Dire Avenger Exarch Options Poll. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which weapons?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Two DA shuri cats

59 58.42%
  • Diresword and pistol

8 7.92%
  • powerwapon and shimmershield

32 31.68%
  • none

2 1.98%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

Dire Avenger Exarch Options Poll.

Same as banshees but what to give your DA exarch. I was going for powerweapon and shimmer shield, but then thought that maybe the diresword would be better. THEN I started really thinking and wondered if getting into CC with these guys was really worth it! So maybe the two cannons would be best? Help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I could give my DA exarch two shuriken cannons. That would be cool. Alas however, I normally equip mine with dual exarch catapults and bladestorm. If I have the points defend aswell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

IMO, the diresword and pistol is the best option. Sure, you could get 2-3 shooting attacks more for 5 points less, but with the amount of shots that the squad already put out those 2-3 attacks wont do much diffrence. Also, consider that if anything survives the innitial bladestorm, it is a) possibly MEQs, and b) either in CC with your squad next turn or c) standing within charge range of your squad, but you cant shoot at them because of the bladestorm. There is no reason at all not to want a power weapon in that squad, is there? And though direswords are neutered versions of SM force weapons, they ARE still capable of swiping an IC or a MC in one blow with a little luck.

Direswords > everytning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I like to use my DA to shoot, and then lock in HtH enemies, while my banshees countercharge the enemy. It's a bit hard on the DA, but I feel that this way they are worth every single point spent on them.
    As a second best choice, I like the idea of smaller units with bladestorm and 2 catapults.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the two shuri cannons is the best setup, as it puts the unit in its pure shooting role. I have one unit setup this way, and one Exarch setup with the shimmershield though, mostly because I think it is a great looking model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the two catapults best. Threre really is no reason to make him for close combat because you should be keeping DA's out of combat anyways.

Plus, the model looks cool with the two catapults.
    We are highly advanced males of masculinity!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shimmer shield and Power weapon. All the way. Two avenger cats is a bit of a waste considering the volume of shots you're already getting, and the diresword is really only useful if you're character hunting, which they're really not all that suited for. In CC, a full 10 man squad with a shimmer shield and defend is tough as nails, and one HELL of a good anvil to support the hammer of a Banshee, Shining Spear or Harlequin charge into some hard-nut units. Even by themselves they're pretty badass. I had 2 unit of DAs get dug in with two space wolf packs (including the wolf lord and his librarian) and when the game ended they'd hung on for 3 turns, and killed off everyone but the librarian with almost a full squad left for him to handle. Sure if they bladestorm and their target is still around, it's likely an MEQ. But honestly, the added utility is just too damned good to pass up, in my opinion. Keep these guys out of an easy firing line, and either shooting or getting into the thick of it with a CC unit right behind them and they are beasts.

Hunched Over My Workbench, furiously painting away.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

twin shuri-cats for me please!

I primarily use my DAs for quick strike or swoop-n-grab forces. So I'm either dropping them out of a serpent and letting them gun away against lighter troops, or I'm zipping them up to an objective near the end of the game.

I also tend to use the DA in conjunction with additional fire support (if needed) so if their bladestorm doesn't wipe out the intended target, a volley of shuri-cannon or scatter lasers usually will.

If the DA get into CC, I've probably timed something wrong (or just rolled like crap, as per usual)
    Baby, when I'm the voice of reason, we've got problems!
    ~artificer

Someone should stop
    Jervis "let's make it easy enough for a 3 year old to play" Johnson
    before he turns 40k into checkers

~anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Mine's a tie between shuricats and the shimmershield. I never take one squad of DA, always two or three with at least one of those set up with the shimmershield and power weapon with defend.

If your in range to hit something with two groups of twenty shots, hitting with an extra twelve per group never hurt you as long as your not fool enough to have everything hang on those sixty four shots.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

Depends how you want them to play really. I personally use twin shuriken catapults because i have a waveserent to get them places quickly, so shooting is quit certain.

Dire Avengers arn't really suited for close combat, they can hold a defensive in combat using the shimmer sheild and defend exarch power which is good for keep an opponent tied up but this is really only useful if they are a front line infantry for you. Useful in holding objectives...or at least contesting them.

Diresword and pistol offers you the bog standard squad leader option where he typically is built for combat. Quite useful I guess if your opponent survives initial shooting and you need to kill off the last dregs in an assault.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast