War Walkers with Bright Lances - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

War Walkers with Bright Lances

I have never used War Walkers much, but the new models are really cool and I am considering adding a few to my army.

I am putting together a list focused around a stealth theme, and so I want to include some War Walkers due to their fluff and their Scout special rule. My army is currently lacking in anti-tank. Currently, the only thing I have that can deal with Land Raiders and the like is a squad of Swooping Hawks.

This brings me to my main point: Is 3 War Walkers with 6 Bright Lances a viable anti-tank option? I am a little reluctant to throw 270 points into a squad of 3 weakly armored vehicles which can be taken out by an unlucky bolter shot.

I would appreciate input on whether or not people think this is a viable set up, or whether people think I should use something else, and if so, what?

"What do Humans know of our pain? We have sung songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea."
    - Farseer Eldrad Ulthran of Craftworld Ulthwe

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you need cheap anti tank then warwalkers with bright lances is the way to go, ur gonna have to guide them though, to make sure they kill the tank they're shooting at. If you wanna go a little cheaper you can give them all a brightlance and missle launcher instead of two brightlances a piece, not as good at killing armor higher than 12 but just as good at nething 12 or lower, and they'll have some anti troop capabilities.
    Last edited by xinsanityx; January 12th, 2007 at 02:48.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Could you be a bit more specific about your army? If you need general anti-tank, Walkers with dual Scatter Lasers can deal with most vehicles due to their huge amount of shots. If your opponents usually field many AV13\14 vehicles, a couple of Walkers with Brightlances could work nice,but they quickly sink your points.
    It would be useful to know how many Heavy slots you can still use, and how your Troops\Elites\etc can deal with enemy vehicles. And...the most important thing...do you have a Farseer with Guide? It really boosts WarWalkers' efficiency.

Actually Playing:
    40k : Necron ,Chaos, Space Orks ,Eldar ,Dark Angels, 'Nyds
    WHFB : Orks & Gobbos, Vampire Counts

G3n3s1s is located at:
    44°30′N 11°21′E

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

I prefer a full squadron of three warwalkers with missile launchers mainly for their range which can enable them to avoid some heavy weaponry, multi-purpose role so you're not limited to anti-tank support and they're quite a bit cheaper than brightlances.

Support Barrage platforms wouldn't be too bad in this army as opposed to warwalkers. Vibro-cannons are pretty decent for their auto glance against vehicles, it can certainly put an end to those nasty Land Raiders and Monoliths. D-cannons arn't a bad alternative, granted they have relatively short range but after a few games you'll realise that isn't too much of a problem. The bonus of D-cannons is that they also offer you a 24" area of terrain where your army can sit in as a majourity of the time your opponent will be too weary of them to monouver his forces in range given a choice.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

I've got a similar issue to Scorpion_062, I don't know what his army is but my army has 18 Pathfinders and a planned 16 Warp Spiders w/2 Exarchs(included in 16). Have 11 Spiders so far and all 18 Pathfinders. The only things I currently own for anti-tank a farseer w/a singing spear who I am going to replace, a brightlance platform, and a falcon with the pulse laser on it.

I need more sources of anti-tank and in a 1500pt game I don't want to put a lot on the farseer(not that I'll have much room,) and i don't want to take the guardians. So I'm wondering whether or not warwalkers would be a good investment or if I'd be better off with a Fire Prism/Wraithlord/Falcons.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like Heiromyo said, 3 Walkers with Bright Lances is too much of a point sink. You said it, 270 points. It will blow something up, but even killing a Land Raider Crusader can't make your squadron's points back. (Oh and in any game you might find some vehicle that expensive, there's bound to be something in the opposing army that will wipe your squadron out next turn - 3 AV10 vehicles that are worth that much seems inviting to me!)

I would normally opt for only one type of Walker: Scatter Lasers. The volume of shots coupled with the moderate strength can actually give you versatility with your squadron, besides being cheap in points. 24 shots wipes out things from Marines to Ork hordes, and by the way, Land Speeder squadrons at that. And the range gives you protection from the basic weapons of all races, at the very least. (Say, pulse rifles?)

If you really want anti-tank, i would vouch for Dragons in Serpents (I used to think Falcons, but not anymore...) That effectively deals with Terminators, big monsters and heavy tanks.

Reminder to Walkers: If your opponent wants to kill your walkers, they will get destroyed, and there's pretty much nothing you can do about it. Just make sure the squadron pours out a considerable amount of shots before it goes boom. of course, if you've got some decoys that have a bigger caution factor, your opponent might ignore the walkers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Bloodwithin, Scatter lasers is the way to go. It keeps the cost down and therefore makes them slightly less of a target (though your opponent will no doubt be intimidated by the 24 dice you pick from just three models).

Also, you could always go with the alternate Viper's with 2 Shuriken Catapults. They cost the same points, have 2 less shots but move fast so only suffer glancing hits.

Personally I am going to start playing with both Walkers and Vipers as it provides many AV10 targets for your opponent to prioritise.

Vipers also have the added benefit of being able to reach that vulnerable side/rear armour.

All depends on what other heavies and fast options you are taking though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

I am a big fan of walkers with scatter lasers or Shuriken cannon

As an anti tank though, 3 walkers with bright lances, IMHO, is overkill, at the most I would take 2, I tend to cope with 1, not much has AV13+ on all locations and if you go for high number of both vypers and walkers you have plenty of str6 shots
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

What about Fire Dragons in the Falcon & a Wraithlord w/brightlance & an EML for anti-tank would that be good in 1500pts or do you think I would need more?
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about Fire Dragons in the Falcon & a Wraithlord w/brightlance & an EML for anti-tank would that be good in 1500pts or do you think I would need more?
    OK let's just say any vehicle that is NOT a skimmer will be blown up with one salvo of fusion fire. Yes it is a great anti-tank; the only problem is the Falcon. (I used to think so too) Falcons are great battle tanks, capable of shooting 6 S6 shots and 2 S8 shots at a cheap price; problem is when you put Dragons inside you have to zoom them up the first turn. That means you effectively loses one turn of shooting that could have blown up infantry or light tanks, just to blow up ONE big tank, or one monster. And most probably, the Dragons are going to die to shooting or assault next turn, which limits the usefulness of the Dragons-in-Falcon unit as a whole. Utilize your Falcons and keep them shooting like any old battle tank; treat it like a faster Hammerhead. if you must use Dragons, I would suggest Dragons (max out squad if you can) in a Serpent. After all serpents ARE meant to be transport vehicles.

Wraithlord with Bright Lance and EML is great. (Better BS helps) Though to save points I would drop the EML myself.

If you have these in an 1500 point army, anti-tank is fine. Though it would be wise to have a singing spear or two.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast