Newbi : Markerlight - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    201 (x4)

Newbi : Markerlight

Hi, i'm currently assembling my Fire Warriors and i'm still confused about what part of the sprue is the markerlight. After thinking it through, i limited the possibilities to 2 bits, which are :

1 - the hand holding some kind of circular pièce that look like this : (o)
    2 - the hand holding what seems to be an auspex.

I always thought the marker light would be some kind of lasgun used to point out a target like those used by current modern army to guide missiles. There are no such kind of pièces on the sprue.

What are your thought about it ?

Another question : Is there a tactica about markerlight. LO is acting kind of strange recently and search doesn't give me any results in any way.

MindRaked
    CHAOS Undiv.: won 14/22 games EC: 4/7 WE: 6/9 DG: 10/15, TS: 3/7 Orks : 13/20 SM NL : 1/6 TAU: 14 of 24 IG: 3/7

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are similiar to, if not exactly like, the weapons the pathfinders have.

I don't believe a markerlight comes in a FW sprue, I could be wrong, I'm not at home right now to check.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The markerlight is a little tube running parrellel to some weapons, the old stealth Shas'ui's had 'em. On the pathfinders they're on the pulse carbines, making them look slightly different than the plastic carbines that come with FW. The part that pathfinder carbines have, but FW carbines don't, that's the markerlight.

It's basically just a tube, maybe with a cord coming off the back end, just like a modern laser sight.

For modelling it on FW? Sure, use the tricorder thing. The tricorder thing doesn't represent anything, specifically.

THe one holding a (o)? that's a photon grenade. They're disc shaped, usually stacked in those belt cartridges.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

Almost every army regiment box has a piece of those 'unidentified object', GW made them to allow us to represent whatever it is from the codex, that's not included in any model sprue.

The Auspex-thingy they are holding could very well be the Markerlight, since Blacksun Filter, Target Lock, Multi-trackers are all hardwired onto the helmet. The Markerlight tube is only issued to the Pathfinders as they have different helmets, and probably interface which is directly hooked onto the Markerlight itself.
    Anima Tactics - try it out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

201 (x4)

Cool, Thank you all for the information. I've used lasgun barels |_____/ part to represent the markerlight and I fixed it on top of my Squad Leader (shas'ui ?) pulse riffle. It should do the trick since the lasgun is often called flashlight. I'll just have to implement a device to reduce the power of the lasgun laser and to make it continuous ... Hmmm... Anyway, thank you !

Can a squad of drone use a maker light counter on a unit. Example :

I score a markerlight counter on a tank with a squad of FW, and I have deepstriked a Gun Drone squad behind a tank. Can the Drone Squad use the markerlight counter to call in a seeker missile from my pyrannha that is flanking the tank ? Or does it have to be another squad of FW or a Suit ?
    MindRaked
    CHAOS Undiv.: won 14/22 games EC: 4/7 WE: 6/9 DG: 10/15, TS: 3/7 Orks : 13/20 SM NL : 1/6 TAU: 14 of 24 IG: 3/7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

Oh you definitely can, in fact, you'll find their specific name beside their 'real' name that starts with (Tau : xxx) will be able to benefit from the markerlight, vehicles too.
    Anima Tactics - try it out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

201 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by nekochen View Post
    Oh you definitely can, in fact, you'll find their specific name beside their 'real' name that starts with (Tau : xxx) will be able to benefit from the markerlight, vehicles too.
    Ok, so can I use my Shas'ui to mark targets and 2 independant pyrannhas to fire each other missiles into vehicles ?
    MindRaked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, you can.

Just remember the difference between a standard markerlight (ie, Firewarriors, Stealth Teams) and a Networked markerlight. Standard Markerlights can be used by anything in the army that fires AFTER the unit that shot the markerlight (if you get my drift). Ie, Firewarrior Squad 1 fires a markerlight at the Rhino, but Firewarrior Squad 1 can't spend that markerlight token (since they fired it). Only units that fire subsequently can use that token. Networked Markerlights (ie, Skyrays and Sniper Teams) CAN be used by the squad that fired them (and any units that fire afterwards). So a Skyray can mark two targets and use it's own tokens to fire two seeker missiles. Just to say, that in a Markerlight heavy army, you're going to want to prioritize which units you want to be able to spend any markerlight tokens you create, so it might be a good idea to think about the order in which you're going to have your units fire every turn.

Hope this was helpful.
    Only in Death does Duty end.

TAU EMPIRE: 2000pts
    WOOD ELVES: 1000pts (and growing)
    ELDAR: 400pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

201 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Hope this was helpful.

A lot !

Another question : If i choose to use the markerlight to lower the leadership of a unit, when do I use the marker light ? During the shooting phase ? At the moment of the leadership test ? The idea is to use the gun drones in cooperation with pathfinders to pin down units like havocs, destroyers or hq.
    MindRaked

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Y'know, that was something I was wondering myself. Ld tests for pinning are taken at the end of the phase, so it almost seems like it's an exemption to the rule that Markerlight can't affect the shot of it's own unit. Afterall, it isn't an actual rule, it's just a side effect of the fact that the whole unit fires at the same time.

So a squad of pathfinders with railrifles shoots, gets x marker tokens, plus does some pinning wounds. Now, all those shots were fired at the same time, so there's no way the Maerker tokens could assist the BS of the railrifles. But at the end of the phase, when the ld tests for pinning are made, it stands to reason you could then use the tokens to reduce their leadership vs the pinning, even though it's the same squad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast