Ethereal Usage - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ethereal Usage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Ethereal Usage

Maybe I've got it wrong, but on paper the Ethereal seems to look pretty good.. Okay, he's a 50 point model who can't fight anything, but the ability to reroll morale checks has got to be incredibly useful. Mathematically, that's more chance of staying in the fight than a chaos space marine unit, and it also allows you to try and deliberately fall back if you get locked in combat..

But looking again, I'm beginning to understand.. The price of failure effect is nasty, and yet in order to use an ethereal effectively he has to be visible. The logical result seems to be that the Ethereal is going to get a lot of unwanted attention..

What I'm interested in is how would you go about using an ethereal.. Whereabouts should he be deployed? Is it worth getting drones to negate the dangers of being an independent character in close combat? Should the unit he's in have a transport to allow them to move between the safest 'inspiring' positions.

Also, what about the honour guard.. Are they worth it, and how best to use them? I can see the virtue in giving the shas'ui a markerlight, as it's no more expensive than a regular fire team markerlight and is BS4, but other than that, it just seems quite expensive and vulnerable.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

General consensus was that he was not quite worth it before, when you did not need LOS to use his ld re-roll. Now that they have made him worse (God know why), no one really thinks he's worth it at all.

In a cave underneath the great mountains gaurding a treassure you'll never find
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Well we had one useful ethereal in last codex. Aun'Shi was cool and could be used. But now ethereal isn't worth buying, well it's a rather cool model so I have some, but that only for painting and converting matters.

And yes Honor guards are great, but they with just pulse weapons they can't really use their better BS to take out important units.
    But to deal with infantry they are really good

I actually think that an HQ of one Ethereal w/ Honor blade and six Honor guards w/shas'ui, drone controller and two shield drones could be rather nasty and it costs 144 (perhaps I should try it sometime).

But in general no ethereals aren't worth their cost
    Dragons do flame.... but only when they are upset or they want to

According to new signature rules my hydra (the only reason for it to be here was to please Caluin) have been removed. But still dragons pwnz hydras anytime

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis
    What I'm interested in is how would you go about using an ethereal..
    He's not asking if the Ethereal is worth it, people, and since that question's been asked and answered too many times, let's leave it alone and answer what the guy asked.

Honestly, in a Mechanised army, the Etheral has no place, so I'll focus on a more static army. You must use his IC status to full effect - surround him with squads. Don't let the enemy shoot him, and try to block CC routes with squads of Fire Warriors, Broadsides, vehicles, and the likes. If you have to, charge a small unit of FW into the CC just to get your Ethereal away.

That's the best way I can think of to use him.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post
    He's not asking if the Ethereal is worth it, people, and since that question's been asked and answered too many times, let's leave it alone and answer what the guy asked.

Honestly, in a Mechanised army, the Etheral has no place, so I'll focus on a more static army. You must use his IC status to full effect - surround him with squads. Don't let the enemy shoot him, and try to block CC routes with squads of Fire Warriors, Broadsides, vehicles, and the likes. If you have to, charge a small unit of FW into the CC just to get your Ethereal away.

That's the best way I can think of to use him.
    Well it depends on how you ese him, an Ethereal with Honour guard (its honour guard people and not that silly americanised spelling Honor)is quite at rights to take a Devilfish, it says in the codex that Honour guard have all the options open to a normal FW unit, so a devilfish can be selected.
    Now I have never played this unit but 11 FW (you have to leave a space for the Ethereal) in a DF at BS4 in rapid fire range with the option to re-roll moral tests seems pretty good to me, only problem is you would have to play the unit extremely carefully because odds are the unit is going to be up front close to the opponent and the Ethereal has no IC status so can be targeted as part of the unit, and if he dies he will be in LOS of a lot of Tau units (because they will be engaging the enemy).
    This could prove to be disastrous, however in the hands of a skilled player I could see some benefits, only real problem I can see for my list is I lose an HQ XV8 and that to me is just not worth the trade of.
    The DF option is the only real way I can see to get even a small benefit out of an Ethereal, Nems point about static armies just shows one of the main problems of Ethereal's on foot as IC, is the fact that your having to devote considerable resources just to protect the Ethereal and really thats not good as it restricts your tactical options.
    I would never take an Ethereal but I suppose if you wanted a fluffy list the Ethereal, HG,DF combo would be OK, if difficult to keep safe and a tad expensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

i disagree. i have a static tau army and i think the ethereal can be very useful when used right. i give him a full honour guard with pulse rifles. and the extra bs seems to always help (why do i roll so many three's?) and with twelve firewariors it will be hard to kill the ethereal. the only problem is it exspensive at close to 200 points so i only use it for my higher point list. thats my two cent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Rikimaru has a point. I have an ethereal in a warfish so I get 29 BS4 S5 shots. I also gave them photon grenades. (I know ML could help too but you have to get them in position w/ some kind of LOS.)

Is it really that bad if he dies? So some of your stuff falls back, maybe but no allies or vehicles. Then you get favored enemy. Just don't keep your firing line(s) too close to the table edges. Try to make it so if he dies you will fall back through difficult terrain and get a bonding knife on any large squads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "plus" side to Ethereal abilities on their own... they don't seem so great. I'd rather try to use Shadowsun for a broadcast Morale boost... so maybe the Honour Guard is the real up-side to the Ethereal?

And what would Tau units actually do with Favored Enemy? Has anyone tried using this, and what did it actually accomplish?

I think the appeal of a fluffy list is the best thing (you sure as heck will fight to protect that Ethereal)... and the Honour Guard/Devilfish might even make it worthwhile (BS4 Pulse fire is nothing to scoff at), as long as you're doing FoF & your opponents don't know which Devilfish they need to nuke first.

+ Reply to Thread