Wych Weapons and my First Purchase - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wych Weapons and my First Purchase

I am just about to order my first set of Dark Eldar figures. I am looking to get 1 Raider, 20 Warriors, 10 Wyches, and a Lord. I would prefer to get more raiders, but they are awfully expensive. At any rate, this seems like a good booster pack to see what I like. Wych cult really appeals to me, but I also like playing mobile shooty armies. I am thinking of also trying a Warp Beast pack but we'll see how this force goes first.

Next, instead of purchasing DE Wyches I am going to purchase the Dark Elf wyches from fantasy. How will this affect WYSIWYG and wych weapons? Are there any simple solutions to this issue?

I would appreciate any advice on my first purchasing choice or anything DE for that matter. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get yourself 4 Dark Lance warriors when you can, It'll let you run 2 sniper squads and they typically perform very well.

I use the DE witches myself, im picking 7 blisters of them up tomorrow, I don't really see such a big problem, they all have 2 weapons which you can technically call hydraknives. I'm not too fussed about the nets but i will see if i can glue some splinter pistols on them and maybe convert one to a succubus with an agoniser.

For warp beasts i used the Goblin Wolfriders Boxed Set. You get 10 wolves and just dont stick the goblin riders on them. Potentially giving you 2 warp beast packs if u decide to go for a wych cult army later on and also best value for money imho.

For a beast master i used the Wood Elf lord with great weapon and just did a bit of customizing on him :shifty:

I was going to say get incubi, but you are swaying more towards a wych cult, in which case raiders are your friends
    Fear the awesome wrath of The ANZAC Clan!!!

Aussie Bogan: Beer Drinking, Steak Eating, Thong Wearing Maniac!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks

Thanks for the advice... sounds like a good start for me. However, is it really okay for me to only have 1 raider? I kind of wanted to do all mech dark eldar and swarm the board with raiders and ravagers... is this competitive?

Next question... what kind of DE configuration does well against Orks? Since I'll be playing at lower point levels I'll be facing Orks an awful lot... they really aren't as bad as people say. They wipe the floor with my Chaos Space Marines in combat patrols on a regular basis. There are just so many of them!

Finally, you mentioned buying dark lances... do the warrior sprues come with any special weapons like blasters, dark lances, or the assault catapult weapon?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In your warrior sprues you'll typically only have splinter cannons which are quite good to a certain extent.

Dark Lances and Blasters you need to buy in blisters.

You'll find swarming the boad with raiders and ravagers can be very devastating providing you have enough cover to keep them from being shot up before they can do their job.

That being said, my 1000pt army only has 3 raiders and no ravagers. I do tend to rely quite heavily on my Wych squads and my HQ to get their hands dirty. My HQ has the potential for 18 power attacks on the charge at I5 and another 5 at I7 + combat drugs.

I use incubi however, and if you are focusing on a wych cult you may as well focus more on just getting wych squads on raiders in there. Whatever you do, never, ever, EVER, run your wych squads outside a raider (this is a personal opinion).

Warp beasts would do well against orks, sure they have crummy saves, but their initiative is good. a pack of 5 would get 20 attacks on the charge + the beastmaster with an agoniser.

I think the wyches should hold their own against orks, with the ability to halve their WS and reduce their attacks to the basic 1 coupled with their Dodge save i think they're more than capable. Have a warp beast pack supporting a wych squad in combat and you should do quite well!
    Fear the awesome wrath of The ANZAC Clan!!!

Aussie Bogan: Beer Drinking, Steak Eating, Thong Wearing Maniac!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have some experience playing nids, which like orks are very swarmy (if that’s a word.) What has worked for me is to load up a raider with 10 guys, 1 with a cannon, and another with either a blaster or a shredder. Give the raider a dissy and just hover around shooting the swarms to pieces. (Easier said than done.) You do need to have enough boats out there to make this strategy work. I have also learned that it helps to have some type of close combat ability because eventually the raiders will get shot down. To counter this, I usually add a sybarite with an agonsiser (or poison blades against swarms) to each raider squad along with a raider mounted Wyche squad.

+ Reply to Thread