Grotz and Morale - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x2)

Grotz and Morale

Quick question, lets say I have a mob of 20 Grotz shielding a mob of 20 boyz and my opponent decides to shoot at my boyz. He scores 10 wounds, and thus I role 8 dice for my 5+ Grot Cover save. I make 5 and fail 5. With this I remove 5 Ork Boyz = 25%, thus make a morale for them (they pass, Waaaaagh!). Now I also remove 5 Grotz due to their shielding, this 5 = 25%, do they have to make a Morale test as well?

Interesting turn of events here too because my friend says no, since they were not his target I don't need to make the test. But I say I do because it was shooting casualties afterall and that is what matters. First time we are each arguing a cause that hinders us

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the grot casualties was from shooting in a single shooting phase. That is all that counts. As per p.47 in the BGB. You must therefore test for morale on the little buggers...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had not heard that the wounds inflicted would effect both the grots and boys,only the boys.
    if the grots successfully provide a cover save then would they not be the only ones to inccur wounds?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyclops View Post
    Quick question, lets say I have a mob of 20 Grotz shielding a mob of 20 boyz and my opponent decides to shoot at my boyz. He scores 10 wounds, and thus I role 8 dice for my 5+ Grot Cover save. I make 5 and fail 5. With this I remove 5 Ork Boyz = 25%, thus make a morale for them (they pass, Waaaaagh!). Now I also remove 5 Grotz due to their shielding, this 5 = 25%, do they have to make a Morale test as well?

Interesting turn of events here too because my friend says no, since they were not his target I don't need to make the test. But I say I do because it was shooting casualties afterall and that is what matters. First time we are each arguing a cause that hinders us

Thanks!

Errrr, wait a second. Are you saying you take casualties from your Grot unit because they were shielding your boyz, but not actually being targeted during the shooting attack? While this makes sense, it's not part of the rules (unless I've totally missed it).

If one of you have a unit of Grots between the enemy and the Boyz being fired at, the Grots don't recieve wounds.. The only way the Grots (or any unit) can take casualties without being fired upon is if they are under a template or in range of some other Area of Effect damage (such as a vehicle exploding). They never take casualties for simply being "in the way".

Also, I believe the Grots or any other unit provide a 4+ Cover Save, not a 5+....but I could be mistaken on that as well.
    Last edited by Darkzephyr; April 22nd, 2009 at 06:07.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

The pevious codex allowed a "grot save". This no longer applies. Now, they simply provide the same cover save as any other intervening infantry. That is, 4+. that also means they never take wounds just from providing cover saves, only if the attack itself directly inflicts wounds on the grots (templates, blasts, etc).

This makes them downright annoying because the opponent has to focus fire specifically on the grots to remove the save now.

Of course, if the attack does actually manage to kill 25% of the grots, they will indeed need to make a morale check at the end of the phase just like any other unit suffering shooting casualties.
    Wargamer Haven, my little cyberspace blogspot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x2)

As Xardian said, that was part of the old Ork Codex, it was a special rule for the grots. With the new Ork Codex that has been removed and with the new 5th Ed cover save rules, the unit providing the ccover does NOT take any wounds/casualties.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

Such was never the case, so far as I can remember.. I didn't play much through 4e.. But it WAS a Grot special rule in the olde Codex.

This is also a very old thread. Viva la thread resurrection! ...
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

lol! Guess that'll teach me to check the OP's date on threads that pop up about old rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Xardian View Post
    lol! Guess that'll teach me to check the OP's date on threads that pop up about old rules
    The funniest part is that I was the original poster and didn't realize that when I initially replied the other day, lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyclops View Post
    The funniest part is that I was the original poster and didn't realize that when I initially replied the other day, lol!
    I feel better now

+ Reply to Thread