry too much about them dying to these weapons.

Overall they are cheaper than a Fire Prism and I would recommend a full squad or at least a pair if you intend to use them in 2000pts, although I wouldn't employ more than a single unit as they are quite immobile. The reason I would gladly give the go ahead to use these is because their presence is quite intimidating to an opponent, being heavy support they can be deployed first and I can garentee you they will have an effect on where your opponent decides to deploy the rest of his army. During the game the weapons make an effective 24" radius area where the opponent will always be weary of when deciding to monouver his troops. In his mind it could well be a "no go zone" and you effectively keep an army away from areas of the feild in which you do not want them coming.

Regular uses pretty much apply to these larger battles as they do in smaller ones. No need for line of sight, and they can be used to cover mission objectives from the opponent, not to mention offer some relatively safe ground for your army to return to if Sh*t hits the pan. An example of this was when I myself emplyed a D-cannon against a beil-tan force, because they were pretty much all on foot my opponent did not advance his scorpions or warp spiders near my corner of the board in fear of being caught by the blast, in this i was able of offer safe ground for my gaurdians to defend and come back to when his spect warriors gained the advantage.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm...yep I agree

Yeah, in high point games your opponent will likely have something to get to them,

not that should discourage you, but the things D-guns excel at are:

1. Pounding the CRAP out of places you know your opponent has to go *((ie LOC (lines of communication...transit routes for you civilians) and objectives))

2. Making a Picket's charge out of CC buttheads coming towards your lines

3. Cityfight

4. You have a spare 50-150 points (though I like to add a warlock with a spear and embolden)

other then that other options work better. People like to go 'all frills' in 2K fights. Go BULK and outnumber an opponent for a change (its fun).

good luck and have fun!
    Have fun,

Frank

"Orcs are what happens when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles grow old and bitter."

+ Reply to Thread